Sign in to follow this  
Alex_1210

Help on my terrain mod

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have recently installed CP's Italian terrain mod, and it looks great.....with some exceptions
I was wondering if i could tweak the files to create my own terrain mod, based off of his.
Can anyone tell me how to do it? Which files i need to change? What program i need to use?

If i understood correctly, the terrain mod was made with CP's No3 and No4 terrain textures, so using those textures could i create my own mod by adjusting which texture to appear at what elevation etc?

Here is a screen shot of the Italian terrain mod in action:

muw4.jpg

I want the use of the yellow dandelion texture and dry grass to increase, here is an edited image in Photoshop of how it would look, ideally, 

sfap.jpg

Here are some extra images:

Less of this
And more of this
Extra image

More of this dry grass at higher elevations

Textures i want to use and their ideal range
Preferred textures and disliked textures

Another picture of the dry grass texture which is so rarely used

Last one

Well, I am not an expert on Terrain Modding but I did fool around making my own mod during the last week to try and get familiar with the tools involved. Yes, you can modify CP's work but by the time you did that, you could have created your own mod like I did. Ask CP if he minds you using his textures and make sure you give him credit if you do. I used the 8 Maxis default textures and altered them to create this sort of mod: https://sites.google.com/site/runamuckshooch/what-s-new

You will need iLive's Reader Program to extract and re-insert the FSH Files from the Terrain Mod or Texture Dat files, one of the FSH Tools to extract and re-insert the PNGs or BMPs from the FSH files and a Graphics Program to alter the textures.

With that being said, I don't think you can do all that you want to do. You should be able to get rid of the bedrock showing through here and there by altering your map so those areas have a shallower slope. But, placing patches of certain terrain, spanning several levels of altitude, may not be possible unless you can pull off some miracle with the Exemplar File.

Each Terrain Mod, I believe, has an Exemplar File that defines the characteristics of the terrain by levels of altitude and each level is assigned a particular texture among other things. When looking at some maps it may appear that certain textures do reach farther than others but your brain is tricked into seeing a sort of illusion because of the various levels in slope here and there. Think of it like a USGS Terrain Map where the various levels of altitude are irregular in shape due the differences in slope at any given point.

Well, I hope this makes sense, this is what I learned last week by tinkering around with Terrain Mods. If you manage to pull of something with the Exemplar file, let me know! And, if any other modders out there find something wrong with my thinking please let us both know, I am still in Learning Mode here!

Runamuck

I've seen a variable regarding max slope and cliffs, but I can't remember exactly what it was called (it was in one of Mallow's rendering elevation mods).

Playing with region.ini water levels could shift terrain at different elevations (or force it all to be the same), but that might only affect the region view and/or empty city-sectors. I've searched for but haven't found clear tech info on those, but lowering the numbers seems to have made my latest region more arid.

Let me know if anyone figures out how to mod terrain to put "real" water at a level above sea level (i.e. fill a lake with translucent, sparkling, level, bridgeable water that is navigable for sail boats, fishing boats and (in large lakes) ferries.

I've seen a variable regarding max slope and cliffs, but I can't remember exactly what it was called (it was in one of Mallow's rendering elevation mods).

Playing with region.ini water levels could shift terrain at different elevations (or force it all to be the same), but that might only affect the region view and/or empty city-sectors. I've searched for but haven't found clear tech info on those, but lowering the numbers seems to have made my latest region more arid.

Let me know if anyone figures out how to mod terrain to put "real" water at a level above sea level (i.e. fill a lake with translucent, sparkling, level, bridgeable water that is navigable for sail boats, fishing boats and (in large lakes) ferries.

The will create temporary water above sea level, so that you can make bridges.  But it disappears when you leave the city.

And, you'll like this one:  Xannepan created an experimental mod, which, with limitations, does exactly what you want:

JENXposeidon.jpg

It's not easy to use; you should read up on it (and can download it) in this SC4D topic.

That link goes to the image, but I found the discussion. It seems to be a lot-based invocation of a flood disaster that Maxis left turned off. It's difficult to control, but it might be usable if certain rules are followed.

Unfortunately, I can't download attachments from SC4D forums*, and the Poseidon mod does not appear to be on the LEX. Is it accessible anywhere else? If X wanders by this thread, maybe he can attach it here too. I'd like to help debug it (or refine the recipe for using it effectively).

*I am unable to complete the forum registration process and have given up, so my forum access there is read-only with no attachments.

SUSPENSE.jpg

This is not possible . The level  height for texture of water is automatically adjusted if its depth (z) is above the level of the ground texture.

This is what happens with the mod xanepam if used incorrectly causing what you called flood.

The automata maritimes is  always moving in level (z) height of the sea that is set by the tuning terrain parameters  so it is not possible to put them up texture of ground for practical uses. (It is possible to make them appear in special conditions)

BALEIAS+NA+AREIA_DUVIDAa.jpg