Sign in to follow this  
utora2

how to get NAM working?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi everyone, I have a quite complicated question about getting the NAM 31.2 working on my system.

First some explanation of the problem(s):

- I have a legitimate copy of SC4 and SC4 Rush Hour, windows installation CD's. I have played the game for years on my windows pc, and stopped when i bought an iMac. 

Since the new SimCity came out for Mac a week or so ago, I bought it and felt exited about (finally) playing a new version of the game. However, I got extremely disappointed with the gameplay, being forced to be always online, not being able to save games on my own computer or play the game privately etcetera. Anyways, I really wanted my old SC4 back.

I tried to figure out how to play an old windows game like SC4 on a 2011 iMac, and ended up with installing Wineskin.

Since my original install-CD's only work on windows, and inserting the Rush Hour CD is required to start up the game, the only way to start the game on a Mac (through Wineskin) is to use a "No-CD Crack", which I did.

I got the game working, and except some minor graphical issues it ran remarkably well. 

Of course I wanted to patch the game up with all the custom content, mods etc, so one of the essential things, the NAM, had to be installed too.

Here's the problem: I was able to install the NAM from within Wineskin, but when I tried to launch the game nothing happened. I read on the internet that the NAM doesn't install on games with a No-CD crack, so I assume this is the problem. But then again: I was able to install the NAM, but then after that I couldn't launch the game anymore. 

After uninstalling the NAM (again through Wineskin), the game still can't be launched. I have to delete it and re-install it again to get it working again.

Is there a way to get the NAM working in this specific situation? Or are there perhaps other solutions? 

Is there a possibility to manually install the NAM? (without an .exe file, rather copy pasting files into my plugin folder for example?)

Or does this problem require a more radical approach, for example installing windows on my Mac with Boot Camp, or in a virtual machine? (this doesn't solve the No-CD issue: i am forced to use this crack since I can't ever start a game through the simcity.exe file on a Mac...)

Here's the problem: I was able to install the NAM from within Wineskin, but when I tried to launch the game nothing happened. I read on the internet that the NAM doesn't install on games with a No-CD crack, so I assume this is the problem.

The NAM installer doesn't refuse to run in such a situation; it's just that the installer requires the 1.1.638.0 patch, which cannot be installed on a No-CD version of the game.  What's happening with you is something different; it sounds like a problem between the NAM installer and Wineskin.  We really don't have experience running these two programs together.

But then again: I was able to install the NAM, but then after that I couldn't launch the game anymore. 

After uninstalling the NAM (again through Wineskin), the game still can't be launched. I have to delete it and re-install it again to get it working again.

As a member of the NAM Team, I have no idea why any of this should be happening.

Is there a way to get the NAM working in this specific situation? Or are there perhaps other solutions?

It's hard to say.  Starting with NAM 31, the NAM Team no longer formally supports the Mac.  The support issues simply became too overwhelming, and none of the NAM Team has a Mac to work with.

Is there a possibility to manually install the NAM? (without an .exe file, rather copy pasting files into my plugin folder for example?)

Yes; various programs can extract the NAM files from the installer.  However, you would be on your own figuring out which files need to be installed and where.  Much better would be to run the NAM installer on a PC, and then copy the resulting folder hierarchies to your Mac.

Or does this problem require a more radical approach, for example installing windows on my Mac with Boot Camp, or in a virtual machine? (this doesn't solve the No-CD issue: i am forced to use this crack since I can't ever start a game through the simcity.exe file on a Mac...)

This would actually be your best approach.  In such a situation, I don't see any reason why you couldn't run the executable under Boot Camp or a virtual machine.

• Original Poster
  •  

Here's the problem: I was able to install the NAM from within Wineskin, but when I tried to launch the game nothing happened. I read on the internet that the NAM doesn't install on games with a No-CD crack, so I assume this is the problem.

The NAM installer doesn't refuse to run in such a situation; it's just that the installer requires the 1.1.638.0 patch, which cannot be installed on a No-CD version of the game.  What's happening with you is something different; it sounds like a problem between the NAM installer and Wineskin.  We really don't have experience running these two programs together. 

Hm, I installed the 1.1.638.0 patch prior to instaling the NAM. I also installed the 1.1.640.0 patch (through Wineskin). After that I launched the game through the Wineskin wrapper to check if everything ran ok. It did. After that I installed the NAM; during installation it said that I hadn't the 640 patch installed but that it didn't specifically require that patch in order to work, so I continued installation. No errors or whatsoever. 

You could be right, I'm not sure (I'm not that familiar with install-issues and fancy workarounds like this one). Wineskin is a program that let's you install windows applications on a Mac, and lets you run those applications through a 'wrapper', some sort of port to the game. You start up the wineskin wrapper (in this case named: SimCity 4 RH) and the game launches.

There's a number of settings you can change and tweak, for example the resolution, the number of CPU cores used (game crashes on multi core computers), skip the intro et.

I got all this through these instructions found on the net:  

http://www.reddit.com/r/simcity/related/1ato1a/i_wrote_a_guide_to_run_simcity_4_deluxe_on_mac_os/

Yes; various programs can extract the NAM files from the installer.  However, you would be on your own figuring out which files need to be installed and where.  Much better would be to run the NAM installer on a PC, and then copy the resulting folder hierarchies to your Mac.

This would actually be your best approach.  In such a situation, I don't see any reason why you couldn't run the executable under Boot Camp or a virtual machine.

I could run the installer through Wineskin, just as before. After that I look up the installed files in My Documents folder and copy them from there. (after that I have to do the installation all over again because of the launch-problem described earlier, but it doesn't take that much time). 

I'll give it another try, and find the files manually. If that doesn't work I might still install Windows.

A little background on this: until recently Mac users could use windows applications through a program called Rosetta, but since the latest OS update Mountain Lion that program isn't supported anymore, so that's why this is a problem.

But can there be another explanation for this crash? (supposed that it isn't caused by Wineskin/NAM running together), a corrupted file within the NAm-package for example?

Here on Simtrop it says that the NAM is currently offsite?

I might also try to install an earlier version if these are still available somewhere.

The last time I used the NAM (and played the game regularly) it had version 7 or 8 :), so it's been a while..

Have you looked at wine  Latest beta (1.7.1 claims several mac fixes).  I am running 1.6 on Linux.  Looking at the Google search for wineskin, it looks like you have to be very careful to get the real version.  There appears to be some kind of interference from some site with doh in the name.  I don't think Bart Simpson is a software type.

A little background on this: until recently Mac users could use windows applications through a program called Rosetta, but since the latest OS update Mountain Lion that program isn't supported anymore, so that's why this is a problem.

Yes, this is probably the biggest source of problems with running the NAM (and SC4 itself) directly on the Mac, and is a central reason why we can't support the NAM on the Mac anymore.

But can there be another explanation for this crash? (supposed that it isn't caused by Wineskin/NAM running together), a corrupted file within the NAm-package for example?

The NAM package itself has no corrupted files.  But occasionally, the package gets corrupted during the download process.  Downloading the package again can fix this.

Here on Simtrop it says that the NAM is currently offsite?

This was done because of the huge size of the current NAM, and because there were a lot of corrupted download issues.

I might also try to install an earlier version if these are still available somewhere.

Earlier versions of the NAM are no longer supported, nor available on the standard download sites.

• Original Poster
  • Have you looked at wine  Latest beta (1.7.1 claims several mac fixes).  I am running 1.6 on Linux.  Looking at the Google search for wineskin, it looks like you have to be very careful to get the real version.  There appears to be some kind of interference from some site with doh in the name.  I don't think Bart Simpson is a software type.

I got my version from here: http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php?page=Downloads

Wineskin doesn't seem to be corrupted, I have version 1.7.1, it's working fine. The issues don't come from a fake version :) 

• Original Poster
  • @ z1: thanks for the explanation; I think the issue comes from what you mentioned earlier: that wineskin doesn't work well with the NAM. I think this comes from the fact that it has to work within the wineskin shell. The executable file does its thing, but somewhere along the way it asks me permission to tweak some setting (which I have to give administrator permission for, which wasn't asked during installing btw) and maybe things went wrong there. 

Furthermore, when using wineskin I can't change the default install path the software is being installed to. (c:\program files\simcity 4) because of the different operating systems (Mac uses other locations). Strangely enough though, it does recognize the My documents folder (which is called "user\documents" in OSX Mountain Lion) although it names the Windows location of that folder. The NAM was installed there and not within the Wineskin shell. Maybe that's where things went wrong?

Anyway, I installed the NAM, got my game crashed, removed the wineskin wrapper in which the crashed game was installed, copied the NAM files to my desktop and installed the game again from the installation CDs, and then manually placed all the NAM stuff in my Documents folder and now it works fine!

Thanks anyway for the help, I made it work :), I can play the game now and from what I can tell the NAM works fine :) 

I am running on Linux with wine 1.6.  I used to have a problem with the NAM 31.2 installer, but I just added the necessary routines to my wine prefix library.  Using winetricks, you can find them.  wineskin is new as far as I know, and I don't know if it is supported by the wine developers.

You need to add the fancy windows controls for all the dialogue boxes and such.  I'd give you a list but it is far too large for this board.  You'll have to play around adding libraries until the package works.  I have several things working under wine, so you probably don't need everything I have anyway.

If you are not a windows programmer with some O/S experience, I suggest you seek help from someone who is.