290 posts in this topic Last Reply

Greetings all! I've just returned from an indefinite hiatus from ST after almost a decade of inactivity, and all of a sudden felt the urge to lot. A lot! I've mostly been posting my lot updates in the "Show Us What You're Working On" thread but I figured I should probably lighten the spam over there and create my own thread :P. Since I've been posting so much stuff recently it's probably a good idea that I start consolidating all of them into one topic.

PROJECTS

IURDvKf.jpg

Welcome to Suburban Office Mania! The core concept of these re-lots focuses on recreating the large sprawling business parks and office complexes that are scattered around suburban North America. Most of these complexes boasts several similar-looking buildings and can occupy several city blocks worth of space, mostly from parking alone. Major influences include several tech centers located around the US, including locations part of Silicon Valley, Irvine, and Denver Tech Center.

ITS Office Parks
Here I'll be mostly tackling a lot of Ill Tonkso's old mid-rise office buildings, and converting them for suburban usage either in the form of multi-building complexes or larger lots for the building. Occasionally you might find something less suburban ;).

COMPLETED
Ill Tonkso Plaza
Tonkso Corporate Park, Trowbridge Offices
Trafalgar Complexes
Lakeside Place
280 Executive Square
East Point Offices
CAMden Heights Offices
Holbourne Offices
Folegate Leasings

Zurich House

BACKLOG
D R Pawley and Associates
Pewsley House
Sutton Financial Lettings
110 Cannon Street
Glennishire House & 6-8 Bishopgate

Office Parks
This is the more general series that spans several different authors.

Mattb325's Zurich Insurance (Temporary!)

WIP
Simgoober's Offices (WaMu, Office Parks, Professional Center)

BACKLOG
Madhatter106's Offices

Splash image coming soon....

RetailMania (ReM) is aimed at creating more realistic shopping centers by utilizing the expanded parking options from my SuperParking project.

COMPLETED
gascooker's Tesco Supermarket

BACKLOG
TBD

N4Iypnz.jpg

SuperParking (SP) is aimed at creating the most realistic looking parking lots in SC4. Based off the original SHK Parking Pack.

Texture Set
SuperSHK MEGA Parking Textures v 1.01
SuperSHK Plus MEGA Parking Textures (??)

Modular Parking Set
Massive modular parking kit. For advanced builders!

COMPLETED
Base Set
EP1: Diagonal Set
EP2: Extension Set
Addon Pack 1
DAMN Menus

WORK IN PROGRESS

SG Industrials
SG Offices

Other Stuff:

Maxis Revitalization

under construction

Edited by kingofsimcity  

updating first post

• Original Poster
  • I've been too busy playing Skylines :P! Now that I'm on spring break and without my desktop, figured I go ahead and work on some more buildings.

Here's 1000 Lakeside, on a massive 14x14 lot. Will probably keep this plop only, and most likely will TE the lot as well. I'll probably have a couple of texture variants.

HZhPcDJ.jpg

Since I don't have access to my desktop atm, my plugins folder on my laptop only contains the few lotting resources that I'm using.

• Original Poster
  • Trafalgar Complexes is now out on the STEX! Still fixing a little graphical bug though. Kinda bizzare. I've removed the base textures around the problem area.

ervyu0U.jpg

Still, that mystical high wealth grass still shows up on that exact patch.

Otx4YGc.jpg

Apart from that, I've been doing a bit more tweaking to Lakeside Place. In light of Cities: Skylines, I thought I would pay homage to the three standard biomes released in the game - starting off with tropical!

LjxCZN3.jpg

As always, feedback is appreciated!

This is usually what happens when you place a new base texture over an existing base texture.  Even though you delete the base texture from the tile, the old one is still present as a 'ghost'.  You should be able to get rid of the pesky sucker using the reader.  I can't recall the exact properties... i'm sure the info is around here somewhere (just search for 'removing base textures' or something similar) 

lots are looking good!

• Original Poster
  • This is usually what happens when you place a new base texture over an existing base texture.  Even though you delete the base texture from the tile, the old one is still present as a 'ghost'.  You should be able to get rid of the pesky sucker using the reader.  I can't recall the exact properties... i'm sure the info is around here somewhere (just search for 'removing base textures' or something similar) 

lots are looking good!

Ah thanks a lot! I managed to find and remove the 'ghost' texture under the LotProperties and now everything is working perfectly! :D

Might as well throw in some more updates: First one of Lakeside Place is completed. Time for temperate and boreal.

6C2NQ02.jpg

Also found this old WIP that I kinda forgot about:

tf0XHCL.jpg

BRBtmoh.jpg

Your Lots are always fantastic and well executed.The used building BATs may be old or released a while ago but you always can get them into a fresh new light.

Your newest release is outstanding,the lot really fits the used building like a tailor-made suit.

I guess i have to look where i could place this giant thing in my region.Definately something for the outer boroughs...

I wonder if you could do me a favor or at least think about it and make some commercial lots that fit into a 4 tiles wide streetgrid.

My Streetgrid was made of several vertical avenues and horizontal streets,each with 4 tiles between.Maybe some Lots sitting on 8x4 up to 11x4 lots (the longer side facing the streets).Maybe a set of modules,connected via skybridges so you can walk from one office building to another... :D

Just some crazy ideas...keep up the good work my friend.

• Original Poster
  • Oooo. FAR compatibility! I absolutely love your style and all of the little details you include in your lots. Keep up the good work! 

eusa_clap.gif

(Now  I need to stop posting/perusing forums and finish some of my own lots. lol)

Thanks a bunch! FAR is one of those things that I really enjoy throwing into my lots since it feels like I'm gridbusting outside of playing the game. Now get back there and finish those lots! *prods with pitchfork* :P

Brilliant!, can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the series ESP Eastland Grand, keep up the good work.

Thank you! I do feel Eastland Grand will be a tough one, especially with their age and how varied the models are. It's definitely something I look forward to doing as well. :)

Your Lots are always fantastic and well executed.The used building BATs may be old or released a while ago but you always can get them into a fresh new light.

Your newest release is outstanding,the lot really fits the used building like a tailor-made suit.

I guess i have to look where i could place this giant thing in my region.Definately something for the outer boroughs...

I wonder if you could do me a favor or at least think about it and make some commercial lots that fit into a 4 tiles wide streetgrid.

My Streetgrid was made of several vertical avenues and horizontal streets,each with 4 tiles between.Maybe some Lots sitting on 8x4 up to 11x4 lots (the longer side facing the streets).Maybe a set of modules,connected via skybridges so you can walk from one office building to another... :D

Just some crazy ideas...keep up the good work my friend.

Thanks! I'm kinda curious, what kind of office style are you looking for to fit your grid? Do you want a suburban feel, with buildings spaced out and large open spaces or some tighter clumps with W2W offices? I actually do happen to have a few 7-8x4 W2W blocks I made with ITS' street office buildings, if you're interested. But I'll see what I can do. I eventually want to put out a pack of sorts where I have more assorted lot layouts.

Big progress update time! Been doing some more work on 280 Executive Square, including adding another massive lot to the 3 I showed earlier.

First off, the lot configurations from left to right (Phase 1 -> 4): 11x12, 3x11, 3x10, 10x9

ePWpSnw.jpg

Added a bit more detail to phase 4 (formerly 3), including speed bumps and stop signs.

e1BIgJP.jpg

And here's the updated complex with the brand new Phase 1 on the left side. There's still quite a bit of space left undetailed which I'm still currently working on.

7ztPWVP.jpg

Detail shots. I don't know why the people that work here would need a playboy semi, but I guess some cravings need to be satisfied. :P

274QUck.jpg

My personal favorite side of the complex, which features a park, large open paved areas as well as a staggered, tree-lined plaza with fountains.

PGQ1H9r.jpg

Front shot during fall season. There's a bit of open paved area that I don't quite know what to do with yet, but we'll see...

P0baVVs.jpg

The complex in pieces.

hIkaQhW.jpg

I look forward to reading your feedback!

Quote:"Thanks! I'm kinda curious, what kind of office style are you looking for to fit your grid? Do you want a suburban feel, with buildings spaced out and large open spaces or some tighter clumps with W2W offices?"

Well, definately more the urban clumped W2W type, sort of aiming for a Manhattan-ish type of lot.As for some building ideas, maybe some of the residential highrise/midris 20 floore towers from Aaron Graham used as office space but also modern glass and steel buildings....we all know that nowadays architects prefer glass, steel and stuff like that.

I'm just asking because i often have trouble getting work for everyone.An area wih several blocks just filled with residential can't have enough jobs if only tiny shops or a bunch of midrises are lining up the mainstreets...

About your newest pictures:

Wow, that is an awesome set of lots.I wish i would only have half your skills and patience in lot editor.

The biggest thing i've ever done was a wastewater treatment plant, and that thing was killing me.Besides that i'm just talented enough to make "parks" with buildings slapped on as fillers and aircleaners... (cheaty i know)

Love the idea of having a FAR compatibel commercial lot.This is something that hasn't been done much but is well needed.

About that large empty paved field your talking about, maybe some small lamps (those modern knee high gardenlamps...) or some potted trees might help breaking it up a bit.Otherwise the space could be liven up with pedestrians cluttered around that area.

Oh and the Playboy truck:You know, live in an office cubicle can be lonely so..... :D

Mmmm what about One and Two California Plaza by Kodebo?, after all in real life they kind of sit together on a "plaza" lot.

Also some of the Residential towers by ILL Tonsko?.

As for the Eastland Grand series, yes they MAY be old but damn they still look good lol.

• Original Poster
  • @Hotwheeler: Ah I see. Now that I know, maybe I can whip up some ideas! :D

@CDM Madero: Thanks! I agree, the LE is quite addicting once I'm free from just Maxis only stuff.

@Xander Dax: Ohh yes! I've always thought about lotting together some twin-building-esque with skyscrapers. :) Also I definitely have some of ITS' residentials on my radar.

It's here! 280 Executive Square is now complete and on the STEX. :D

0HsZqRd.jpg

Since STEX search now works for files older than 2005, I found these old gems that I lotted wayyyy back when. Thinking about doing a redux!

020edgy.jpg

• Original Poster
  • cmdp123789: Thanks you! Yeah, I drew most of my inspiration from suburban office complexes across the US. If I had even a lick of BATing skill I'd probably be whipping up these things all day. :)

Nothing really in the works at the moment besides layout crafting and updating some old files. It was bugging me that some of my earlier releases this year didn't come with a proper menu icon and appropriate plop costs. ARRGH! Though I find it kind of cool that you can definitely make good looking

menu icons with just MS Paint. :P

Also here are just some random plaza layouts I whipped up in 15 minutes. They're thematically the same as the one found on my 280 Executive lot (the 2x4 is practically a clone). If anyone is interested I'll probably just create a few more of these and throw them all together into a plaza pack of sorts.

AWpyuUf.jpg

Development is going to slow considerably in these coming months. Getting a bit of that burnout cycle and need a break to refresh those creative juices. Until next time!

• Original Poster
  • It's been a while.

XKa6B91.jpg

Taking a page out of nos.17's book with the wider (and realistic!) parking lots. Looks a bit funky for me after working with the narrower spaces for such a long time, but I'll get used to it :). ( seriously, how do you even back up in those spots? :P). Hopefully my OCD doesn't kick into full gear and I'll end up relotting everything again argh.

• Original Poster
  • rsc204: Thanks! The break I had from SC4 a month back definitely rejuvenated my creative juices.

East Point is definitely my favorite building to work with so far. Since I am functionally insane I went on a lotting spree today, and whipped up not 1 but 8 new ones within the span of around 5 hours...

fJ7xowV.jpg

In a departure from MEGA sized complexes I've built East Point around smaller lots that'll fit rather snugly in tighter city blocks. From left to right, pretty much a re-lot of the original (3x3) to a larger, more spacious 6x6 lot.

gtRAXFF.jpg

Of course, it ain't office parks unless you have more than one on a lot. For the first time, everything is seasonal.

Csjhrqf.jpg

2 buildings? I raise you my 3! Suprisingly the Maxis grass/dirty overlay fit perfectly with the middle SHK parking lot texture.

UNVSVgM.jpg

The rear. I usually like to just throw in random trees in the grassy areas but this turned out quite nicely, I think. I also got a MEGA lot as always in the works, but that'll be for another day. :P

As always, feedback appreciated :).

Edited by kingofsimcity  

fixed squashed images

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Xander! I'm looking forward to tackle Eastland Grand especially!

This will be the last of the "standard" batch of lots for East Point, a simple 10x10. Sometimes I feel like just filling every nook and cranny with trees, since the lot definitely feels a tad empty in parts.

kfR7VPS.jpg

From the backside. So what do you guys think? Should I line the long horizontal patches of grass with some more trees? Or leave as it is? :???:

DP0aLKG.jpg

On another completely similar yet different note, here's a part of a mega complex done...

opLZyB3.jpg

I ACTUALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING. :bunny:

fu5nvxO.jpg

So yeah, apparently East Point is suprisingly not too glitchy when you merge two of 'em together.

• Original Poster
  • East Point Offices is now up and running on the STEX!

I've been dilligently working on a few more.

LrG3b05.jpg

You may have spotted this earlier... here it is from another angle. I'm loving Tonk's parking garage and may have it as a dependency in the future, but I'm not sure I want to pile on too many :P.

yNwqqss.jpg

I've been taking a liking to the California-esque fan plam look towards the lots recently. Must be that hot Socal weather in action.

Here's a simple re-lot of the Camden Heights Tower, with a parking garage.

jtSOlEk.jpg

And here's my shot at another ancient BAT, 2 Eastland Grand Station. I think it turned out OK but the age is definitely showing in this one, even moreso that it doesn't contain nightlights sadly :(. Hopefully I can link up every building in the complex and it'll turn out a bit better.

UIX1Gp1.jpg

All of a sudden I want to make growable CS$ - CS$$ parking lots.

Edited by kingofsimcity  

And here's my shot at another ancient BAT, 2 Eastland Grand Station. I think it turned out OK but the age is definitely showing in this one, even moreso that it doesn't contain nightlights sadly :(. Hopefully I can link up every building in the complex and it'll turn out a bit better.

<...>

All of a sudden I want to make growable CS$ - CS$$ parking lots.

For the station, I highly suggest you make it transit enabled and a plop only, otherwise we may end up with random tracks growing in our downtowns, which is something (I think) many would like to avoid.

Now growable parking lots seem like an awesome idea. I'd love to see the implementation!

• Original Poster
  • Yeah, but who doesn't love random rail stubs as a feature of their commercial sectors? 8) All jokes aside 2 EG is most definitely a ploppable railway station. :)

Here's some of those growable parking lots I've been talking about. So far I've completed a few CS$$$ ones. All of them are stage 1 and give 3 jobs.

A 3x4 and a 5x3 one. I really like the SG parking lights on the 3x4 but sadly they don't have any light cones by default.

gTM4i5Z.jpg

A larger 6x6 one. I'm really loving these palms lately. Also a test lot suprise to the right...

3T7TZNE.jpg

Here's some of those growable parking lots I've been talking about. So far I've completed a few CS$$$ ones. All of them are stage 1 and give 3 jobs.

thumbsup.gif

Love the progress, especially on the larger 6x6. I really like your texture varieties too. One thing you may want to consider though, are some less "affluent" parking lots: eg more concrete and less flora decor for $ wealth regions. 

One request, please ensure you update the transit switch entry cost and capacity of the Eastland grand 2 station, the original values are way off and could cause big problems in large cities.

Transit Switch Entry Cost should be fine with 0.0069 and Transit Switch Traffic Capacity wants to be at least 70,000 these days.

If you'd like a hand with that, just ask... incidentally, how about mixing things up with some G-HSR/GLR/Rail mixed-use versions? I'd be very happy to do the modding here if you keep on lotting.

• Original Poster
  • Just popping in for a quick update. Only managed one complete lot this month with a whole bunch of half-finished efforts left. I spent a bunch of time planning and crafting the layout for the Eastland Grand complex but it never turned out right, so it's back to the drawing board there. Hopefully I can get something out by September but no guarantees.

At least I'm adding more tree variety as time goes on. :P

V9wOSF2.jpg

This one is smaller and less spectacular at the first glance, but it's a great lot design once you look closer. First of all, that building and the parking garage really complement each other perfectly. Then there's the clever use of a diagonally oriented tile texture to go alongside the diagonal building. The low hedge towards the end of the lot is another nice touch, as is the change from normal grass to that mowed grass with the striped look (I did the same with some of the multi-building lots based on JBSimio's slope-friendly apartments).

What I'm not that sure about is (A) the smoothly curved and sweeping path, and (B) the placement of that planter right in front of the steps. I think straight (and mostly diagonal) lines suit this building best because it's all straight lines and simple shapes, and the planter leaves the entrance very little room to "breathe". However, that is nitpicking on a very high level, and it's not to say that I wouldn't gladly take the building as is. :)

Besides, I should probably not be the one talking about such minor observations because the last IRM stuff I lotted (all unreleased and unseen so far) has been pretty run-of-the-mill and generic. :P

What I like about the overall appearance of the lot is the different zones it has: The parking lot. The open grass area. The slight "protection" from the road (left side) with the entrance facing the open part. And then that shady, forested spot framed by the building and the parking garage. There's really a lot going on, it's very dynamic and lively. Kinda reminds me of IDS Office Plaza, where I went for something similar, although the variation isn't as strong as on your lot.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by T Wrecks  

• Original Poster
  • Hey all, it's been a good while again. (has it already been a month?) Rest assured that not all of my time is spent creating "dead" cities. :P

T Wrecks: Bit of a late response, but thanks a lot! Originally I was going to have some landscaping around the winding path. I had a rather clear picture in my head but applying it is definitely much more difficult, so I kinda scrapped it and left it there.

Now for some goodies! Here's the capstone lot to the Camden Heights series, a massive 10x10 twin tower suburban office complex. It's nearly finished, but I'm currently not sure on what to do for the grassy areas in the front. The plaza also seems a tad lifeless at the moment, especially since I love covering them in trees!

UGDFbbP.jpg

The backside. Usual fare: big parking lot, and lots of trees. Wondering if I should play with the asphalt texturing scheme.

jtQAMb3.jpg

Feel free to leave your thoughts!

Edited by kingofsimcity