Sign in to follow this  
macscfan

New Expansion Pack in November - Cities of Tomorrow

148 posts in this topic Last Reply

Thread title says it all, does anybody know anything about whether map sizes are being increased, modding, etc.

1230101_498111606951549_924454073_n.jpg

998297_497639710332072_1717163412_n.jpg

http://simscommunity.net/simcitys-new-ep-cities-of-tomorrow/

It's a good idea, but I'm not spending any more money until there are larger map sizes, modding, and a few other things are fixed here and there.

They should have named the expansion pack "SIMCITY: We paid so much in fixing our buggy, troublesome version we need to release an expansion to make more money to pay for what we should have released with!"

Why is this being leaked to the Sims community first?

They should have named the expansion pack "SIMCITY: We paid so much in fixing our buggy, troublesome version we need to release an expansion to make more money to pay for what we should have released with!"

Why is this being leaked to the Sims community first?

I think it was leaked on the Brazil Simcity Facebook page first.

Anyway, looks pretty cool to me.

You all are complaining about the right thing, but in the wrong manor. If you believe I am going to spend money to have bigger cities then EA is out of its mind, and I'm sure EA understands this as well no matter how terrible their service is. I believe larger cities will be coming soon, and this expansion pack will fit perfectly within our expanded cities.

Only the community of modders, to whom I owe so much enjoyment, can fix this game. I look forward to the day the servers shut down as this should legally force EA to unlock the game. Then the modders can get to work on fixing this broken and pitiful game.

Specifically, the problems with this game are well known - tile size, non contingent tiles, etc. Bigger buildings will only emphasize this. 

The key to previous SC games was that to build up, first you must build out. It forced you to recognise the requirement for low wealth areas and high wealth areas. Many among us grew to love our high density housing projects and poor areas of town on the outskirts of industrial regions as much as we loved the high wealth commercial centre.

Now within 2hrs of play, every city is the same: a perfectly square, tall and unrealistic monolith in a field of green.

Good try, EA.  A new expansion pack is not enough to win me over.  I want to know exactly how much larger will city sizes be.  It better have subways, customizable highways and city connections, large-scale terraforming, and such that are absent in the vanilla.

I am still waiting for a 100% offline single player mode.  If it does not come, then I will not buy.  If it never comes, I keep my money in my wallet.

can't wait to see it 

and here come the hate comments

i know the map sizes are small 

i own a celeron and a ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

and the game runs Just just just ok on high settings and is a little slow

but i love the game

as i say at least they made a new simcity  

just looks like a new building pack to me....

i certainly won't be buying unless they fix the glaring problems evident with the version that i spent a not insubstantial amount of money on

Well, this is going to be it. The expantion will either feature bigger maps and mod support or it will not.

We knew this 'futuristic superskyscrapers' expantion was coming through the survey released a while back (http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1hjg25/potential_feature_changes_in_simcity_survey/).

Details about it included:

- Higher sky scrapers

- Multiple zones in one skyscraper

- Multi-layer transport

- Denser cities with more population

- Cities slowly become more advanced over time

- Cities advancement influences the region

Comporation cities with:

- Mega corporation (OmegaCorp) which consumes resources for money

- Robotic augment services as new industry

Green cities with:

- Academy which researches more sustainable technologies

I admit that I like the features on this 'arcology expansion' the least of all the potential changes alluded to in the survey. However, many of the OTHER changes in the survey, I loved. THE big question is of course the bigger maps. Maxis know we want this most of all so if it isn't included in the expansion or patched in before that, they have technical issues which would be beyond terrible. The other question I have is if modding get's included now. It has been standard practice to add it in the first expansion pack, and it would greatly improve the value of the game. If it isn't, it would seem Maxis cannot convince EA of the obvious benefits of an active modding community which would also be terrible. 

So either Simcity 2013 will show itself to be the game most of us want it to be, that needed time to take shape or it will show itself to be like a ship without a captain, unable to get where it needs to go.

What do you guys think of the features this expansion is going to have, which I listed above?

I'll join the rest of the crowd: No bigger maps,  no more $. I love the idea of building futuristic cities but the map size became a major roadblock as I played more.

For example I really wanted to try out the game with patch 7, but then I thought of the city borders, and didn't start up the game. It's been sitting idle for too long!

The maps are just too small :hmph:

I'm a little disappointing with the premise. I was hoping all along that the first expansion would have an farming/agricultural and food processing specialization. This was in early concepts for the game but were ultimately cut out before the game was released.

Another concept early on was a timber specialization, but that too was axed (pun intended). It's a shame, a lot of maps are heavily wooded, it would be fun to start logging and watch what happens to the map.

I have watched this game from the start. If this includes larger maps and/or modding support, this game becomes a possible contender for purchase. Mind you, I will still be on the fence, but not totally off the fence as is now. Only time will tell. Hope!

Its obvious EA have a very specific plan with regards to releasing DLC, I dont think think ANYTHING will get in the way of that. Not even the negative press the game is still getting.

Id be quite happy to see what content is made available but I think ill be more interested in the price. Anything abouve £29 will put me straight off.

With regards to bigger maps, modding ect. I can't see EA giving us anything significant. Massive game improvements will always be kept for future releases and Im pretty sure EA have a planned life cycle for this game.

- Multi-layer transport

What?

Does this mean we will get to build transportation in link skyscrappers together with sky roads?

This Expansion Pack seems like it adds the future stuff from Simcity 2000.

If this gives me the futuristic building sets and advancements like Simcity 2000 (Sega Saturn) did, I might cave and buy it.

I miss the futuristic building sets from that game.

That means I'll have spent ~$90 (I got the digital deluxe upgrade for $4), If I buy the expansion pack.

in comparision with the other games:

• I spent $100 on Simcity 3000 thanks to Simcity 3000U 8 months later.
  • I spent $100 on Simcity 4 thanks to me buying 3 copies of the game (I cracked the disc for the first copy, bought a second copy, then the Steam copy to play disc free)
  • I spent $80 on Simcity 2000 (I wanted the PC version)
  • I spent ~$80 on Simcity 1 thanks to the PC and Wii versions (I will spend money to upgrade to the Wii U version if it ever sees the light of day)

I guess there are much worse things to spend money on than on Simcity stuff.

I kinda wonder if they're holding bigger maps back intentionally.

This first (half) year after release, it's been a common saying that SimCity suffers from a giant problem: Too small maps. The rest of the crap can be lived with, or dealt with otherwise, but the small maps are a deal breaker for many. Meanwhile, EA keep spewing DLC, making the limited space all the more contested by each release. In the end, the noise about the tiny maps are a defining characteristic with the game.

Then, they release bigger maps. Fans, starved for anything bigger than the tennis court we've been dealt, happily squee and start talking positively about the game again. This might spark a second wave of purchases, making the game relevant once again.

Or, more likely, they've painted themselves into a corner with GlassBox, and bugs will become really apparent if the maps are made any bigger. If the agent cap isn't raised, you'll get to a point where the city looks less crowded the higher the population is, because the limited number of sims are spread across a bigger area.

I look at the puddle of goop that once was the bigger map dead horse, it has been flogged so much by those going on ad infinitum about bigger maps that's all that is left of the bigger map dead horse is said puddle of goop...

Because it seems all that I ever see is bigger map this bigger map that so much so I am surprised a lot more have not gone insane with the constant going on about it..

I kinda wonder if they're holding bigger maps back intentionally.

This first (half) year after release, it's been a common saying that SimCity suffers from a giant problem: Too small maps. The rest of the crap can be lived with, or dealt with otherwise, but the small maps are a deal breaker for many. Meanwhile, EA keep spewing DLC, making the limited space all the more contested by each release. In the end, the noise about the tiny maps are a defining characteristic with the game.

Then, they release bigger maps. Fans, starved for anything bigger than the tennis court we've been dealt, happily squee and start talking positively about the game again. This might spark a second wave of purchases, making the game relevant once again.

Or, more likely, they've painted themselves into a corner with GlassBox, and bugs will become really apparent if the maps are made any bigger. If the agent cap isn't raised, you'll get to a point where the city looks less crowded the higher the population is, because the limited number of sims are spread across a bigger area.

This is the thing the only people who know why we were given the map size we have are Maxis..  It would just be nice for people to realize that, but yeah where you talk about Glassbox is probably why, but we don't know.. Look at some of the problems still had if sims are too far away from anything they complain about not being close to it.  Is why when building a city you have to pepper commercial through out the city, makes it hard if you want to have a large centralized commercial area..

Will wait and see..

- Multi-layer transport

What?

Does this mean we will get to build transportation in link skyscrappers together with sky roads?

If this gives me the futuristic building sets and advancements like Simcity 2000 (Sega Saturn) did, I might cave and buy it.

That means I'll have spent ~$90 (I got the digital deluxe upgrade for $4), If I buy the expansion pack.

• I spent $100 on Simcity 4 thanks to me buying 3 copies of the game (I cracked the disc for the first copy, bought a second copy, then the Steam copy to play disc free)
  • I spent ~$80 on Simcity 1 thanks to the PC and Wii versions (I will spend money to upgrade to the Wii U version if it ever sees the light of day)

I am actually enjoying the game, but i find this expansion very ironic.

it is a futuristic expansion for cities of tomorrow. The irony is they can't even get the present right, for example subways/recycling....

and now they want to do futuristic cities....

I am sure the modders would know best, but this struck me about the map size. As power struggles to cover the map as it stands (for example) with long streets such idiosyncrasies would become increasingly apparent, leading to what would appear to be a bugfest.

As a result I doubt very much that bigger maps will feature in this DLC. Oh, I also noticed that for some reason DLC is a "forbidden" name for a region (I tried to call one "I hate DLC" and it starred out the DLC bit).

Back on topic - this has little interest to me at $30, most likely translated to £30. Good luck to those who buy it.

- Multi-layer transport

What?

I am actually enjoying the game, but i find this expansion very ironic.

it is a futuristic expansion for cities of tomorrow. The irony is they can't even get the present right, for example subways/recycling....

and now they want to do futuristic cities....

I have very little issues with recycling.

But Multi-layer transport means we should see some more transportation offfers.

I want monorails, skyways etc...

I could careless about subways due to the fact that no matter how I build them in the previous games, my sims complained about them.

I am happy to have future cities, I hope EA officially unveils it soon (they leaked it by accident).

• Original Poster
  •  

Because it seems all that I ever see is bigger map this bigger map that so much so I am surprised a lot more have not gone insane with the constant going on about it..

From friends/acquaintances, I think many have given up and just left to play other games, or are just not playing for now.  They've decided EA won't fix it, or can't fix it, and they just move on.  Happens with a lot of games.

I am happy to have future cities, I hope EA officially unveils it soon (they leaked it by accident).

Having worked in and with the gaming industry, most "leaks" are not really leaks, but carefully calculated reveals by the PR/marketing people, or by management who are looking to check for interest in certain areas/features.    If all of these "leaks" you see with various games were actual leaks, a lot of people would be losing their jobs.