620 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 3/17/2017 at 3:34 AM, Linoa06 said:

I posted this interchange before, but I've reworked it... well, I guess it's still being reworked ;)

final (3).jpg

final (1).jpg

where did you get that LED speed indicator gantry at? I cant find it on the Workshop

16 hours ago, Judazzz said:

It still needs some polish (for some reason the underground keeps buckling at nodes - best visible in the 2nd screenshot) and proper exit/entrance lanes, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

wBrfa1P.jpg

1PfZ0qO.jpg

wHJBuTE.jpg

That's strange!I love it!

@Abrams124 - I have to confess that the idea was 'borrowed' from an interchange in the Workshop, so the layout isn't really my idea. However, since the underground is anything but flat, I ultimately had to redo pretty much every stretch of road to get it all nice and smooth, and while on it, I made a few changes to the layout as well. It's not suitable for high-traffic situations btw, but with low to medium traffic density it flows pretty well (and it looks great).

1 hour ago, Abrams124 said:

In the meanwhile,this is a very tiny intersection,yet still took a lot of effort...

I really need to get into stuff like that - taking a close look at intersections other than the big highway interchanges.  I like the new NExt roads but sometimes the transitions can be so harsh e.g. from normal two lane to two lane with median.  Manually making median transitions like what you did here will solve the problem.

I hadn't been going for anything other than function, but this intersection of a heavy local road with a curved section of highway came out surprisingly symmetric.  I think at this point I was using the mod that allowed me to force the land elevation to meet the roadway, but this layout could have been achieved even in a pre-Mass Transit vanilla game.

I'm not sure if there is a name for this type of elevated roundabout / highway intersection, or whether there are any instances of this in real life.  If there are, I suspect that it would involve the roundabout being at grade with the highway running up above (?).  The other thing I should mention is that I usually try to limit the degree of slopes to no more than 1 length up/down for every two lengths of horizontal distance, but I must have been in a hurry to finish this roundabout, so the highway connectors are so incredibly unrealistic as to be farcical.  :no:

Roundabout.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnAkaMrP said:

I hadn't been going for anything other than function, but this intersection of a heavy local road with a curved section of highway came out surprisingly symmetric.  I think at this point I was using the mod that allowed me to force the land elevation to meet the roadway, but this layout could have been achieved even in a pre-Mass Transit vanilla game.

I'm not sure if there is a name for this type of elevated roundabout / highway intersection, or whether there are any instances of this in real life.  If there are, I suspect that it would involve the roundabout being at grade with the highway running up above (?).  The other thing I should mention is that I usually try to limit the degree of slopes to no more than 1 length up/down for every two lengths of horizontal distance, but I must have been in a hurry to finish this roundabout, so the highway connectors are so incredibly unrealistic as to be farcical.  :no:

Roundabout.jpg

Those types of intersections do exist in real life. I've seen them with the roundabout at grade and the highway running above, and with the roundabout at grade and the highway dipping down and running below. I've also seen three-level versions.

I would recommend pulling the ramps way back. You're right, the angle is way too steep. I'd say roughly triple the length would probably be ok.

Here are a few examples:

stock-photo-aerial-view-of-a-highway-jun

This one is a bit similar to yours:

roundabout1.jpg

Here's one example of a three-level:

Roundabout%20preview-image.jpg

Another:

roundaboutinter.jpg

This insane looking thing, I guess I tried to take inspiration from this.

Needs neatening, having smooth curves is a weakness of mine and I kinda boxed myself in space wise, as is merging two two-lanes into a four lane and vice-versa. Transitions so to speak. Never look natural when I try to do them yet when I get some that look fine don't seem to function properly. Had the same issue with space with the rail lines there.

I hate how even though it doesn't look steep enough it still forms cliffs. Honestly would be fine with grass there if I could also get the terrain even more smoother... or atleast vegetation. I might alter one or two of the slip roads around to make it better looking.

Given how I'm currently redoing the entirity of the suburbs though might free up some more room to move some things around.

20170604221221_1.jpg

New to this, and looking for feedback on my first service interchange attempt.  I wanted to design a narrow "freeway corridor" suitable for upgrading dense urban areas where you're tight on space.

8tPYsX5.png

Here's a peek beneath:

yPGuQxx.png

More details:

Spoiler

Nothing protrudes more than 2 tiles from the highway thoroughfare.  Ignore the dirt roads, they're just to illustrate zoning availability and pillar clearances for ground-level underpasses.

On-ramps extend from both the left and right lanes of the roundabout (which itself is made up of a pair one-way highways), to load-balance lane usage and shorten queue lengths at intersections further back along the avenue.  If the avenue mainly feeds loops of one-way streets like pictured (i.e. no left turns) you could double-down on this tactic by bulldozing the two little right-hand on-ramp connectors (under the magenta arrows), forcing all highway-bound traffic into the left lane.

Spoiler

2Pkqqaj.png?1

I'd intended to isolate the two halves of the roundabout from each other and dedicate the middle lane to local through-traffic.  This proved tricky under the vanilla game (e.g. seems there's no way to force the innermost lane of a roundabout to be right-turn-only where it meets an intersection - so I couldn't achieve the dark yellow arrows from the second screenshot).  I'm also a little unhappy that drivers making a "left turn" off the highway need to travel 270° through the circle and merge into the middle lane to complete their transition.  As a result, the interchange might function a little better where traffic entering a highway tends to be heavier than that leaving it.

The roundabout's interior only fits two connections, and initially it was a tough choice whether to make them on-ramps or realign them as off-ramps.  The latter would eliminate the merges, but leave less knobs and levers to control upstream traffic.  If I was playing with Traffic++ and had the ability to toggle lane arrows, I might have considered creating an inverse version optimized for sucking traffic out of a highway, and use the two in a complimentary fashion (especially after reading it's good to have major arteries carry traffic off your freeways and disperse it to networks of smaller "veins" that collect it back up and feed it back to the highway at multiple locations).

I know the ramp turns are tight, but like I said I'm trying to maintain a narrow footprint.  The slight asymmetry between the left and right side of the interchange is because I was experimenting with different lengths / curvatures / underpass options.

Here's how it looks in my still-nascent town:

Spoiler

u43DNEc.png

I also toyed with bringing some ramps up in between the two highways, but didn't complete that revision.  If you offset the heights of the two highways, it's actually possible to cram them directly adjacent to each other and still keep ramps entirely under the footprint of the highway!

IzVK391.png

Would love to hear your critiques on all this, especially if you see any major flaws in my reasoning above (like I said, still new at this!)

4 hours ago, clindhartsen said:

I've been trying to up my game on intersections, smoother curves and compensate for lane merging. These are two that I made working against a really messed up map a person on Reddit was sharing.

20170708144351_1.jpg

20170710003409_1.jpg

Looks like decent vanilla interchanges to me.You did good.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:58 PM, rkagerer said:

New to this, and looking for feedback on my first service interchange attempt.  I wanted to design a narrow "freeway corridor" suitable for upgrading dense urban areas where you're tight on space. [...]

More details:

Reveal hidden contents

Nothing protrudes more than 2 tiles from the highway thoroughfare.  Ignore the dirt roads, they're just to illustrate zoning availability and pillar clearances for ground-level underpasses.

On-ramps extend from both the left and right lanes of the roundabout (which itself is made up of a pair one-way highways), to load-balance lane usage and shorten queue lengths at intersections further back along the avenue.  If the avenue mainly feeds loops of one-way streets like pictured (i.e. no left turns) you could double-down on this tactic by bulldozing the two little right-hand on-ramp connectors (under the magenta arrows), forcing all highway-bound traffic into the left lane.

Reveal hidden contents

2Pkqqaj.png?1

I'd intended to isolate the two halves of the roundabout from each other and dedicate the middle lane to local through-traffic.  This proved tricky under the vanilla game (e.g. seems there's no way to force the innermost lane of a roundabout to be right-turn-only where it meets an intersection - so I couldn't achieve the dark yellow arrows from the second screenshot).  I'm also a little unhappy that drivers making a "left turn" off the highway need to travel 270° through the circle and merge into the middle lane to complete their transition.  As a result, the interchange might function a little better where traffic entering a highway tends to be heavier than that leaving it.

The roundabout's interior only fits two connections, and initially it was a tough choice whether to make them on-ramps or realign them as off-ramps.  The latter would eliminate the merges, but leave less knobs and levers to control upstream traffic.  If I was playing with Traffic++ and had the ability to toggle lane arrows, I might have considered creating an inverse version optimized for sucking traffic out of a highway, and use the two in a complimentary fashion (especially after reading it's good to have major arteries carry traffic off your freeways and disperse it to networks of smaller "veins" that collect it back up and feed it back to the highway at multiple locations).

I know the ramp turns are tight, but like I said I'm trying to maintain a narrow footprint.  The slight asymmetry between the left and right side of the interchange is because I was experimenting with different lengths / curvatures / underpass options.

Here's how it looks in my still-nascent town:

Reveal hidden contents

u43DNEc.png

I also toyed with bringing some ramps up in between the two highways, but didn't complete that revision.  If you offset the heights of the two highways, it's actually possible to cram them directly adjacent to each other and still keep ramps entirely under the footprint of the highway!

IzVK391.png

Would love to hear your critiques on all this, especially if you see any major flaws in my reasoning above (like I said, still new at this!)

At the risk of not being much help, it looks to me like you've done a great job fulfilling your objective going into building the thing.

20170725210346_1.thumb.jpg.86d5edfeb9d03938dcca4f644ba30450.jpgServes the north part of the city centre and part of the university. Next process now I've finished redesigning the city centre (parts of the left on this image are pre-redevelopment, I've since changed them) would be to neaten the edges up with walls and foliage. That is alongside traffic controls for the ped streets cos cars are using them for some reason.

ATM gonna just let the game simulate zoning. At a later date I'll be replacing those buildings with ones I plop in and then filling with ground clutter.

Be nice if I could have just steep grassy banks rather than cliffs like that.

I have one more interchange to redesign but I need to terraform the land for that and work out how I'm gonna do it.

Not the best image for this but I plan to turn that, into something resembling the bottom three in principle:

EDIT: Update on what it used to look like.

Spoiler

20170725210242_2.jpg

auckland1.jpg

auckland2.jpg

auckland3.jpg

Compared to what it looks like now.

Spoiler

20170730162121_1.thumb.jpg.d6a646a4f0346e829fcda63204049de8.jpg20170730162226_1.thumb.jpg.548ecd2b00b5c7c27dc01b1bb29acd9f.jpg

20170730155002_1.jpg

Some changes might be made, like altering one or two roads around with move it to create ramps, changing the outside ramps from elevated to embanked roads as I put the terrain back to redevelop that area, and moving some of the elevated roads together so they're like a long bridge and maybe, switching back to the roads without the sound barriers for aesthetic reasons.

I have just noticed the elevated ramp that heads from the bottom to the left (LHD guys) is a bit unnecessary. It doesn't need to be elevated, it's not crossing anything.

Thing I'm getting to grips with the new guideline tool though. What needs doing? The tunnels need unjumbling (they crossover because the other side is unconventional and messy)

2 minutes ago, Arnold J. Rimmer said:

My first big interchange is almost done.

Its based on this: https://www.google.cz/maps/@34.0554468,-118.2125697,403m/data=!3m1!1e3

Time creation: two days

Textures: Los Angeles, Springwood, Cleyra

LUT: 70s vintage

07 - N5pOpRI.jpg

04 - HDf0nnz.jpg

05 - WaYBGqt.jpg

06 - CWRMzNL.jpg

03 - xkr1W2F.jpg

09 - eeLV7cG.jpg

01 - 7bx4x0p.jpg

02 - 4w2A0S0.jpg

08 - OxwKtQm.jpg

This is the best interchange I've seen so far.