4. mrsmartman

mrsmartman

5. Cool_Z

Cool_Z

6. destruz

destruz

• Similar Content

• By Scarton
      Is it permissible to create the same City Journal in both the City Journal forum section and the other site City Journal section (I'll refer to it as the "community.simtropolis.com/journals" CJ section)? Also, is there an easily viewable area which contains new updates and comments posted in the "community.simtropolis.com/journals" section? I haven't found one. This is my primary concern with posting a CJ in the "community.simtropolis.com/journals" section because it makes me doubt that both areas attract the same audience. However, I am interested in trying out the CJ format of the "community.simtropolis.com/journals" section.
    • By Roadman20
      Entry 1: Beginnings of Seattle, Washington... and early setbacks/rebuilding.
      Hello everyone!
      As most of you know by now, I've been showing off bits and pieces of my work in progress of building Seattle, Washington for Cities:Skylines.  I feel it is time for me to consolidate my progress work in a CJ place so I can share and you see my continual work in as close of an interesting city.  Some background on myself, I've loved SC4 finally came back to the city simulator world when Cities:Skylines came out.  My decision to build Seattle is due to living in the Pacific Northwest, although not in the city itself, for a number of years and the challenge it presents to a city planner. 
      So without further ado, presenting Seattle!
      I took Steam workshop map of Seattle and then I roughly recreated the regional highway network.  This work goes back sometime before After Dark.

It was here that began my work on perfecting multi-level interchanges with the signature work on the Interstate 5 and Interstate 90 interchange.  This is first version built in map editor, obviously not perfect.  You'll see throughout this journal the gradual improvement on this design, which influences how I build interchanges now.

As you can see, learning the finer details of onramp/offramp placement is pretty key to making good looking interchanges.  Too bad there was not any retaining walls at the time...

Oh hey, look sunken wall assets are made.  This was my first real test of using them to prop up a hill slope while using duckclog's pillars. Unfortunately, I only had a single save file at this time of Seattle and the save file was corrupted.

Well, it was a learned lesson to have two save files of that ever went down again... but the corrupted file incident provided an opportunity to rebuild in a more correct way.  I started Seattle again in the southern industrial heart near the I-5/I-90 interchange and made some immediate build changes. 
      First, Holgate Street Bridge and rebuilding Interstate 5 as elevated viaduct highway as it should be through this area.  

Second, rebuild western termius of Interstate 90 near Safeco and Century Link Fields.

Rebuilding the Interstate 5/Interstate 90 interchange in it's third and final configuration.  Sorry about the quality of this particular shot... As noted that new placement means a new alignment of the rest of Interstate 90 northward eventually.  Note that Interstate 5 is fully elevated now throughout this shot compared to earlier shots.

Finally, overview of Pioneer Square, Sodo, and Industrial Districts.  Plus, early work on Seattle CBD layout.

Next time, the challenge of building Interstate 5 through the Convention Center.

• By TheBigCon4800
      So, as i was taking uploading a shot of my rail yards, it occurred to me that i was trying to dump too much lore into a thread. I decided to start my first City Journal, because i'm terrible at LPs and want to flesh out my city. So, without further ado...

SAINT JAMES!

Saint James, a crown jewel of Infrastructure and Status, lies somewhere in New England. The constant target of railroad investment and the decision to form a new Transit Authority and Municipal Freight Railroad when Penn Central went to hell has kept a lot of railways and other transit in the city. The grand station, designed based on Europe by the New Haven, provides an elegant way to travel into the city, with a comprehensive Metro and Suburban train system weaving together the majority of suburbia, and a couple Funicular lines going to sleepy resorts.

I hope you enjoy my journey of designing it.

• By im_method
      Welcome to Cirrus Bay. This city (currently 50k pop) was built as part of the recent Twitch Greenest Cities Challenge. 
      All photos here: https://www.method.games/blog/cities-skylines-twitch-greenest-city-challenge

• By Splime

Hi all, I wanted to share a new project I've been working on, Piedra Verde. The idea is to try and build up a city organically, over time, with some backstory - hopefully this will result in a neat creation with some realism as well. I've started this in the early 90s - early enough that I have plenty of time to grow the area before reaching the present day, but late enough where I can get away with using most of the vehicles and buildings from the game. (Of course, some vehicles will look a bit too modern, and some buildings a bit older, just go ahead and look the other way  )

Piedra Verde (a.k.a. Green Stone) is a set of islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Although it was sighted a few times before the 20th century, there was never any settlement. All anybody knew was rumors about a faint green glow coming from an island in the Pacific. (It turns out that glow is due to rare radioactive ores, but more on that later.) The islands somehow remained unknown until around World War II, and then during the Cold War it was agreed to keep the islands as a mostly secret neutral uninhabited area. Once the Cold War ended, the existence of these islands became more widespread. In the new spirit of international cooperation, an organization was formed to settle this area and investigate the glowing rocks... and profit off of the ores if possible.

In 1991, the territory of Piedra Verde was born. In the rush to settle it and construct the original facilities, not that many photos exist of its first year. Here you can see the main settlement - a small port, a couple of factories, and some basic housing. They did at least have a nice football/soccer field though.

Here's a closer look at the port area, including the main fuel depot for the settlement.

Of course, the main reason for this new territory was the mysterious glowing rock. So far the mining operations haven't actually found much of the glowing stone - the reports of glowing were probably quite exaggerated. There was, however, plenty of coal and iron to dig up, so there was plenty of profit to be made in this new land.

With all the new hype, the island's infrastructure is being significantly expanded - construction is probably the second biggest industry on the island.

So that's a little preview of Piedra Verde, in the future the territory will get some actual government organization, and they'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.