Jump to content
Cyclone Boom

Simtropolis 9.0.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

496 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

It's strange though how some members totals are higher while others are lower. I would expect one to have the higher numbers all around, sounds like it might not be an easy fix.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

To account for a wider range of users, the daily totals currently use the PST (UTC-8) time zone. So if you were in a later time zone, this means the daily cut-off point would be after your midnight (e.g. 3am EST).

This may explain why you were leading with 15 rep as pictured, but then @Hamish must've had a strong finish to reach 19 rep in the time remaining.

(Sorry, rather ironically, I think your marvellous Trixies Interview is responsible for that!)  :whatevs:

Didn't realize that, makes sense now thanks for the info.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

I'm not sure on the method of the tiebreaker, but I suspect it's based on the earlier or later received rep (i.e. on countback).

In such instances, I would support a draw being declared, as time is merely a quantitative variable, unlike the rep being given. And contrary to sports, there doesn't always need to be outright podium winners!

Yes agreed, that would be the fairest way to go about it. 

On 3/4/2017 at 10:25 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

Leaderboard Performance

By the way... *:read:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond? For me, loading these intermittently takes upwards of 45 seconds.

Noticed the same, it's always taken a long time to load, I just assumed that there was a lot of data for the program to go through.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, Hamish said:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder by hijacking your thunder and using it against your own thunder :???:

lol *:lol: no worries. I wouldn't want it the other way around either since both parties contribute to the interview but would it be possible for both the interviewer and the interviewee to receive the rep from their respective interviews? I'm guessing it could be done manually but then it wouldn't count on the leaderboard. Either way it's not a big deal it's cool enough that a lot of people seem to be checking out the interviews. 

dk1 is leading the rep count for today and I suppose it's possible that other members have liked his content 30 times today but it kind of seems a little unlikely considering he has posted anything on the site in 5+ years :golly:


@Cyclone Boom Something is definitely wonky with the leaderboard the last few days. Yesterday it was dk1 and today bixel is leading the rep count - with 83 no less! :golly:quite possibly a single day record. But strangely enough bixel hasn't posted or even logged onto the site in over a year and none of his content is shown as having been given a like in the list of popular content leaders for the day, stranger days indeed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • On 05/03/2017 at 3:25 AM, Cyclone Boom said:

    I'm not sure on the method of the tiebreaker, but I suspect it's based on the earlier or later received rep (i.e. on countback).

    Some additional info on Leaderboard tiebreakers:

    Apparently there's no such thing. According to IPS, ties are only split by whichever results are first pulled from the database. So in other words, a logical method isn't used.

    An even bigger case for draws then...

     

    On 05/03/2017 at 5:58 AM, Takingyouthere said:

    I wouldn't want it the other way around either since both parties contribute to the interview but would it be possible for both the interviewer and the interviewee to receive the rep from their respective interviews?

    No probs, I'll sort that out for you and the other interviewees once they're all posted. Made a note of it in a file named:  Simtropolis to do List.docx  *:read:

    Like you say though, this wouldn't affect the Leaderboards or any time-measured rep total.

     

    On 05/03/2017 at 5:58 AM, Takingyouthere said:

    Something is definitely wonky with the leaderboard the last few days. Yesterday it was dk1 and today bixel is leading the rep count - with 83 no less!

    After investigating this, it would seem both @dk1 and @bixel had a whole bunch of their existing STEX files liked. On each day, this caused them to acquire enough rep to claim the lead, and pip you to the post on both occasions. In bixel's case, a momentous gain indeed.

    There were two separate users involved (which I won't bring to light here). Although from past & present evidence, we believe the circumstances for them liking the files was genuine, with no ill intent to prevent you winning the daily total. So based on that, we're reluctant to make changes which would reverse this and alter the standings. The community is in charge of these Leaderboards, and manually adjusting would take control away, and also set a precedent for the future.

    If interested, it's possible to check by visiting the rep activity for dk1 and bixel on their profiles. Since these are single instances (each file), it explains why they aren't shown in the "Popular Content" list. On both days, the lowest individual item has 2 likes.

    The fact that any content can be liked at any time, means this is really a limitation of the system. Exactly the same with new content, it's possible for older files, posts, or other items to receive rep, and count to that day's standings. So in theory, this means anyone with at least one content item can achieve this.

    Looking back at the history, it seems this isn't the first time an inactive user has attained 1st place. I guess it's just one of those things which by chance, has occurred two days in a row whilst you were leading. Sorry about that!

    (However, especially with your return to the CJ scene, I'm sure #47 can only be a matter of time.)  *;)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    I've been having that page refresh bug, too, in case it helps. I usually use Firefox, but have noticed the problem on other browsers as well. Refreshing manages to load the right page, but it takes a manual refresh, as otherwise the page merely hangs. Happened right here in this thread, too, as I was scanning back the archives to see if others had already reported it.

     

    Just another user to add onto the pile of people reporting bugs, just so that the software providers have a harder time claiming it's isolated. *;)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

     

    5 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

    Some additional info on Leaderboard tiebreakers:

    Apparently there's no such thing. According to IPS, ties are only split by whichever results are first pulled from the database. So in other words, a logical method isn't used.

    An even bigger case for draws then...

    That makes even less sense then, but on the bright side at least now we know why it's happening lol. It's too bad that the end users have limited control over some aspects/parameters of the software being used. 

    5 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

    After investigating this, it would seem both @dk1 and @bixel had a whole bunch of their existing STEX files liked. On each day, this caused them to acquire enough rep to claim the lead, and pip you to the post on both occasions. In bixel's case, a momentous gain indeed.

    There were two separate users involved (which I won't bring to light here). Although from past & present evidence, we believe the circumstances for them liking the files was genuine, with no ill intent to prevent you winning the daily total. So based on that, we're reluctant to make changes which would reverse this and alter the standings. The community is in charge of these Leaderboards, and manually adjusting would take control away, and also set a precedent for the future.

    If interested, it's possible to check by visiting the rep activity for dk1 and bixel on their profiles. Since these are single instances (each file), it explains why they aren't shown in the "Popular Content" list. On both days, the lowest individual item has 2 likes.

    The fact that any content can be liked at any time, means this is really a limitation of the system. Exactly the same with new content, it's possible for older files, posts, or other items to receive rep, and count to that day's standings. So in theory, this means anyone with at least one content item can achieve this.

    Looking back at the history, it seems this isn't the first time an inactive user has attained 1st place. I guess it's just one of those things which by chance, has occurred two days in a row whilst you were leading. Sorry about that!

    (However, especially with your return to the CJ scene, I'm sure #47 can only be a matter of time.)  *;)


    Oh that's totally cool, the only thing I was worried about was that it could of been a bug and I'm more than happy to hear that isn't the case. I can see what your saying going through the files and I have to say that I have absolutely no issues at all with the rep that was given. As far as I'm concerned anyone can give as many likes to anyone else at any point in time for whatever reason they so chose. In fact you don't have to go too far back to find a member who received 100 likes in a single day!(Feindbold Dec 6, 2016) And I'm guessing that reaching 100 wasn't exactly a coincidence *:lol: Perhaps if the members giving the likes had signed up that same day it might of seemed suspicious, which is not the case here as both have been members for years. But even if that was the case then I'm not sure if I'd agree with any action being taken. Who's to say they didn't legitimately sign up just so that they could give thanks to and support the work of that particular content creator. And those creators in question here; bixel & dk1, have both supplied outstanding content to the community so any rep points given to them is entirely deserved *:thumb: 

    To be honest though I'm of the opinion that the daily leaderboard is a little bit silly. I'm guessing it was brought as more of a curiosity or as fun thing. But in the sense of using it as a measure of a persons contributions it's really not of much value. My total # of wins does make sense relative to my rep count but their are plenty of highly regarded members who don't punch any where near their weight such as Schulmanator & Ln X. It's something that's highly subject to random variation and often the worth of a contribution a member makes on any particular day isn't fully recognized/ disseminated until at least a few days after the fact, which is why I would be much more interested in a list of weekly or month leaders but for now I take it that the software isn't capable of showing those totals. *sigh* If only the leaderboard page wasn't so slow... Anyhow thanks again for looking into things.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, APSMS said:

    I've been having that page refresh bug, too, in case it helps. I usually use Firefox, but have noticed the problem on other browsers as well. Refreshing manages to load the right page, but it takes a manual refresh, as otherwise the page merely hangs. Happened right here in this thread, too, as I was scanning back the archives to see if others had already reported it.

     

    Just another user to add onto the pile of people reporting bugs, just so that the software providers have a harder time claiming it's isolated. *;)

    I have the same problem. What is the reason?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 3/6/2017 at 11:40 PM, Takingyouthere said:

    I would be much more interested in a list of weekly or month leaders but for now I take it that the software isn't capable of showing those totals. *sigh*

    You can get weekly and monthly totals on the Leaderboard page as noted in CB's post in the Site Updates & Announcements thread.

    On 12/9/2016 at 6:49 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

    On the top right side, there are several range filtering options, including:

    1uKTIsm.png

     

    And if you go to the Forums page and scroll down you'll find:

    59654eae859c6_11_LeadersForumPage.jpg.351d8e07e66530dde7b07e717c0a2580.jpg

    Where you can also select Month or Year or All Time. This one on the Forums page loads a lot quicker.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 12 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

    That makes even less sense then, but on the bright side at least now we know why it's happening lol. It's too bad that the end users have limited control over some aspects/parameters of the software being used.

    Yes, clearly not much thought has gone into handling ties. The good news is with their intention to expand on the feature, I would suspect more options will be provided for the configuration. It does have enormous potential, and is quite a revolutionary addition for forum communities.

     

    12 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

    As far as I'm concerned anyone can give as many likes to anyone else at any point in time for whatever reason they so chose.

    We completely agree it's fair to allow this freedom, and glad to hear you're supportive of this.

     

    12 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

    In fact you don't have to go too far back to find a member who received 100 likes in a single day!(Feindbold Dec 6, 2016) And I'm guessing that reaching 100 wasn't exactly a coincidence

    Funnily enough for all users, there's a set limit of 100 rep allowed to give each day. So what happened there, I'm guessing someone went on a rampage and used up all their daily allowance at once! :whatevs:

    However, we'd not be against considering a raise or removal of this limit.

     

    12 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

    It's something that's highly subject to random variation and often the worth of a contribution a member makes on any particular day isn't fully recognized/ disseminated until at least a few days after the fact

    That's a good point. Like with sample data, the more there is, the less opportunity for outliers to affect the result. But I suppose it could be seen both ways. By measuring a short timeframe, it does give more chance to a wider range of people. Say if someone made an exceptional post or CJ update, that might equate to enough rep alone to reach the daily summit. Where on a weekly or monthly basis, it more favours those who regularly make consistent contributions.

    Perhaps having separate "winners" would make sense then, to reward both aspects.

     

    10 hours ago, Silur said:

    I have the same problem. What is the reason?

    There could be a combination of factors. So to properly determine exactly what's going on, both the page loading and Leaderboard performance will need further investigation. If server related, it's possible fixing one may fix the other.

    I'll report back with a progress update as and when more information comes to light. *:yes:

     

    5 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

    Where you can also select Month or Year or All Time. This one on the Forums page loads a lot quicker.

    Yes, although they may report different results than the Leaderboard, this widget does perform much better. I'd guess because it's simply retrieving the rep calculations, and not querying where the data is associated (i.e. posts).

    There's also one at the bottom sidebar of the Activity feed, which is expanded to listing the top 20.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

    @RandyE reported a bug to me in chat.  If one goes to a category of the STEX and attempts to upload a file you can get this far and then the drop down won't drop down.

    Thanks, I've made a note in my file and will get that forwarded as a priority.


    Site Performance

    A quick update on this:

    Measures have been taken to mitigate the excessive bot activity. Since it's been an intermittent issue, an assessment will be made tomorrow to determine whether this was successful. From observation, it would seem to have been most noticeable around midday EST.

    Efforts can then begin to address the exact causes of the performance drops (thread pages & leaderboards).

     

    EDIT:

    I've updated the bugs list on the initial page.


      Edited by Cyclone Boom  

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 3/7/2017 at 6:53 AM, CorinaMarie said:

    You can get weekly and monthly totals on the Leaderboard page as noted in CB's post in the Site Updates & Announcements thread.

    Yeah but those are just the rolling total of the last 7 days what I wanted to see was the leaders from past individual weeks and months. One of which I've already taken care of *:)

    On 3/7/2017 at 1:12 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

    However, we'd not be against considering a raise or removal of this limit.

    That's a good point. Like with sample data, the more there is, the less opportunity for outliers to affect the result. But I suppose it could be seen both ways. By measuring a short timeframe, it does give more chance to a wider range of people. Say if someone made an exceptional post or CJ update, that might equate to enough rep alone to reach the daily summit. Where on a weekly or monthly basis, it more favours those who regularly make consistent contributions.

    Perhaps having separate "winners" would make sense then, to reward both aspects.

    That's true. I guess I should look at it in the same as having more trixie's winners, that way more people can feel appreciated. It's just that I felt like the site was trumping the daily winners a little too strongly; having created an entire new section on the site for it, then having medals by our names and the total count of wins on a members home page. But I can understand the appeal to it. And I think that would add to it, having the weekly and monthly winners recognized in the same way on their user page.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 17 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

    We seem to have lost the Simtropolis regular smiling emoticon:

    That's strange, I was able to see it in the middle there:

    oZd9lUD.png


    Does it also appear missing from the "Simtropolis" category selection?

    The smiley should be the first one at the top left:

    5oPJo0k.png


    Maybe it's worth trying a forced cache refresh (Ctrl+F5).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Just did Ctrl+F5.

    *:) <-- that was typing it. It acted like it was going to change, then didn't. And it's missing from the picker too. My first one shows the *;)

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

    I've tried an internal refresh of the emoticons list. Let me know if that worked or not.

    *:)

    Nope. Btw, I'm in FF. I'll come back and edit this with Chrome...

    Ok, now in Chrome. *:) 

    With it I see a little picture box, but still not the emoticon.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    :ninja:  <-- Black Ninja Llama   :ooh:    I get 2 lists of emoticons, 1. Trixies (All Llamas), 2. Simtropolis (Standard Set).   :) The default set is Trixie Llamas.    

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • OK, so it only shows as a missing image?  --> *:)

    It's quite puzzling how one emoticon, amongst the others, suddenly stops working in multiple browsers. For what it's worth, I'm not able to replicate this in Firefox, Chrome or IE, and can see all posted ":)" smilies in this thread...


    A few other questions to anyone encountering the issue:

    • Has it just been noticeable today?  If not, when did it first occur for you?
    • Can you view the image directly?  If so, maybe try a Ctrl+F5 refresh from there.
    • Does it make any difference embedding using the URL?  Like so: *:)
    • Is the image visible in posts made by other users?  (I assume not)


    Thanks.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Editing in: I just noticed the problem moments before I posted about it originally.

    Here's a s/s of your post while I'm using FF:

    59654f1317644_14_STCBSmilePost.jpg.b292a32a38eae53998e648ddecf435af.jpg

    And here's what I get when I try to go to your Directly link:

    59654f13ef6aa_15_STSmileDirect.jpg.5e96ccf3dc3f58cb5fe68692be312f8a.jpg

    ^ Ctrl+F5 whilst there does nothing useful.

    So, apparently, ST feels I've smiled too much and I've used up my quota. :cry:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • OK thanks. bzt.gif

    Guess what? The bug has caught up... :uhm:

    After trying another force refresh myself (which I also did earlier), I'm also not seeing the smiley anywhere. Also get that same error when visiting directly.

    Since there has been a delay, this may suggest an issue with server caching from Cloudflare (the CDN used by the site). As this is a clustered service around the globe, it may have taken a while for the issue to spread to different regions.

    Very strange indeed... But at least now I'm seeing it first hand, it's a little easier to try and investigate what's going on.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

    ... it may have taken a while for the issue to spread to different regions.

    Ah. My ISP sends the electrons at nearly the speed of light. I guess others are still using carrier pigeons. o.O

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • OK great news, I think I've now successfully restored the missing smiley! *:)

    Basically, I've replaced it using the same configuration as before (filename and shortcut + HD version). So if gone according to plan, this should allow a smooth transition -- All existing instances on the site loading again, with it restored in the menu as the 1st item. Otherwise it might be worth another force browser refresh (Ctrl+F5) to once again load the image into memory.

    Yet another situation which underlines the critical importance of backups. You never know when they might be needed, even for a small 2KB file.


    As to what caused this, the prime suspect is: :)

    It makes you wonder whether this llama or its accomplices are somehow responsible. However, as they were first witnessed around 2 weeks ago, orderly queuing outside the Llama Pen, there is no conclusive evidence to prove this.

    In all seriousness, clearly the image had disappeared from the server, and that "1S160/2" error code was indeed a fancy way of saying the good old "404 Not Found". My theory is there was a conflict with the llamas or initial failure with an upload, and it's somehow taken this long for the issue to propagate. If the original working smiley was cached, it's plausible Cloudflare may have caused the delay in being detected. But in truth, this is mere speculation, and we'll probably never know for sure...


    For all intents and purposes, this can be forever known as "The Mystery of the Missing Emoji"

    *:)

     


    STEX Upload Selector

    In other developments, I'm also pleased to report Dirk has promptly fixed the STEX category dropdown:
     

    HKOX1sa.png

     

    I imagine they'll take a little longer, but next on the agenda is the page loading & Leaderboard performance.

    Thanks everyone!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

    Ah. My ISP sends the electrons at nearly the speed of light. I guess others are still using carrier pigeons. o.O

    My ISP sends them at that speed, too, but when you have satellite internet, this still means a minimum response time of over 1/4 second (45 000 mi @ 186 000 mi/s), not counting server processing time and the fact that space-based electronics are usually years behind what's available currently on the ground. Average ping: between 700 and 1200ms.

    Plus it can never decide if I'm in Arizona, Iowa, or the South Pacific, despite the fact that they only service the US (and you know whereabouts I am IRL anyways).

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
  • Original Poster
  • 22 hours ago, Haljackey said:

    Ran into this while accessing the home page today

    I'd suspect a brief server hiccup or the like. I've noticed something similar on rare occasions when a page doesn't complete loading.

    Let us know should it happen again.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Yup, incomplete loading of the CSS, happened to me once or twice on the phone, mainly over Opera Mini.

    And definitely it looks very cool with the transparent background of the avatar!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    That has also happened to me a couple if times, I just refresh the page and everything's back to normal.

    I've been having a weird issue when trying to change the page on threads, it doesn't load, I have to refresh the tab for it to load properly.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Edvarz said:

    That has also happened to me a couple if times, I just refresh the page and everything's back to normal.

    I've been having a weird issue when trying to change the page on threads, it doesn't load, I have to refresh the tab for it to load properly.

    It work for me well today, but I had same problem before.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an Account  

    Sign up to join our friendly community. It's easy!  

    Register a New Account

    Sign In  

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    • Similar Content

      • By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        Security is important. Lots of sites have a security center. Imagine if I am a security researcher/white-hat hacker and I found an exploit. What should I do? Is there a security center? Is it private? Does the community have a good disclosure process?
        Thanks.
      • By Chief ZDN
        Hello,
        The major redesign of the site header led by @corinagrigorovici (eh, @CorinaMarie) and @CycleDogg (again, I mean @Cyclone Boom) is awesome. A new logo is included in the top of the logomark (text as a logo). This change also brought a new thing, @A Nonny Moose memorial button with its tooltip. But, anything in the world isn't perfect. Simtropolis' header has some flaws. The logo location is above the logo, which not fine. This isn't a problem if the logo isn't too tall like the Walt Disney logo, but our logo is too tall. So, we need to resize our logo so the logo isn't too tall. Or, switch