Cyclone Boom

Simtropolis 9.0.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

479 posts in this topic Last Reply

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:32 AM, Dirktator said:

Indeed hopefully this was temporary as we were moving STEX files to a new storage location. The move of the files should be complete now and those errors should have fixed itself... But if you encounter a similar error please report it. Thanks. 

Hey Dirk @Dirktator... just checking back in and took another shot at trying to download the lots again by user Diamond. Attempted it about five minutes ago and I get the same error message:

"Mayor we have a problem.... File Not Found. Error code 3D161/G"

It's not imperative I have the file or anything but it is a curious thing. Have you guys ever run into past scenarios where certain files just didn't get uploaded for an odd reason?

14 minutes ago, spiritualfire said:

Hey Dirk @Dirktator... just checking back in and took another shot at trying to download the lots again by user Diamond. Attempted it about five minutes ago and I get the same error message:

"Mayor we have a problem.... File Not Found. Error code 3D161/G"

It's not imperative I have the file or anything but it is a curious thing. Have you guys ever run into past scenarios where certain files just didn't get uploaded for an odd reason?

It's possible that some files in our STEX may have been inadvertently clobbered over the years. Can you give me a direct link to the file in question and I'll take a look.

@Silur Ok, so step-by-step: I selected the Lots category,  I entered page 57 and scrolled to the bottom where the lot is. I bring up the Industrial Complex Lots, select "Download File" and then I'm supposed to get a Save option window.

But on this particular file, it takes me to a new window and states the File Not Found with the error code....

Interesting. I even used the link you provided and I get the same thing. I don't know. I tried all of Diamond's industrial lots.

2 minutes ago, spiritualfire said:

But on this particular file, it takes me to a new window and states the File Not Found with the error code....

I get the error too. *:(

1 hour ago, spiritualfire said:

@CorinaMarie Yay, I don't feel so alone anymore!

And even better: No less than Dirk himself is looking into this right now. (I'm making silly suggestions and he's doing the techy part. *:lol: )

In the meantime, let's put out a call to anyone who might have the original download. If you have this, please attach it to a post in this thread and we can use that to fix this problem.

@spiritualfire

So, here's the latest. Dirk and CB teamed up and said weird things back and forth like:

• The file size is meant to be 164827 bytes.
  • Querying the record ID.
  • Can you find that on storage?
  • record_location: 2948f1bcd6706d58407fd892a54aa000-I
  • OK, I've checked in the root of the files.simtropolis storage
  • /repository/files/2948f1bcd6706d58407fd892a54aa000-I%C2%A7-industries.zip
  • The "%C2%A7" is the simoleon symbol.
  • I've got the file!

They plan to chat with IPS to see if the linkys can be fixed before we brute force re-upload it. In the meantime, here's the file:

On 08/10/2017 at 3:58 AM, CorinaMarie said:

Dirk and CB teamed up and said weird things

Well this confirms how I imagine what happens in the back rooms of ST. You know, dark places needs sinister talking like halloween in bright sunlight never could be fun. 

I developed a simtropolis conspiration development formular for this, proudly presenting it the first time to public:

helm.jpg   x ( Pink Tractor + 1) =  d062154eb7860f16d772feb25a65d189.jpg

2 hours ago, huzman said:

Just now, I got:

Weird. At least we've moved from that nasty ol' 3D161/G error to the much more friendly 2C171/1 error. :boggle: I checked it last night by actually downloading it from my linky and again just now. Can you try again? Maybe ST was sneezing at the time.

Edit: Ok, so I tried with a guest account and got the same error. I'm now guessing that's because I copied the linky from @Cyclone Boom's PM and maybe it's stored in a restricted area only we admins can get to. I've edited my post above with a new attachment I made directly to the post. I then successfully downloaded it as a guest. Give the 2nd linky there a try and let me know if that one works for you.

• Original Poster
  • We're pleased to confirm the error with the industrial file has now been fixed and successfully downloads:

*:)

Indeed as hinted by the above tech talk transcript, it turns out the Simoleon symbol (§) was responsible here. This is one of many special characters we suspect are among file names, and cause an incompatibility in the database. The problem being the correct download URL isn't being referenced (the character cannot be stored), and that causes the resulting not found error. Basically it doesn't know where to look, and the system has no ability to find the file anywhere other than the location specified.

Based on some of the comments on these files, it's also likely to have been a lingering undetected issue for a good few years.

From early indications, it seems these files are still intact on the server. So we'll be finding a way to either fix them manually as was the case here, explore the possibility to perform a batch update, or address the issue of compatibility. In the meantime, please keep letting us know of any such errors.

is there a way to hotlink images to a club album? I have so many pictures on my .com that are buried in facebook somewhere and archives somewhere else and dont want to have to find them. Dragging from my website to the upload box doesnt work in Chrome, and in Edge it acts like its working but infact its not. Not worried about bandwidth on my website.

1 hour ago, redfox85 said:

Dragging from my website to the upload box doesnt work in Chrome, and in Edge it acts like its working but infact its not. Not worried about bandwidth on my website.

You can't quite do that.. You'd first have to drag the image from your website to your desktop so that a physical file is created, and then you can drag from your desktop to the ST Gallery uploader. That's your best bet.

Sorry - most probably this is linked to the fiefox update (56.0.1) not to the site but lately on every page I open FF asks me if I want to accept messages from ST. Seems FF has got the capacity for remembering of a mayfly (~3 seconds) on this. Does somebody knows a trick to extend it?

Firefox complains about the security of the site (mixed content) and blocks quite a few elements which are supposedly still http. Specifically, the "Quote" button isn't there, the usual reply box doesn't have any elements to actually type anything, and also the edit function (which is still there) comes up with an empty field. I guess it doesn't want me to post here anymore.

I would add a special permission, but for whatever reason (no certificate I guess), Firefox doesn't even give me that option for Simtropolis. I'm using Chrome as a workaround, so this issue is more in the "nuisance" category at the moment.

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, Turjan said:

Firefox complains about the security of the site (mixed content) and blocks quite a few elements which are supposedly still http.

All local site content (images, style sheets and scripts) should now be hosted on HTTPS. However there may be other content such as external images which aren't served via the secure protocol. By default Firefox blocks mixed active content such as scripts and styles. Since these are what form page layouts and provide interactive elements, to me it sounds like this may have occurred and resulted in the issues you've observed.

To check what items have been blocked, try opening the Browser Console (Ctrl+Shift+J). Then reload an affected page and filter for the mixed content detected, typing "mixed" in the box on the top right. For example from the current page in this thread:

FF-Mixed Content Example.png

These two images use HTTP only, resulting in an orange warning shown on the location bar. As these are passive items only (static), they are allowed to load. I'm not aware of any scripts which aren't transferred securely, but this page should confirm whether Firefox is blocking any that might be present.

1 hour ago, Turjan said:

I guess it doesn't want me to post here anymore.

Firefox is clearly fighting a losing battle in that case. We'll get to the bottom of it. *:)

Thank you all for the feedback and the tip with the console, and indeed, it's not Firefox's fault. The console came up with some complaints about the noscript extension. I noticed that the extension's control button was gone, so I just removed the whole extension, and that solved the issue. I assume all those "type error" kind of messages are more for you and your colleagues.

I looks like you will have to put up with me for the time being *:thumb:. Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Turjan said:

Thank you for the tip with the console, and indeed, it's not Firefox's fault. The console came up with some complaints about the noscript extension.

Me too! I am using Firefox 56.0 with Noscript extension and the are XSS issue (with message "noscript filtered a potential cross-site scripting (xss) attempt from...") when click Download button at STEX since few week ago, just before @Cyclone Boom fix the download error since few days ago. Today, no more XSS error after clicking Download button! Almost clean! :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • On 17/10/2017 at 7:21 AM, Turjan said:

The console came up with some complaints about the noscript extension. I noticed that the extension's control button was gone, so I just removed the whole extension, and that solved the issue.

Glad to hear you managed to catch the culprit. *:)

Perhaps a possibility is NoScript blocked the files from running, and this may have caused the loss of functionality. There is actually one source which was recently added from the content.invisioncic.com address, and script blockers such as NoScript usually disallow new external domains by default.

On 17/10/2017 at 7:30 AM, AsimPika3172 said:

I am using Firefox 56.0 with Noscript extension and the are XSS issue (with message "noscript filtered a potential cross-site scripting (xss) attempt from...")

Just to add should anyone else be experiencing this with NoScript's XSS protection enabled, a workaround is to add an exception rule. The way it works, I think NoScript is extra cautious and blocks the download because the file is linked and stored off-site, when the request is first locally handled.

So in security terms, this can be considered a false positive.

From testing this out, I've found adding the following will allow the download to process:

^https://([^/]+\.)?nyc3.digitaloceanspaces\.com/simtropolis/

(This may be subject to change over the coming weeks, but is the current new location where STEX files are stored.)

In NoScript's Advanced Options, on the XSS tab:

NoScript XSS Whitelist.png

Paste the above rule in here, adding on a new line if there are existing rules. (I removed the default ones here for clarity.)

Then press OK, and STEX files should successfully download as expected.

----------

Request Blocked Errors

On a different note, there have been some reports the past few days of CloudFront "Request blocked" errors when accessing the site. We're aware of this and rest assured it's due to a temporary network fault with the hosting provider, not through any of your own wrongdoing. Basically it seems their firewall has gone into "self-preservation mode", and is blocking traffic from legitimate sources. Should you experience this for any prolonged duration, it may help to reboot your router if that assigns a new IP address.

Over the coming days there will be changes made to fully resolve this and related performance issues.

Thanks all.