Sign in to follow this  
UndercoverNinja12

How to deal with garbage?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, I'm getting pretty upset at having to put giant garbage processing plants in every city, or having to make a city into a giant waste dump. Is there any way around it? I've tried ordinances and I've made the garbage centers, but is there possibly a cheat or a plugin or something to help with this? It's not realistic that my Sims produce the amount of garbage they do, imo. Thanks a lot! :D

Are you looking for something like this? 

Or maybe this? 

You might be trying to avoid this style but this works as well. 

How about this? 

These were found using the simple search box in the upper right hand corner of the simtropolis sight set to search the exchange here using the key word...garbage.

Also when looking for things I suggest using the thread here 

I find on a daily basis I am amazed at what some of the people here can find.  My search was rather rudimentary in nature, the people who haunt that thread are like super sleuths of ALL exchanges spanning many different sites.

I personally have nothing against garbage.  It is all part of the challenge to me to find ways of dealing with it.

Some custom content is badly modded, producing incredible amounts of garbage - I mean orders of magnitude bigger. The first thing you should do is find if you have installed such buildings.

Now about garbage processing,take a look at the following posts:

Completely off-topic but Initially I read "How to deal with cabbage" I think it is time for a nap.

LOL.  I could use a nap also.

Anyway, back on topic.  You could also set up one city that has your garbarge processing facilities and then make garbage deals to that city.  You can daisy chain the garbage deals several cities away.

you can daisy chain the garbage deal but that quickly get out of control doesn't it? if you do that you got to have notepad running at the same time to try to organize all your agreements. And then the garbage city just gets clobbered in garbage. I keep my garbage about 1 tile away I figure every city has to deal with garbage in real life. And in the city where I live Calgary we have multiple garbage dumps.

You could try to be a real... mayor and dump every trash produced into a single city tile out in the middle of the land like in RL.... of course you have to make shaky neighbor deals and hope that the trash actually gets shipped out. It saves money on early cities and its a pain relief to your city, but the massive landfill tile will be... land filled :P. So either you use any of the aftermentioned options of go with this insane option. :P

you can daisy chain the garbage deal but that quickly get out of control doesn't it? if you do that you got to have notepad running at the same time to try to organize all your agreements. And then the garbage city just gets clobbered in garbage. I keep my garbage about 1 tile away I figure every city has to deal with garbage in real life. And in the city where I live Calgary we have multiple garbage dumps.

Out of control?  Not really.  I have a region of 75 cities and use only one city to dispose of garbage.  All other cities use garbage deals to eventually 'dump' their garbage in the one city.  I don't find any trouble keeping the deals up and running and on track.  And for that matter, this one city also provides power for the whole region (Yes, I daisy chain power also).

And as far as each city having to deal with garbage - that is true.  However you will find in real life that the vast majority of cities do not take care of their trash within city borders.  Usually the garbage company has a few landfills where they dump all the garbage of the cities' they are contracted with.

Yes in my experience where I have "daisy chained" garbage through several tiles into one terminal "garbage city" tile I have found it helps to keep handwritten notes on how it's structured.  Also, you should periodically check on the garbage transfers to make sure nothing has broken down.

One pleasant side effect of this is that some of your cities in the middle of the "daisy chain" can end up making money every month just from sending the gargage down the chain, such as buying garbage at 0.82 simoleans per ton and selling it at 0.85 per ton.

Another way to orchestrate neighbor deals (not just for garbage) is to push maximum revenue and minimum cost when running each sector, then "buy" a bit of surplus in each buying deal when leaving it. Granted, it's a bit of a cheat to run a sector at one deal level and then run neighbors at another, but "pushing" sales effectively distributes services (as long as you've gotten over the initialization hump).

For example, in the SF region (Maxis original), Crystal Springs supplies water to all 22 sectors on the peninsula. It has TWO large water pumps (over 400,000 water units), and next year it might need a third.