Sign in to follow this  
Hellken

Industrial Areas

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Japan Steel Works (Nihon Seikousho) in the port city of Muroran, Hokkaido, in 1965.  You can taste the metal filings in the air.

s40nikkou.jpg

Wiki tells us they made the gun barrels for the battleship Yamato.  Nowadays, they are the only manufacturer capable of making weld-less nuclear reactor pressure cores.

Nippon Steel (Nippon Seitetsu) Kimitsu Works in Kimitsu City, Chiba.

800px-Nippon_Steel_Kimitsu_Works.jpg

Wiki tells us they are the world's second largest producer of steel by volume.  I recall back in the 1980s that Japan was admittedly recognized by the U.S. and many other nations to be most efficient producer of steel, and so if another nation was exporting steel at a lower price than the Japanese, that nation was quickly suspected of committing unfair trade practices through economic dumping.  I think it is called the 1978 Steel Trigger Price Mechanism in the U.S., with Japanese steel prices originally being the trigger prices.  At the time, they were leading the world's steel exports, while the U.S. had become a net importer of steel, and the turn to the Rust Belt and Stagflation was underway.  I would not be surprised if today mainland China was now the largest volumetric producer and consumer of steel.

Nippon Steel's Nagoya Works in Nagoya, Aichi.  Ooooo....Aaaaah!

visit_ph01.jpg

20100401111237_2.jpg

a0177616_21485174.jpg

Pokémon Monorail Train running before Kawasaki Industrial Area by ykanazawa on Flickr.

3503673953_28acfbe0c6_b.jpg

The mighty Keihin Industrial Zone (Keihin Kogyou Chitai), Japan's earliest industrial park, stretching between urban Tokyo and the port of Yokohama.  We are looking at Kawasaki in Hellken's opening post video.

This is the skyline of an industrial powerhouse that may have lost the war, but, just might have actually won the peace...

yun_10752.jpg

Actually, it's all just Godzilla fodder...he'll definitely make a beeline for those storage tanks like a bear to a honey pot.

yun_10751.jpg

Yokkaichi Petrochemical Complexes by Nobythai on Flickr

8019476167_16a79e56b4_c.jpg

Yokkaichi City in Mie near Nagoya boasts Japan's first petrochemical refinery, the 1956 Daichi Petrochemical Complex converted from an old navy refinery for the Showa Oil Co., which has since grown into a sprawling Borg pipe-tangle for today's Showa Shell.  Now that Japan has again shut down the last of its remaining nuclear power plants in the wake of the Fukushima disaster, they will be even more desperately reliant on Middle East oil imports.  Wiki tells us Yokkaichi and its petrochemical air pollution became infamous for "Yokkaichi Asthma" in the 1960s and 1970s.

I don't know why, but I find so much beauty among all the dirt, decay and pollution shown in these pictures.

This is the perfect thread to show a pic I have in my cell phone. 

imag0922.jpg

One of my favourite places in the German capital city, Rummelsburg maintenance station on the east side. On this area, also a power plant, a cement plant and a truckload of rust can be found. I find it specially beautiful when all the place is covered in snow.