MushyMushy

Mushy's Random BATs

422 posts in this topic Last Reply

N0icqd8.jpg

(OP last updated 10/16/16)

Welcome to my BAT thread, which has no particular theme (hence the name). I kind of bounce around on projects and abandon/return to them on a whim, but I try to release stuff sometimes :uhm:. My old releases were made with gmax, but all of my current and future projects are being worked on in Autodesk 3DSmax 2014.

I will take most requests (in-thread or via a PM), though as I've said I'm not good at releasing stuff in a timely manner...  so don't expect it to be speedy.

---

Completed Projects - Finished projects that can be downloaded off the STEX. Click the links to go to their STEX pages.

NA Semi Cab Pack 1 (gmax)(HD)(link)    Extra: MMP Version by SimCoug

cycg1Kf.jpg

NA 40ft Semi Trailer Pack 1 (gmax)(HD)(link)

v0ULbh4.jpg

NA 53ft Semi Trailer Pack 1 (gmax)(HD)(link)

1d7iUxX.jpg

American-Style School Bus Pack (3dsmax)(HD)(link)

CRtZoNP.jpg

---

Current Projects - Unfinished projects that are being actively worked on.

Memphis Fire Station No.21 (HD)

IS54zmx.jpg

(Name TBD) 370m container ship (SD)

370m10.jpg

EU Semi Truck Pack 1 (HD)

ryvkMVC.jpg

---

On-Hold Projects - Unfinished projects that are not being actively worked on, but will be returned to later.

JPN Yokohama Apartments (HD)

EoYflt1.jpg

---

Planned Projects - Stuff that I haven't worked on. This list can include any requests I've yet to start on or stuff that I myself have an interest in doing. The list is not in any specific order. Just because something is on this list does not mean it will be made. This is just stuff I hope to do at some point.

• JPN Truck Pack
  • Expansions for NA and EU Truck Packs
  • Freight train props
  • Assorted JPN buildings
  • Mercedes Sprinter & Vito
  • Construction props and buildings under construction
  • A set of road -> subway underpasses for all Maxis and NAM road networks

• Original Poster
  • So I finished up both versions of the USPS truck (took longer than I had hoped).

Notes:

- I actually botched the rendering of the ortho double axle variant, so it's not present in the image (currently). I'll be fixing that...

- I'll come out with the other liveries later.

USPS trucks

(Yes, the trucks have shadows in SC4. This is the LE so the shadows don't show)

MAmO498.png

I'm curious as to whether or not people are interested in a smaller delivery truck model as well (blank, USPS, UPS, FedEx, etc). By that, I mean something like this:

usps-truck.top.jpg

That stuff aside, I'd like to widen the range of possibilities for liveries. If you guys have an imaginary company (or a real one) you'd like to have a variation of these trucks for, just post the logo design and the color scheme of the vehicle you want (also specify SA/DA/both). Then I'll just take a screenshot of your post it and make a truck for the imaginary/real company.

-Mush

• Original Poster
  • I haven't made much progress lately. This update is more to give an overview of what's finished, which really isn't a whole lot. School got back in recently so that's been consuming a great deal of my time, as well as an ongoing SC4 project (CJ coming soon), and I'm also watching a number of anime shows... so I haven't really found the time for BATing. Despite these other things, I'm hoping to possibly get some more liveries done this weekend, or instead I might work on the another delivery truck model similar to the one depicted above (albeit slightly newer).

That news aside, I present an overview of the work so far, with every angle of every model represented (hey, they're small models so I can do that :D )...

Blank SA

RvZCjo0.jpg

Blank DA

0sK9I0E.jpg

UPS SA

a1z550X.jpg

UPS DA

Iafal4o.jpg

USPS SA

QXb5LYO.jpg

USPS DA

irYKOv3.jpg

I'm thinking that after I do the two rental company liveries of choice (Penske and U-Haul), as well as the used variants with the logos removed, I'll release the stuff as a set. When I'm talking about used, I mean with the paintjob still on the truck but the logo painted over or blasted off. I couldn't find a Penske image on the internet (but I see them around here so I'll still have references for textures), but I did find a U-Haul one. Obviously the truck shown is smaller than the ones I'm BATing but it'll work as a reference.

POikX2A.jpg

I'm still sort of getting used to BATing so sorry if I'm over-excited with the tiny progress I've made so far.

~Mush

Wow. That's a 'ton' of trucks :P You seem to have quite the knack for BATing :D

And no need to worry about being over-excited. Everyone's like that at first. Besides, this is great progress, not small in the least :)

Yes, I'm all for generic variants without a logo. These trucks would also come in handy for industrial lots, and you don't want dozens of UPS trucks standing at your logistics centre... then again, if they're all just white, it's also a tad boring. ;)

• Original Poster
  • I decided to take a little break from BATing trucks.

I've ended up making a super large ship. It was initially based on a 600ft 1969 US Navy carrier, but after I botched the length of the model in gmax it morphed into a ~1100ft long container ship; It is approximately 2.5 tiles wide and 21 tiles long and I'll probably release it at number of different angles and with various numbers of containers on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware this will be the largest ship BAT available in SC4 once it's completed.

Click the image for full size - be aware that this a very large image (1920x1080 screenshot). I rendered it in low quality for the sake of time.

laUqO8A.png

• Original Poster
  • So I haven't posted here in a while...

I tried out 3DSmax but just couldn't get into it as much as gmax, so I kinda just dropped 3D modeling for a while. Yesterday I stumbled upon a gmax model that I had been working on: a combo of a Peterbilt 359 exhd and a Jobuilt Phantom from GTAV... so I finished it up and exported it. I've polished up my skills a bit and aimed for a scale that fits the game (not necessarily 100% accurate to real life, but then again most of the car props in SC4 are overscaled anyway). Since all I've done is texture work and the final modeling on the tractor unit, there's no trailers or liveries to show at this point (but I intend to do a variety of them). Did I mention they were HD? Here's the results for now:

OwZBvp2.jpg

I tried to aim for a scale that's just a hair smaller than jes's intermodal truck pack, since they always appeared slightly larger than the other American semi truck models (such as jes's other ones and PEG's ones for the CDK set). As of now I only have these 4 colors planned for the "standalone" set (the models that won't have trailers). The ones with company trailers hitched will have colors that match the company livery.

Planned trailers are currently:

• 40' Box Trailers
    • 40' Tanker Trailers
    • 53' Box Trailers (possibly some tri-axle ones too)
    • 53' Flatbed Trailers
    • 53' Dropdeck

In addition to real company liveries and blank trailers, I will most likely add in some fictitious ones for the fun of it. Once I get the basic framework done they probably won't be very hard to produce at a reasonable speed. The only foreseeable problem is the render time, since it already takes 45-70 seconds to render just the tractor unit (time varies by angle). For kicks I looked at the poly count: was over 33,000. That's probably the problem... :]

Source material:

JobuiltPhantom-Front-GTAV.png

File:JobuiltPhantom-Rear-GTAV.png

EDIT: I may also return to the boat at some point, I'm just too busy right now to get into a massive undertaking like that.

Edited by MushyMushy  

image didn't show up

Wow, what a comeback! For props like these, HD actually makes sense, I guess. I also think you made a good scaling choice. We all know scale is a mess in SimCity4, but many trucks jsut look a tad too big with some buildings - learnt that while making industrial lots. That's also why I adapted truck/trailer choice to the particular building.

• Original Poster
  • So I've made the 2 sizes of basic box trailers. I went ahead and did a test render of the longer one hitched to a black semi cab. Scale is a finicky thing, but I think I did alright. The trailers are both slightly overscaled in terms of SC4's 16m tiles (~56ft) so that they match with the similarly overscaled models in popular car/truck packs.

At first I thought the sides were a bit brighter than I had wanted, but in reality the sides of white trailers here are pretty much ice white anyway. The top is textured a shade darker to represent weathering and such. Also, since the trailers are fairly large props, they feature tighter LODs so that placing them near other smaller props shouldn't be an issue (I hope :lol:). Credit for base textures used for display goes to paeng and are from his modular truck stop set.

LwKQK1r.jpg

hokDUmY.jpg

W9nU4Le.jpg

MfM4VYS.jpg

It is now my intention to release the dropdeck trailers separately as part of a construction set, since I will need to model up some various pieces of construction equipment to put on the back of those trailers. I'm also looking to model at least one more American-style truck before moving on and doing a couple of Euro/Asian-styled ones, but I'll probably do that after I mess around with trailers some more. The Euro trucks will have their own trailers (since the ones pictured above are more American-styled), which I'll make later after studying those more.

Edited by MushyMushy  

I must confess that I don't like anything about these trucks. That's probably because I love everything I'm seeing here. :golly: Once again, the scale looks spot on and manageable (they are huge vehicles, after all!), and weathering the top is a great touch. As _B wrote: Keep it up!

Trucks is something we are short on. Modelling it pretty decent. Do you plan on giving them the standard look (white containers), or will there be a huge range of containers like coloured ones and trucks with containers for companies (you know? Those trucks who are carrying stuff for a specific company and therefore have their logos and stuff?)

dscf0002.jpg

HPIM1150.JPG

Goetze-Logistik-Verteiler-LKW-Anhaenger3

Mehrachsiger_Anhaenger.jpg

• Original Poster
  • Trucks is something we are short on. Modelling it pretty decent. Do you plan on giving them the standard look (white containers), or will there be a huge range of containers like coloured ones and trucks with containers for companies (you know? Those trucks who are carrying stuff for a specific company and therefore have their logos and stuff?)

(snip)

It's certainly my intention to add a wide variety of company logos to the box trailers and a few different ones for the tanker trailers once they're modeled. The flatbed ones (not done with those yet either) of course won't have any logos since there's no room, but I do intend to put some different varieties of cargo on them.

EDIT: Actually, on the subject of flatbed trailers... I've got a set of test renders:

CU8BRGy.jpg

This is still just in gmax and I'm not done checking for any texture errors, but I think I'm pretty close to being done with this one. After that I'll need to export it at 22.5(L/R), 45, and 90 degrees before making a triple-axle variant for heavier cargo. After that it's on to the tankers. After that I'll probably look at making another cab or two before making company varieties of all applicable models.

Edited by MushyMushy  

added image of pre-renders

Interesting. I was just wondering whether the trailer axles aren't a bit too far towards the rear, but when I searched for images of American flatbed trucks, I saw that your model conforms to the pictures I saw and also to the type drawings on this website. I have the impression that European flatbed trailers more often have the axles a tad further towards the front, see this picture. I wonder why that is: different laws and regulations, narrower roads / tighter curves?

In any case, the textures are great once again!

Trucks is something we are short on. Modelling it pretty decent. Do you plan on giving them the standard look (white containers), or will there be a huge range of containers like coloured ones and trucks with containers for companies (you know? Those trucks who are carrying stuff for a specific company and therefore have their logos and stuff?)

(snip)

It's certainly my intention to add a wide variety of company logos to the box trailers and a few different ones for the tanker trailers once they're modeled. The flatbed ones (not done with those yet either) of course won't have any logos since there's no room, but I do intend to put some different varieties of cargo on them.

That's great to hear! Be good to have some UK hauliers or large retail stores included. The new models look superb!

• Original Poster
  • Interesting. I was just wondering whether the trailer axles aren't a bit too far towards the rear, but when I searched for images of American flatbed trucks, I saw that your model conforms to the pictures I saw and also to the type drawings on this website. I have the impression that European flatbed trailers more often have the axles a tad further towards the front, see this picture. I wonder why that is: different laws and regulations, narrower roads / tighter curves?

In any case, the textures are great once again!

Yeah, after studying the Euro trailers a bit I noticed there were some pretty major differences in design - I'm not really sure why. To me, the Euro ones actually seem better-designed since it would seem safer to have the axles closer to the middle imho. I'll have to study that stuff some more once I get to that point.

As a side note, i always thought American flatbed trailers looked really odd... at least as far as the spread-axle type are concerned.

May I guess truck logos will be somewhat along the lines of Pisswasser, Cluckin' Bell, Up'n'atom, RON and eCola? ;)

Hah, maybe I'll make put those on the side too for all those GTA fans out there. :P

---

I also had time to run some quick test renders for the triple-axle flatbed:

pHnIF9J.jpg

---

I looked some images of American and Euro cabs and decided on these three:

Kenworth T800 (I'm not entirely sure what model year it is) - I chose it since it's a little bit shorter in length than the Peterbilt I've already modeled (which is a pointlessly massive truck :lol:)

laaf6kh.jpg

2006 Scania truck

EZKPjx5.jpg

2008 DAF truck

IQr5mJb.jpg

Since Scanias are apparently somewhat famous (or something) in the EU, I'll probably render two size versions: A single-axle one like the one in the picture and a double-axle variant. I decided to make all of the truck models a few years old since the majority of ones I see on the road are just that.

Also, I'll probably be moving a bit slower with this for the next two weeks, as I'm going on a trip. I'll still get some work done, but since I'll be out of town I'll want to get out and do stuff... I have to get up at like 2AM tomorrow to drive to the next state over to catch a flight across the country... isn't traveling fun? :(

Edited by MushyMushy  

• Original Poster
  • So I haven't had much time to play around with the BAT since traveling keeps you busy, but I got a chance last night to work on some company trailers. In the spirit of Memphis pride I of course did FedEx first (we're the base of FedEx Freight), although annoyingly enough, I couldn't find any decent resolution FedEx Freight logo vectors; I had to settle for FedEx Ground and Express. The other ones shown are: a blank one (for reference), Target, Best Buy, and Walmart. Due to limited time I only did test renders of the orthogonal ones and haven't done the company textures for the Phantom. As a side note, when I was looking at images I noticed that the Walmart trailers were often dirtier than the other 4 companies I did - the Walmart textures reflect this. Granted I didn't make the trailer filthy... but if you look closely it should have a bit more dirt/grime. The FedEx trailers also include a few more labels and other markers since the real life ones do (I'm guessing this is due to them being general freight trailers instead of retail trailers). I suspect that the other freight trailers I'll be doing later will be the same way.

tEq3ij3.jpg

MeAKKdm.jpg

x8uWLVd.jpg

I'll come back to making the other angles and the truck textures for these companies later.

As for doing more trailers, I'm currently just focusing on the 53ft box trailers (I'll do the 40ft ones and the tankers after that). Current planned real-life liveries include (but are definitely not limited to): Conway Freight, Roadway Freight, Yellow Freight, UPS, Kroger, Costco, Safeway, Werner Enterprises, and a rusted out variant (those are pretty common around here at abandoned gas stations). If you guys want to request a real-life American (I'll be doing the EU set after I finish this one up) company to be added to the list, feel free to do so.

In addition to that, I'm also doing fictitious companies so if you have a company you made up and would like to have its logo on one of these trailers, just include the following things in your reply:

• a .png of the logo with no background (transparent!) - other files that accept transparency are fine
    • an image file (little square of color basically :lol:) of what you want the company color to be (no specification = standard white)
    • type of company (i.e. freight/trucking, retail, industry, etc) for the purpose of labels
    • if you want the trailer to be dirtier than average

I'm also adding another truck to my list of ones to model: some random 2003 Mack truck. It only has a day cab so it'll be quite a bit shorter than the other American trucks I'm making (plus it's a lot more utilitarian and less showy than the other ones).

TegPUTP.jpg

Well that post definitely turned out longer than I expected! :P

Edited by MushyMushy  

(I'll be doing the EU set after I finish this one up) 

In addition to that, I'm also doing fictitious companies so if you have a company you made up and would like to have its logo on one of these trailers, just include the following things in your reply:

• a .png of the logo with no background (transparent!) - other files that accept transparency are fine
    • an image file (little square of color basically :lol:) of what you want the company color to be (no specification = standard white)
    • type of company (i.e. freight/trucking, retail, industry, etc) for the purpose of labels

Good to hear about EU options. 

As for custom trailers, that's a great idea and very generous. If you're happy for me to send a few through would that be OK? I'd rather they use the planned Scania or DAF trucks given Perseus' European feel. I can hold off on any company requests until you've time to model the Euro trucks

Have you ever considered streamlined trailers? 

teardrop-mk-two.jpg

Edited by Belfastsocrates  

• Original Poster
  • (I'll be doing the EU set after I finish this one up) 

Good to hear about EU options. 

As for custom trailers, that's a great idea and very generous. If you're happy for me to send a few through would that be OK? I'd rather they use the planned Scania or DAF trucks given Perseus' European feel. I can hold off on any company requests until you've time to model the Euro trucks

Yeah, I'd be happy to put what you want on the EU trailers/trucks once they get made! It would be good to wait until I get to that point like you said... so I don't forget about the request :lol:. It may be a little while (not too long though), since from what I can tell EU trailers are a good bit different from US ones so I'll have to study them some before doing a remodel of the current trailers I have. Anyway, thanks for the reply~

EDIT: Streamlined trailers? Didn't actually know such a thing existed! I'll probably make some of those for the EU set (since they look kinda neat!)  once I get there. Since Americans love burning more gas than necessary, we don't actually have those. The closest thing we have to streamlined trailers are panels added to the underside and the back of the box to reduce drag (which I skipped since a lot of companies don't use those).

Thanks for pointing those out to me.

-----

So I've been working on this for about 5 hours straight since I woke up super early and had nothing to do... I got a lot done. :party:

I've made 9 more trailers (probably the last of the 53ft RL-company trailers):

SNCLZec.jpg

tXrHKI9.jpg

1mt4wuw.jpg

I ended up not doing Werner Enterprises' trailer since I was having problems with the logos on them. I did DHL instead since I noticed they actually do run trucks in the US, not just in Europe.

---

I'm still figuring out what to do with the tanker trailers (i.e. haven't started :lol:), so instead I made a log hauling trailer for the heck of it (I'll make a few loaded variants later):

jRKhcdy.jpg

I stuck a white background on the test render since it would be pretty hard to see any of the details if the background was black. The dark spot in the middle of the trailer is a spare tire. Lots of trailers have them but since all the trailers have been opaque so far, I haven't had to actually add the spare tire.

---

I also finished up the Mack truck; when I looked for more reference photos I learned it is actually a 2003 Mack CH613. I'll do the Kenworth later - this one took long enough :P (I'm tired of modeling for one day!). I've actually already exported it in diag/FA and in black and white, but I got some errors due to messing up the LODs so I just decided to post the test render instead since I'm not in the mood to deal with it. I included a close-up for funsies and added a white background for the same reason as the log trailer. It's not a perfect replica but I don't think that's super important considering how tiny it is in-game.

Some notes: The purple thing is the wires/cords that are hooked up to the trailer for brakes and taillights; this truck is a lot smaller than the Peterbilt so a lot of the stuff that's hidden under metal panels on that truck are exposed on this one. Also, for some odd reason, Mack made this truck only have one reverse light. :lol:

qTqttq5.jpg

Happy BATing~

Edited by MushyMushy  

• Original Poster
  • So I've decided to break the pack down into more manageable chunks (which will also help me get around to the EU trucks sooner). My current plan is to release all of the real-life American box semi trucks (40ft and 53ft) and the standalone tractor units as a base set and release additional prop packs later that are meant to go with it. This means that the base set will be done pretty soon and afterwords I can play around with the EU ones. I'm looking to make fictitious trailers of my own design and from requests into their own packs released separately (in groups of maybe 10 designs/liveries).

Before I go off on a tangent like I always do, let me just show you guys some pictures so I can be done with this for the day. :party:

2wmmNGl.jpg

aKMqGQ0.jpg

So the 40 footers haven't been seen in a while. In the end I decided to make fewer liveries for them since 40ft trailers aren't as popular now as 53ft ones or 20ft tandems. Since the Mack is considerably smaller than the other two trucks, I paired it up with these trailers. It will likely also be paired with tandems if I ever decide to make those. I added the aerodynamic thingy on the roofs of some of the trucks - none of the pictures of American DHL semi trucks that I could find had them installed so I left it flat like the blank ones. The 53 footers will most likely be primarily hitched to the Phantom.

---

Wait, did I say that the Mack was smaller than the other two trucks? I thought there was only the Phantom... not anymore! I'm pleased to present what is apparently a 2000 model year Kenworth T800, which is one of the beefiest trucks you'll see on a regular basis.

p5HWyeh.jpg

I left off the sleeper, but I can always add it later. This method gave me more options and possible customizations for this truck, which will likely be featured with some of the heavier trailers in the future. I can add or leave off the sleeper and add an extra axle to make it a tridem (yea that's a word apparently) for some of the oversized load stuff I'll do at some point. This is also a popular model truck to be made into dump trucks and other construction equipment like cranes, so if I get around to making straight trucks it will likely return again (at least the cab section will).

Happy BATing~