ThePilotGuy

Show us your city, road-or transit maps! - 2

1,286 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

Very nice map, Linoa06.

Here is my new transit map for another city. Any suggestions welcome.

Just a minimalist rendition of a my city's subway map.  I finally found the grid!

Gridded_Subway_Map.png

Looking good. What do you think of mine?

I love it!  I like how you use the concentric rings instead of the hub-spoke model.  Very cool

I like your map a lot. I do think it could go to the next level if you standardized the angles on the line to 45 degree increments, getting rid of some of the sweeping curves. It could be done fairly easily, and I think it would then look like a professional, real-world map. IMHO

I agree with mentarman, the angles should all be 90 degrees or 45

I disagree. As long as lines are clean and there are standards in place - for example, spacing between name stations and the stations themselves, station markings, line width, etc - and you do not unnecessarily crowd the map just for the sake of it, I think that angles other than 90/45 and sweeping (or other types for that matter) curves are more than acceptable, especially if they are due to topography or logistical reasons.

For example, if the Express Line runs in dedicated tracks between Central and Bauertown I do not see the need for it to hug the Southern Line in its entirety in the revised map, assuming they are indeed not only dedicated but also running apart in another area of the city, as the first map implies.

If you want strictly my opinion though I will take geography and logistics over hugely distorted graphics anytime. Then again I am a concrete rather than abstract kind of person. This is one of the reasons the NYC subway map (the current one, not Vignelli's) is far and beyond my favourite (even though the subway itself, is far from it), though just the fact that it is somewhat different from other maps helps a lot as well. Obviously some degree of distortion and simplification is still needed but only as much as necessary to make reading easy across the map, and make good use of the available reading space. Anyway, design is highly subjective. Sujectivism aside, the current NYC subway map still gives the information riders need to know well in a clean and easy to read way and that is all that matters.

Here is my next project. 

It took several days and has a few hundred stations. If anyone, who speaks German, could let me know of any spelling or grammatical errors, then that would be great.

*Picture*

Looks awesome! It's a bit weird that everything is in German except for the word 'key', though.

EDIT: Nice that you added the German flag in the key. :D

Edited by Ultimate727  

Here is my next project. 

It took several days and has a few hundred stations. If anyone, who speaks German, could let me know of any spelling or grammatical errors, then that would be great.

*Picture*

Looks awesome! It's a bit weird that everything is in German except for the word 'key', though.

You know, I never noticed that order in the key! Must have been a complete coincide!

As for the translation for "Key" I couldn't think of a word apart from the metal type (der Schlüssel) and thought it wouldn't have been the same word, so used the English. I'm hoping a native speaker could think of one.

The word you're looking for is probably 'Legende' or 'Zeichenerklärung'. (I'm not a native speaker, so I can't check for grammatical errors.)

Here is my next project. 

*Picture*

You know, I never noticed that order in the key! Must have been a complete coincide!

As for the translation for "Key" I couldn't think of a word apart from the metal type (der Schlüssel) and thought it wouldn't have been the same word, so used the English. I'm hoping a native speaker could think of one.

Eeyup, your best bet would to be write Legende.

Either way you can always check real life maps and see what they write.

Amesbury maps! (Link to the CJ here)

The first one is a map of Amery County. It is to scale with both the map I've posted on top of this page and the Shady Strands Cities Skylines map (the area around Amesbury). It's a simple map that zooms in Amery County to show its bigger towns and major road links, and it's more meant as a handy overview. ^_^

Since it's a TES project it's closely related to this map and set in the same universe here (or a few pages ago in this very thread)

mapamery.png

The second map is a city map of Amesbury. In order to showcase as many things as I needed I've also put motorway exits on the map, which may be of interest to some but ultimately isn't very important to the map itself. Bit of fanservice to the road geeks :P Eventually there'll be a PDF version and probably more POIs though, hence the smaller fonts. Bigger link here

Map145.png

Haven't been around too much in the past two years (!) But I still think about sim city from time to time.

Anyways, since I started taking design courses, I thought I'd try my hand at redoing my Altona Transit Maps from the region I used to work on. This time I combined every form of transit in the region into one map. The Ferries, Trams and Buway take the biggest hit on detail, and the normal busses and national rail don't need to be shown on this map. Anyways, I'm really happy with the way this turned out and I wanted to share it somewhere, so why not here!

[iMAGE]

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think!

Wow. I still have a lot to learn. I love the professional look to it, especially in the key. It is very clear and easy to read, and I wish I could do something as good!  :lol:

Wow! 2 great maps here tat perfectly complement your amazing CJ. Lots of wonderful detail! What do you think of my subway map?

Your subway map could use a lot of polishing. It's a big list but don't be discouraged.

• Station Labels : The font is horrible and unappealing. The labels seem to go in all directions, which really does not help readability nor does it look good. In addition they seem to be placed too unevenly from station markers - sometimes way too far, sometimes onto the marker. I think that's the biggest area of improvement.
  • Path Width & Spacing : The river width is especially bad and wobbles after each corner. It's especially telling in the first kink of the Spree Kanal. Sometimes paths are parallel but the distance between different paths changes. I don't mean that sometimes the paths touch each other and sometimes they don't, that's perfectly allright so long it has consistent meaning, but the map would be a lot more streamlined if the distance between parallel paths could be normalized all across it.
  • Colours : While not all maps make a difference between different modes, especially Berlin, it might be advisable to give the secondary network a paler range of colours. Also, bright primary/secondary colours are visually unappealing. Colours need to have a certain unified tone, here the bright pink and yellow don't really fit next to the blue lines. The colour for the river is also far too bright. You want your map to look good, really. Try to find colours that work for the shared trunks, too, since otherwise it's just a rainbow of unreadable lines.
  • Kinks in the lines : I would personally try to design them better - curve them just slightly (easy to do with Inkscape) so they still feel like 45 degree angles but smoother. Junctions with paths could be better too, look at the S-Bahn junction at and above Burkwitz.
  • General Design : The map could use better presentation in general, such as a more appealing title and a well designed legend insert. A logo could also be appreciated here.
  • Information Processing : Many, many things are wrong here. The lines, for starters, are not explained at all. The legend barely helps, as it just gives out the names of each line in very tiny letters. One solution is to label the map better, especially at the end of lines. Another solution is to put the names of the lines in little coloured rectangles so it is easier to understand what line is named what. (Should also drop the Straßenbahnlinie in the labels - it's obvious and not efficient at all). A way to indicate what network the line is part of is to use logos - a red or yellow H in a circle, a U in a blue square, a S in a green circle. Generally you want to streamline the design to give it some professional glance - though there are far far worse actual maps out there. Play on path width too - the bus line could be made into a thinner line to show it's a bus and not a rail line.
  • General Streamlining : Goes with the font and everything - try to give your map a unified look (after all it's part of one network). Many RL networks don't really care about this and their maps feel horrible as a result. Consistency is key in all things.
  • Names : obviously stolen from German maps :P The line names are relatively awkward in the first place - it is far more common to simply number them, but it just doesn't feel very German at all. Also quite pointless to name the legend "Zeichenererklaerung". Legende is the usual term, if it appears at all.
  • Optional : Other labels such as P+R, step-free access, major bus hub, and so on could be appreciated (don't overuse them though. If all of your stations but one are step-free, use a label that specifically denotes the station as not step-free).

That's probably the basics here, it is a daunting list but everyone begins somewhere (and I can't expect everyone to draw subway maps from the age of 4). Inkscape has grids and curved paths and lots of stuff so it's a good powerful free software, though there can be better out there. There are good points to your map too, the river helps with orientation for instance, but it does need heavy reworking. Take a big look at the other maps in this thread as most give a good idea of what to do. You can also visit this website http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/ - it's good good analysis of a lot of maps around the world (usually professional maps) so you can learn quite a few things there.

Also I do suggest keeping off languages you don't really master, but that's just me now. Still, good going :)

Haven't been around too much in the past two years (!) But I still think about sim city from time to time.

Anyways, since I started taking design courses, I thought I'd try my hand at redoing my Altona Transit Maps from the region I used to work on. This time I combined every form of transit in the region into one map. The Ferries, Trams and Buway take the biggest hit on detail, and the normal busses and national rail don't need to be shown on this map. Anyways, I'm really happy with the way this turned out and I wanted to share it somewhere, so why not here!

7IJqEel.jpg

I like this map. Interesting how several lines merge into one and you play with the transparency. Not overly fond of it but at the same time it's done in a professional manner and it does prevent having a massive central array of lines but it remains somewhat confusing, say, about line 7 for instance. My advice is that lines be merged into one only when they end at the same place or when they don't end on the shared section at all really, but it really is a minor problem here and I would suppose people know where the 7 stops through other means. Well I'd hope - there is a tram in my old town and despite the destination and line number shown and spoken everywhere people still manage to be confused as to where trams go. But oh well!

Also, reworked future map of the Amesbury network :D the Blue Line is supposed to be an elevated metro line while the Gold Line is a medium rail (premetro) network - though in effect because of how CSL works it's a full-fledged subway in-game. (I am thinking of either changing it to heavy rail with tunnels or building a mock elevated section - but it doesn't fit the fact that the Wigston part of the line should be in the middle of an avenue, along with eastward expansions). Hoping for trams and tram-to-metro junctions at some point though.

Also posted pictures from WITHIN the subway network along with signage here : https://community.simtropolis.com/journal/5301/entry-26007-entry-13-of-mice-and-metros-5e145/

02a.png

7IJqEel.jpg

This map is awesome.  My jaw literally dropped when I saw this.  You have to let us in on your secrets!

Michae95l: Every map of yours gets better and better.  I'm excited to see what comes next!

Wow! 2 great maps here tat perfectly complement your amazing CJ. Lots of wonderful detail! What do you think of my subway map?

Your subway map could use a lot of polishing. It's a big list but don't be discouraged.

• Station Labels : The font is horrible and unappealing. The labels seem to go in all directions, which really does not help readability nor does it look good. In addition they seem to be placed too unevenly from station markers - sometimes way too far, sometimes onto the marker. I think that's the biggest area of improvement.
  • Path Width & Spacing : The river width is especially bad and wobbles after each corner. It's especially telling in the first kink of the Spree Kanal. Sometimes paths are parallel but the distance between different paths changes. I don't mean that sometimes the paths touch each other and sometimes they don't, that's perfectly allright so long it has consistent meaning, but the map would be a lot more streamlined if the distance between parallel paths could be normalized all across it.
  • Colours : While not all maps make a difference between different modes, especially Berlin, it might be advisable to give the secondary network a paler range of colours. Also, bright primary/secondary colours are visually unappealing. Colours need to have a certain unified tone, here the bright pink and yellow don't really fit next to the blue lines. The colour for the river is also far too bright. You want your map to look good, really. Try to find colours that work for the shared trunks, too, since otherwise it's just a rainbow of unreadable lines.
  • Kinks in the lines : I would personally try to design them better - curve them just slightly (easy to do with Inkscape) so they still feel like 45 degree angles but smoother. Junctions with paths could be better too, look at the S-Bahn junction at and above Burkwitz.
  • General Design : The map could use better presentation in general, such as a more appealing title and a well designed legend insert. A logo could also be appreciated here.
  • Information Processing : Many, many things are wrong here. The lines, for starters, are not explained at all. The legend barely helps, as it just gives out the names of each line in very tiny letters. One solution is to label the map better, especially at the end of lines. Another solution is to put the names of the lines in little coloured rectangles so it is easier to understand what line is named what. (Should also drop the Straßenbahnlinie in the labels - it's obvious and not efficient at all). A way to indicate what network the line is part of is to use logos - a red or yellow H in a circle, a U in a blue square, a S in a green circle. Generally you want to streamline the design to give it some professional glance - though there are far far worse actual maps out there. Play on path width too - the bus line could be made into a thinner line to show it's a bus and not a rail line.
  • General Streamlining : Goes with the font and everything - try to give your map a unified look (after all it's part of one network). Many RL networks don't really care about this and their maps feel horrible as a result. Consistency is key in all things.
  • Names : obviously stolen from German maps :P The line names are relatively awkward in the first place - it is far more common to simply number them, but it just doesn't feel very German at all. Also quite pointless to name the legend "Zeichenererklaerung". Legende is the usual term, if it appears at all.
  • Optional : Other labels such as P+R, step-free access, major bus hub, and so on could be appreciated (don't overuse them though. If all of your stations but one are step-free, use a label that specifically denotes the station as not step-free).

That's probably the basics here, it is a daunting list but everyone begins somewhere (and I can't expect everyone to draw subway maps from the age of 4). Inkscape has grids and curved paths and lots of stuff so it's a good powerful free software, though there can be better out there. There are good points to your map too, the river helps with orientation for instance, but it does need heavy reworking. Take a big look at the other maps in this thread as most give a good idea of what to do. You can also visit this website http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/ - it's good good analysis of a lot of maps around the world (usually professional maps) so you can learn quite a few things there.

Also I do suggest keeping off languages you don't really master, but that's just me now. Still, good going :)

7IJqEel.jpg

I like this map. Interesting how several lines merge into one and you play with the transparency. Not overly fond of it but at the same time it's done in a professional manner and it does prevent having a massive central array of lines but it remains somewhat confusing, say, about line 7 for instance. My advice is that lines be merged into one only when they end at the same place or when they don't end on the shared section at all really, but it really is a minor problem here and I would suppose people know where the 7 stops through other means. Well I'd hope - there is a tram in my old town and despite the destination and line number shown and spoken everywhere people still manage to be confused as to where trams go. But oh well!

Also, reworked future map of the Amesbury network :D the Blue Line is supposed to be an elevated metro line while the Gold Line is a medium rail (premetro) network - though in effect because of how CSL works it's a full-fledged subway in-game. (I am thinking of either changing it to heavy rail with tunnels or building a mock elevated section - but it doesn't fit the fact that the Wigston part of the line should be in the middle of an avenue, along with eastward expansions). Hoping for trams and tram-to-metro junctions at some point though.

Also posted pictures from WITHIN the subway network along with signage here : https://community.simtropolis.com/journal/5301/entry-26007-entry-13-of-mice-and-metros-5e145/

02a.png

I see what you're saying about the S-Bahn Lines... There is a system though. Other than the Grey 10-level lines (which are a systematic anomaly), all lines from the north or with single digit numbers terminate at Central, while all lines from the south with double-digit numbers run through Centraal to Terminate at Northway. So yes it takes some knowledge of the system, but since s-bahn is typically used by commuters, I think it is an acceptable if not ideal solution, especially since this map tries to show two systems on one map.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I always love your maps.

I would imagine it's not so big of an inconvenience, especially for a S-Bahn network and especially as tourists and visitors in this kind of city would probably stick around the city centre or airports or this sort of thing anyway.

Wow! 2 great maps here that perfectly complement your amazing CJ. Lots of wonderful detail! What do you think of my subway map?

Thanks for the feedback. I've been through each point and I think I've improved on all of them.

Station Labels

I've repositioned all labels and used a new font on them.

Path Width

I redrew the entire river system keeping the same path width.

Colours

I changed all the colours on the lines, added a background and changed the label colour.

Kinks

I adjusted most of the kinks, but the one north of "Burkvitz" was intentional, in order to show the direction of the trains, i.e. you can't take a direct service from "Burkvitz" to "Uttstadt Plaza"

General Design

I completely redesigned the key.

Information Processing

I explained the routes and created logos for the lines in the legend. I didn't change network path width, as I feel all networks, tram, underground and urban trains all play a vital part in the network.

General Streamlining

I think all of my changes improve consistency.

Names

I changed the title of the legend in the redesign.

Optional

I added intercity rail icons and park and ride.

After all of these changes, here is the new map!

fwOfFPh.png

Wow! 2 great maps here that perfectly complement your amazing CJ. Lots of wonderful detail! What do you think of my subway map?

Thanks for the feedback. I've been through each point and I think I've improved on all of them.

Station Labels

Path Width

Colours

I changed all the colours on the lines, added a background and changed the label colour.

Kinks

I adjusted most of the kinks, but the one north of "Burkvitz" was intentional, in order to show the direction of the trains, i.e. you can't take a direct service from "Burkvitz" to "Uttstadt Plaza"

General Design

Information Processing

I explained the routes and created logos for the lines in the legend. I didn't change network path width, as I feel all networks, tram, underground and urban trains all play a vital part in the network.

General Streamlining

Names

Optional

fwOfFPh.png

Many things to say that my keyboard will frustrate me in saying but..it is a major improvement,especially for the labels and icons (though honestly the diagonal station labels on both diagonal axis still irk me, and many could be changed :Bundesrat (which would probably not in proper German naming convention be suffixed by Gebäude) could be horizontal, even if it cuts the line. When that happens, draw either a half transparent line of the colour of your background or a full line of the same colour behind the label, leaving some space on top and bottom. Talking of that green line,the two branches really should be the same colour. Oversight maybe?

I would also make the colours of all the U lines far brighter. Since you want them to have the same importance, all lines need to be as bright with the catchier colours assigned to the most used lines, but that implies identifying them better through the use of labels and fixing the U line colours which are far too faded anyway. Try studying the colour schemes of the London Underground or Berlin U-Bahn...and do make all T5 branches the same, or make two lines, one for each branch and colours close to one another.

That way all lines would be shown though identifying key lines. What matters is that key or heavier lines can be found far more easily and the backbone of the network must clearly catch the eye - even just as subtly as using red, green and black for the three most used lines without changing width or overall brightness. There is also some logic beyond hierarchy in highlighting the subway lines - as U lines cost more and can therefore handle far more traffic,far more efficiently it makes them the backbone of the network. While they don't necessarily have to be THAT brighter, the current colours remain dimmer than the T LINES

Other options would be putting all lines of a specific type with the same colour but that would be more confusing here.

Many things could use polishing (but that is true of everything) but it is a better improvement still. Maybe those dashed lines should be legended and not rounded (a thing I hate about my hometown's map is how lines are drawn dashed without explanation), the line labels could have a more readable font (or just bold and centred in their rectangles), also when the rectangles colour gets darker using a white font can help legibility - thinking of the T5 label especially).

Probably a lot more advanced or trickier things,but it's a good start and a wayy more solid map already.

Edited by Linoa06  

Station Labels

Path Width

Colours

Kinks

General Design

Information Processing

General Streamlining

Names

Optional

fwOfFPh.png

Many things to say that my keyboard will frustrate me in saying but..it is a major improvement,especially for the labels and icons (though honestly the diagonal station labels on both diagonal axis still irk me, and many could be changed :Bundesrat (which would probably not in proper German naming convention be suffixed by Gebäude) could be horizontal, even if it cuts the line. When that happens, draw either a half transparent line of the colour of your background or a full line of the same colour behind the label, leaving some space on top and bottom. Talking of that green line,the two branches really should be the same colour. Oversight maybe?

I would also make the colours of all the U lines far brighter. Since you want them to have the same importance, all lines need to be as bright with the catchier colours assigned to the most used lines, but that implies identifying them better through the use of labels and fixing the U line colours which are far too faded anyway. Try studying the colour schemes of the London Underground or Berlin U-Bahn...and do make all T5 branches the same, or make two lines, one for each branch and colours close to one another.

That way all lines would be shown though identifying key lines. What matters is that key or heavier lines can be found far more easily and the backbone of the network must clearly catch the eye - even just as subtly as using red, green and black for the three most used lines without changing width or overall brightness. There is also some logic beyond hierarchy in highlighting the subway lines - as U lines cost more and can therefore handle far more traffic,far more efficiently it makes them the backbone of the network. While they don't necessarily have to be THAT brighter, the current colours remain dimmer than the T LINES

Other options would be putting all lines of a specific type with the same colour but that would be more confusing here.

Many things could use polishing (but that is true of everything) but it is a better improvement still. Maybe those dashed lines should be legended and not rounded (a thing I hate about my hometown's map is how lines are drawn dashed without explanation), the line labels could have a more readable font (or just bold and centred in their rectangles), also when the rectangles colour gets darker using a white font can help legibility - thinking of the T5 label especially).

Probably a lot more advanced or trickier things,but it's a good start and a wayy more solid map already.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to incorporate it into my next map, as I think this one is too complex in some ways permanently fix. Thanks for all your points and suggestions I will definitely take them into account for my next map. 

Well... This is my very first subway map... :D

It's the subway network of Vistalegre, capital of New Iberia, which was featured in my CJ. It has 11 lines and 202 stations as in 2015.

2cx9i0x.jpg

Great work. Very good for a first map! Did you you Inkscape?

One thing Inwould change is your zoning. Try to have zone 1 as the super central section, rather than the majority of the map. Put it this way, lines should not end in zone 1. 

Keep up the great work! 

Ópera, Parque de las Naciones, the circle line, the airport at the east side, the dark blue line going north-south...

I see somebody took some inspiration from Madrid! ;) Great job!

Thanks!! ;)

At first, I took some inspiration on Buenos Aires subway layout for lines 1, 2 and 3 (running originally from the centre to west, northwest and southwest; then extended to the eastern bank of the river after the '30s), but as new lines were built and existing ones were expanded, it turned out to look more like Madrid subway network.

For the map presentation I was inspired both on Madrid and Paris subway systems (I live in Paris now, and I have to use Metro a lot). Line colours are more like in Madrid's, but the font I used (Frutiger) is closer of the one used in Paris than the one used in Madrid (Helvetica, I think).

For station names I picked many from subway systems of Spanish-speaking countries (Madrid, Buenos Aires, México DF, Santiago) changing a bit their names. That was definitely the hardest part of this work: naming 202 stations of which I had in mind only a handful of names for some of them.

Edited by SC4L0ver