cardiomonkey

Connecting PEG CDK Ferry terminals to road

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi

I am having some real problems with connecting the PEG CDK SV Ferry terminal to roads. Not just this particular ferry terminal but all of the PEG Ferry terminals. 

As you can see in the picture the road can be placed along side, but when I try and connect a road to the terminal road it doesn't work, just will not let me.

Another question is when using the PEG leveller it becomes difficult to place lots as it says it is "Overlapping a protected zone" 

Very strange, but hopefully someone who knows more than I can help.

Thanks

post-690480-0-40065300-1420059044_thumb.

Whilst the PEG leveler is helpful to get the right terrain height, it's not going to do all the work for you, usually some manual terraforming is required to help things along. If your shoreline is nice and straight, you don't need to worry, otherwise it would look nicer if you made it straight using the God Mode tools (to use these the God Terraforming in Mayor Mode mod is required). After that it's a good idea to make sure the shorline is uniform in height, to do this place single 1x1 street "stubs" on every grid square without dragging a road, they will flatten out the area you cover with them perfectly.

As for the roads leaving the ferry port, delete the road that runs alongside the terminal and you should find it's very easy to draw a road out of the lot. The reason you are having problems is that the land is not actually level and the game can't make the connection from the road to the lot due to the uneven terrain.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the tips

Here is a new go on a more level surface and on the left is the IND Ferry Terminal and the right the car and passenger (Both Peg). 

Even terrain and I can draw a road into the IND terminal but not to the other. 

So I think the problem here is less about surface and more something else. No matter how long I try and extend the road in or out of the terminal it cannot be connected, easy as pie with the one on the left. 

Very strange

For the "overlapping a protected zone," get the zone tool and dezone the "protected area." That should fix that issue.

Thanks a lot. Will give that a go and hopefully it helps.

Sweet

post-690480-0-21732400-1420071941_thumb.

The one on the right is not two roads, it's an Avenue like the equivalent Maxis lots, as always with Transit Enabled lots (any lot that you can run a network into/through) you must use the correct network or it won't work.

• Original Poster
  • The one on the right is not two roads, it's an Avenue like the equivalent Maxis lots, as always with Transit Enabled lots (any lot that you can run a network into/through) you must use the correct network or it won't work.

Well there you go, an Avenue. Now why didn't I think of trying that. 

Solved the problem, excellent. 

Thank You

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2014 at 7:54 PM, rsc204 said:

The one on the right is not two roads, it's an Avenue like the equivalent Maxis lots, as always with Transit Enabled lots (any lot that you can run a network into/through) you must use the correct network or it won't work.

well its been almost three years since you answered and the answer is still valid and helpful! Back into the game and trying some more mods. This was driving me nuts for a bit tonight. Thank you for the help.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, JDSquared said:

Thank you for the help.

I, for one, am happy to see it helped you. This also means the content of this thread is still relevant. *;)

22 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

Zombie raiser!

While we do technically have the rule about not bumping old threads, we (staff) have greatly reduced our insistence on that. Heck, some times peeps learn things when an old thread resurfaces. Granted, there are also times when the information has been superseded and is no longer valid. Basically, if someone bumps up an old thread with no ill intent then it's ok. We'd only be concerned if someone was spam bumping.

3 hours ago, CorinaMarie said:

Heck, some times peeps learn things when an old thread resurfaces.

There is actually more to be learned by reading old ST threads than pretty much any other way you could learn things about SC4, in my opinion. If you google "SimCity 4 (insert problem or question here)" the first several, and the majority of, results the search returns will be ST threads. So many weird or specific topics are covered in forums that aren't in the manual, guide, or in-game tutorials. And reading conversations is a way more digestible way of going about learning things than tackling the ~500 page Prima guide.

I too like old threads (as you can see in old threads about old threads... if that makes sense). However, tongue firmly planted in cheek, I couldn't resist the Halloween tie-in and linking to a picture to illustrate it.

Regarding the ferry with avenue: Perhaps the lot would be more intuitive if it had one of those avenue end-loops hanging out of it.

21 hours ago, licoricebomb said:

So many weird or specific topics are covered in forums that aren't in the manual, guide, or in-game tutorials. And reading conversations is a way more digestible way of going about learning things than tackling the ~500 page Prima guide.

That's the key right there. The very reason why community sites like ST are so important to a game's longevity. *:yes:

No official strategy guide can compare with the explorations and wealth of information collected over the years, from so many of us from around the world. These discoveries go well beyond established theory, venturing deep into previously uncharted waters. In such a vast ocean, the challenging part is often navigating your way around. Thankfully Google and the like make this task a whole lot easier. (And yep, the site's internal search does need a major overhaul.)

On 17/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, CorinaMarie said:

Heck, some times peeps learn things when an old thread resurfaces.

It's true and fascinating when threads like this do re-emerge. Not in all cases, but absolutely there can perfectly valid advice to glean, regardless of when it was posted. Just because something was written a few years back (or a long, long time ago), doesn't mean it can no longer be applied to this day.

Also sometimes a nice bonus is making others aware of the info, or leading to follow-on discussions based upon newly acquired knowledge. I always think if one person wonders about something, there's usually at least one other, if not many more searching for the exact same answer. It's good to go with the flow.

3 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

Regarding the ferry with avenue: Perhaps the lot would be more intuitive if it had one of those avenue end-loops hanging out of it.

Indeed, it's not exactly the most obvious. I guess many would follow what the OP had tried by attempting a standard road connection to each lane. Since avenues in the game have a rounded loop at the end, it does appear different than what the player expects.

Also after all, the game's standard car & passenger terminal only allows road connections:

CAP-Terminal Road Only.jpg

Which doesn't really make sense from an entry / exit point of view. Aren't you meant to drive through the front gate to pay?

An avenue can lead right up to the last tile:

CAP-Terminal Road Ave.jpg

But this isn't much better (especially on left hand drive).

So in terms of traffic flow, clearly Pegasus had the right idea with using an avenue only connection. Just as the transit enabling is done differently compared to the standard terminal, this could also contribute to the misconception it requires roads.

I guess it always helps to carefully read the description... *:read:

Pegasus said:

The Ferry Landing is wider but shallower in size (4x3 tiles vs. 3x5 tiles) and is transit enabled to allow avenues to connect directly to it... instead of the roads used on the original. This should ease some traffic issues associated with the default ferries that can lower desirability and mayor ratings. Optionally, you can place a road perpendicular to the lot and connect to this with high-volume one-way streets, roads or even streets.

10 hours ago, jeffryfisher said:

You know, it does annoy me when people fail to read the included instructions and complain something isn't intuitive. Someone has to take the time to write these things you know, its not always going to simply be intuitive if you don't take the time to read them.

Avenue end-loops would be very impractical to add, it just doesn't fit with the way TE modding works. If you included that on the lot, it would remain a loop, even after you connected it. You can't meld lots and game networks in the way you are thinking. The lot textures are fixed and won't alter based on the surrounding networks like they do when used normally.

13 hours ago, rsc204 said:

You know, it does annoy me when people fail to read the included instructions and complain something isn't intuitive.

A) I wasn't complaining, I was offering a suggestion. There's a difference. Please don't get annoyed by suggestions. Even if they're impractical, they are teaching opportunities

B) I'm not the original poster, so don't even own the lot, so I don't have the instructions (nor am I the one who needs them).

C) I do read all of the instructions in the mods that I download, so your scolding is out of line.

D) "Intuitive", in a tool-use context means "easy to understand without need of instruction or explanation", so instructions are irrelevant to whether something's usage is intuitive (though being intuitive affects the need for instructions and their level of detail). Mods aren't required to be intuitive, but it's nice when they are, hence my suggestion.

13 hours ago, rsc204 said:

If you included that on the lot, it would remain a loop, even after you connected it. You can't meld lots and game networks in the way you are thinking. The lot textures are fixed and won't alter based on the surrounding networks like they do when used normally.

Now that's interesting. I suppose that the avenue overpass is a pure network piece, so it can come with end-loops sticking out and dynamically attachable. I didn't know that lots were categorically different in a way that they couldn't come with similar extensions. That's good to learn.

49 minutes ago, jeffryfisher said:

A) I wasn't complaining, I was offering a suggestion. There's a difference. Please don't get annoyed by suggestions. Even if they're impractical, they are teaching opportunities

B) I'm not the original poster, so don't even own the lot, so I don't have the instructions (nor am I the one who needs them).

C) I do read all of the instructions in the mods that I download, so your scolding is out of line.

D) "Intuitive", in a tool-use context means "easy to understand without need of instruction or explanation", so instructions are irrelevant to whether something's usage is intuitive (though being intuitive affects the need for instructions and their level of detail). Mods aren't required to be intuitive, but it's nice when they are, hence my suggestion.

Likewise my comment wasn't directed at you personally, just a reflection of my opinion based upon them. I'm not scolding anyone, but this is one of those cases where simply taking a moment to read instructions would have made things crystal clear. The point is two-fold really, that it's not always possible to make things completely obvious, plus users should always read the documentation/description of mods before use.

This second point annoys me personally because documentation takes a lot of time and is nothing but work. Having done that work diligently, every time an issue comes up which was clearly explained, it feels like an additional waste of one's time. Now, I'm not a complete arse, so I will help people and point things out, I'm sure you see many times I answer such questions. But it does make you wonder why bother to spend hours documenting things in the first place.

49 minutes ago, jeffryfisher said:

I suppose that the avenue overpass is a pure network piece

Exactly, for parts of a network to change, RUL code is required. If you look at lot-based variants of such pieces, you'll note they do not have these stubs. Because you can't use RUL to affect the textures on a lot, only proper networks.