Cyclone Boom

Simtropolis 9.0.x - Bugs & Issues Report Thread

478 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • 1 hour ago, madhatter106 said:

Is there a way of shutting this off on the user end for everything of this sort, somewhere in the profile settings?  I'm pretty sure that if I want emails when a thread gets a reply, I would proactively enable it, rather than having to actively disable it on everything I don't want notifications on...

1 hour ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. You can turn it off. Click the linky in my sig, check out the 2nd post near the bottom and you'll see the settings and how to get to them. ;)

Edit: This one: Introduction and Guide to Simtropolis

Yes, as @CorinaMarie hinted, your Notification Settings page allows these preferences to be configured. To prevent emails being sent, uncheck the relevant boxes in the right hand column, and then hit Save at the bottom.

To prevent auto-following, you can disable the options:

Automatically follow new content I post
    This applies to any new threads, files, etc, which you may post.

Automatically follow content I reply to
    This applies to items where you reply, without having initially posted the main content (like this thread).

Note: With these enabled, it's possible to override this by unchecking the  Notify me of replies  option below the post editor.

And of course, to enable notifications on demand, click the "Follow" option visible in the top right corner of any content. :)

New bug. Chat is slightly borked. When you type a line and hit enter it doesn't scroll up far enough to read. We are all seeing the same problem. :( It was fine this morning and now it's not. :O

Edit: It's ok in Chrome, but not Firefox.

• Original Poster
  • That could be a side effect of the minor site update yesterday. Amongst the fixes, a loose nut usually falls off somewhere.

I did a quick test and got the following:

5RLGDig.png

Does this look normal?  (No one replied)

On 2/1/2017 at 6:40 PM, Cyclone Boom said:

Does this look normal?  (No one replied)

That part does. You need to get enough chat so that you have a scroll bar in there. I'll get a screenshot and post it. (I was also in the process of moving to my new comp so I didn't post any screenies.)

10_Chat.jpg.3269db6ed36dd72d2fe9c6be734119b1.jpg
    ^ There's a line you can't see that says Abrams left the room.

Just now, matias93 said:

Offtopic: Cori, ¿that's windows 7? I thought you would stay at xp...

Yep. It is. That's the part of moving to my new comp. (HP 6000 Pro with Win 7 Pro 64 bit.) It's nothing exciting by today's standards but it's way better for the internet than my old one. I can even watch youtube vids now without them stuttering and taking 10 minutes to play a 30 second clip. :) 

• Original Poster
  • OK, thanks.

I've confirmed the chat scrollbar bug, and narrowed this down to an unwanted class in the CSS markup.

As a temporary workaround, this can be manually disabled each time you open the chat window.

At least on Firefox and Opera:

1.  Right click the grey bar directly above the message box:

Char%20Grey%20Bar_zpsyjb0vqes.jpg

2. Then open Inspect Element.

3.  On the "Rules" window on the right, there should be a class named  .cChatCompose

4.  Uncheck the   position: absolute;   attribute like so:

LVIViwN.png

5.  This should drop down the message box, and show the scrollbar in a normal position.

We'll report this to be fixed as a priority issue, hopefully within the next few days.

But if anyone prefers not using another browser, this should help until it can be implemented in an official patch. :)

Cori Edit: Added grey bar picture since some peeps in chat weren't sure which one.

12 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

This should drop down the message box, and show the scrollbar in a normal position.

It does. :)

12 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

We'll report this to be fixed as a priority issue, hopefully in the next few days.

@Abrams124 says the scroll bar is borked in Opera too and the workaround works for it as well.

• Original Poster
  • Glad that works for the time being.

I've added a brief note in the Chat Rules page, to spread further awareness (that's the only place I can edit).

Is it true you must accept these each time when opening chat? I got it on both occasions when I entered, which seems a little tedious if so...

• Original Poster
  • Unbelievable... You try to help, then matters only get worse. I removed the message completely, but the error still persists.

If that was the cause, it must be pretty fragile to break so easily. I'll phone the helpline first thing in the morning.

EDIT:

Since chat operates on an external shared server, looks like this may be an issue globally, and not related to editing the rules after all:
    https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/435568-the-chat-room-key-has-expired/

Edited by Cyclone Boom  

11 hours ago, Cyclone Boom said:

Is it true you must accept these each time when opening chat?

Yep. Every single time.

11 hours ago, Tonraq said:

Hmmm, chat is completely borked ...

I get the same error now trying to join. I guess that's one way to get rid of the scroll bar problem... o.O

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, Abrams124 said:

EDIT:It works now,time to chat!

Yes, this should now be resolved.

Turns out this was an issue affecting everyone using the chat service (not just limited to ST). They've done some background work, and managed to sort out whatever was going on. So I guess it was pure coincidence this started around the time I edited the rules page. Funny how things like that happen...

Next stop, the scrollbar bug. ;)

I have noticed a forum thread loading problem yesterday.  I cannot say for certain if this issue started specifically yesterday, or if it may have been ongoing for some time longer.

Within threads with multiple pages, attempting to navigate to other pages by left-clicking the in-thread page navigation buttons results in perpetually stalled loading of the new page.  The buttons for "First page," "Last page", "prev," "next," and direct page number all fail.  Attempting to use the browser navigation tools to return from the broken loading page back to the original page becomes tricky, as the broken page tries to reload itself and then fails again, requiring several rapid clicks to properly back out of it.  Being logged into a Simtropolis user account or just visiting as a guest does not matter.  Right-clicking the in-thread page navigation buttons to open the desired page into either a new tab or a new window still works as normal.  Forum navigation buttons are not affected.

This now happens for me on Internet Explorer (11.0.9600.18524), Google Chrome (56.0.2924.87), and mobile Android (4.0.4) on several separate devices.

Using the Quote of the Day thread, page 41, as an example, here is what happens when attempting to left-click to page 40 using the navigation buttons with Internet Explorer:

etPlFQi.jpg

This is doing the same with Google Chrome:

0SdYiFZ.jpg

And on Android:

TOus1fD.png

Android additionally often alerts "Connection problem - A network error occurred" for pages of Simtropolis.  Naturally, this is a generic message which could be anything and everything from something suspicious trying to load, an obsolete version of Android encountering new and unfamiliar code, or merely technology gremlins.

Its done the same thing to me a couple of times over the last couple of days ... I just thought it was my computer playing up - Linux Mint and Firefox

I used the Quote of the Day thread to test. With Firefox I had no trouble going from page to page.  This tells me either FF is not affected or the technology gremlins are sleeping right now.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the reports.

One thing I've noticed the past week or so is a general increase in the number of guests online. At one point, the count was at well over 1,000. The most likely culprit are spiders scanning for an update to their search index. But whether these are legitimate bots (i.e. Google) or something else remains to be seen...

Since this has fluctuated during the day, there's a possibility this is related to a few performance issues here and there.

If it continues, I'll let Dirk know for further investigation.

On 02/03/2017 at 8:19 AM, Odainsaker said:

I have noticed a forum thread loading problem yesterday.  I cannot say for certain if this issue started specifically yesterday, or if it may have been ongoing for some time longer.

I have this same problem last week on Opera, Mozilla, IE etc.

There seems to be a number of bugs in the Leaderboard section, various total's are in conflict;

The leaderboard here http://community.simtropolis.com/leaderboard/?time=oldest

Spoiler

a0Kdll5.jpg

Is dramatically different the the total's on the popular contributors box on the front page of the forum section http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/

Spoiler

9ATJICA.jpg

There also seems to be something wrong with how the daily total's are calculated. Last night at midnight for March 3rd these were the days total's,

Spoiler

G1xmNlM.jpg

But the past leader total's for March 3 is showing something different. http://community.simtropolis.com/pastleaders/?page=1&sortdirection=desc I've noticed this has happened several time in the past week as well.

Also it seems strange that one member would be chosen over another in the case of a draw for most highest rep in a day eg. Oct 3 2016.

• Original Poster
  • 2 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

The leaderboard here http://community.simtropolis.com/leaderboard/?time=oldest

Is dramatically different the the total's on the popular contributors box on the front page of the forum section http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/

Yes, there does appear to be some inconsistency. If I'd hazard a guess, since they were around before, the sidebars must use a different method/criteria to calculate the totals. I do know the Leaderboards are only based on reputation tied to posted content (which hasn't been deleted and is still on record). Any rep gained from content no longer available wouldn't be counted in the Leaderboards, since the source data wouldn't exist. The same could also be said for rep prizes from the ST Challenges, or any manual addition to user rep counts.

However, it's interesting how @Schulmanator has the same 5,643 total shown on both lists, while the other 3 users don't correspond. o.O

Looking at the larger list on Activity, it seems like "All Time" simply extracts rep totals from profiles, as these all match accordingly. As for the "Week / Month / Year" sidebar totals, I suspect these use a different time window for the calculations.

I'll dig around and see if there's any options to modify this behaviour. Otherwise to find out exactly what's going on, assistance may be needed from tech support.

2 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

There also seems to be something wrong with how the daily total's are calculated.

To account for a wider range of users, the daily totals currently use the PST (UTC-8) time zone. So if you were in a later time zone, this means the daily cut-off point would be after your midnight (e.g. 3am EST).

This may explain why you were leading with 15 rep as pictured, but then @Hamish must've had a strong finish to reach 19 rep in the time remaining.

(Sorry, rather ironically, I think your marvellous Trixies Interview is responsible for that!)  :whatevs:

2 hours ago, Takingyouthere said:

Also it seems strange that one member would be chosen over another in the case of a draw for most highest rep in a day eg. Oct 3 2016.

I'm not sure on the method of the tiebreaker, but I suspect it's based on the earlier or later received rep (i.e. on countback).

In such instances, I would support a draw being declared, as time is merely a quantitative variable, unlike the rep being given. And contrary to sports, there doesn't always need to be outright podium winners!

Leaderboard Performance

By the way... *:read:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond? For me, loading these intermittently takes upwards of 45 seconds. Trying a reload usually brings the page up quicker, but then the "Popular Content" list isn't shown below.

This could potentially be related to the thread page loading issue reported above.

6 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

With the Leaderboards, has anyone else noticed the main list and time filters being slower to respond?

Yep. I've noticed they take some time and have for a while. I assumed it's a one-handed, hungover bean counter in a bad mood doing the calculations.

• Original Poster
  • 1 minute ago, CorinaMarie said:

Yep. I've noticed they take some time and have for a while. I assumed it's a one-handed, hungover bean counter in a bad mood doing the calculations.

OK, thanks for confirming. At least this proves it's more likely to be server related, rather than a connection issue.

For me, this has been persisting for a few weeks now as I recall.

2 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

For me, this has been persisting for a few weeks now as I recall.

Yeah. Seems about right for the time frame. And, btw, it's slow here from home as well as from work as a guest.

• Original Poster
  • Right, something weird has obviously happened around then. Before this point, the processing understandably took a few seconds, but nothing like what it does right now. I tried rebuilding the search index and the Leaderboard data the other day, but this didn't seem to help. The mystery deepens... :uhm:

It seems a software update is apparently just around the corner hailing "performance improvements". So maybe this will help address whatever is going on. There is a lot of data to process after all, so a small gremlin could easily have widespread impact.

Otherwise it's another one for Dirk & tech support.

A new moderator setting to restrict users from ignoring moderators.

I would've sworn you mentioned we already have that. :uhm:

I'm concerned about that word Beta in there. Hopefully they will fix more than they break.

• Original Poster
  • 20 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I would've sworn you mentioned we already have that. :uhm:

Yeah, not too sure how this is different from the current setting. We do have this enabled, mainly for contact purposes with PMs. And of course, who would want to ignore staff anyway! *:P

20 minutes ago, CorinaMarie said:

I'm concerned about that word Beta in there. Hopefully they will fix more than they break.

Prior to the actual release, I think they usually do a few betas to expose and iron out as many new bugs. These are offered to all clients of the software, who may choose to install it in a test environment. But indeed, new features rarely don't introduce new bugs in the process...

It may actually be worth holding this update off until after the Trixies. As the last thing needed is the nominations forum to implode or something. I'll check with Dirk on this, and see what the options are.

57 minutes ago, Cyclone Boom said:

This may explain why you were leading with 15 rep as pictured, but then @Hamish must've had a strong finish to reach 19 rep in the time remaining.

(Sorry, rather ironically, I think your marvellous Trixies Interview is responsible for that!)  :whatevs:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to steal your thunder by hijacking your thunder and using it against your own thunder :???: