Sign in to follow this  
sirdanilot

CTD upon startup after installing Airport Mods

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Firstly, some disclaimers.

Yes, I have read the CTD thread.

Yes, I have read the readmes.

Yes, I have tried deleting the file sthat I recently installed.

No, I do not think anything has changed to my windows 7 recently.

Good. Yesterday, I tried to install the following mods: The Airport Tram, the Airport Support File, SWAP 2.2 and X-ports airports and seaports. My intention was to put the airport tram lot (a 1x1 lot that simulates a maxis airport) at the edge of my city near a highway, then later build an eyecandy airport on an adjacent city tile.

I build the airport tram lot, but noticed I got a brown box. I closed the game, ran the cleanitol file and installed a whole load of prop packs which where missing. Then I reloaded the game to see if it was working, but I get a CTD when the game starts up !

This also means I cannot delete the corrupt airport tram lot...

I tried deleting all the airport mod files from my plugins folder, but I still cannot start up my city. Other cities without the corrupted lot work fine.

I have read that the airport mods tend to cause CTDs with more people, so I think my question is not a 'stupid' one. This is the first time I have installed any airport related mods though (never bothered with airports, even Maxis airports, first).

What do? Thanks in advance !

If you have the NAM  installed, you should select "Custom Installation", and then under "Stations, Ports, and Network Transitions" you should set "Maxis Airports" to "Low Capacity Airports (Maxis)".

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I just did that, but apparently something went wrong as my SC4 just doesn't start up at all now.

That might ave to do with the fact that I had to patch my SC4 first to reinstall the NAM with the setting you said (nightlight and update 1 updates).

• Original Poster
  • Okay in some complicated way I atleast got the game to run again, but I still have the problem that the city with the corrupt lot doesn't start (the other cities do). The nam update seems to have been succesful, but no luck getting the airport lot thing to run.

Is there any way to 'externally' remove the corrupt lot, or something?

It's a very big city in which I put a lot of time, I wouldn't want it to be ruined because of this !

EDIT: My SimCity4.exe is version .638, and not version .640 as one would expect if the BAT Nightlights would work. I cannot get it to that version; it doesn't give any error but it simply doesn't update the file for some reason. But that's another problem, I'd like the main problem (my corrupt city not starting) to be solved first...

Well, if you have a pre-crash backup of the city, you can just replace the corrupted file.  However, if not then you will need to think hard about how you intent to rescue your city, which is probably not possible.  Does it show as a blank area on your region map?

• Original Poster
  • ... yep, it's a blank area. EDIT: Though it does show the damn airport icon where I put the corrupted lot, and also the amount of inhabitants and stuff like that. My cities tend to show up blank in the region viewer more often, by the way.

So that basically means I lost my city? I haven't made a back-up... is there any chance of there being an autosave of some sort?

Only if you are using the Windows auto-backup features.  If you had them turned on, you might be able to back up the journal.

Your problem was probably caused by the usual impatience of some users who don't wait for saves to finish completely before switching away from the game.  Verily, I say unto you speaking ex-cathedra from my navel, that taking focus away from this game during a save before the completion of the process may well cause the loss of the region snapshot and has a good chance of corrupting the save as well.

Backups are really necessary, and I do one automatically every Thursday morning, and others when I want to feel ultra safe.  On this system, once it is established, only newly written files (deltas) are backed up, and others simply remain available on previous backups as needed.  I've kind of lost touch with Windows since I've been running Linux now since 2007, so I don't know what is in there since XP.

EDIT: My SimCity4.exe is version .638, and not version .640 as one would expect if the BAT Nightlights would work. I cannot get it to that version; it doesn't give any error but it simply doesn't update the file for some reason. But that's another problem, I'd like the main problem (my corrupt city not starting) to be solved first...

So that basically means I lost my city?

Not necessarily.  The fact that your game won't update properly may indicate a game malfunction, which could account for almost anything.  I'd recommend reinstalling your game from scratch, and get it to the point where the 640 update works.  Then try your city.

I haven't made a back-up.

Well, Moose beat me to it here this time.  Let me just emphasize what he said:  Please, people, make backups!  It's not a question of if you're going to lose your data someday, it's a question of when.  Whether it's due to human error, program error, or hardware failure, that day will come.  The only question is when that day comes, will your data be backed up or not?  You should notice that both Moose and I have many decades of professional software experience between us, and we're saying the exact same thing here.

There are many free backup solutions available.  Macrium Reflect is one of the best; I use the Pro version, but the free version should be fine for most people.  It just runs once a day and backs up everything.  I also have another backup program running in the background that backs up all changed files from heavily used folders every ten minutes, and keeps the last twenty versions (Vice Versa Pro).  I highly recommend that program too, though there are free programs that can do much the same thing.

This discussion has made me a little jumpy so I just started a new total archive into my backup partition.  Compresses everything as a .tar.gz so it take a little while.

• Original Poster
  • Alright, I will try to completely reinstall my game once more, but I am pretty sure (and have accepted the sad, very sad fact...) that I lost my city, as it's the only one that isn't working, and I blame the airport mod for it. It's showing the airport icon (the airport tram counts as an airport) in the region view, yet the city tile in the region view is completely blank. The other cities are working properly.

I will look into how back-ups work some more as this time it's just a city, but next time it might be my bachelor thesis or something. ;) You are right in that backing up should be done by more people. It's just a bit hard to find the best way to back-up automatically if you're not that tech savvy.

• Original Poster
  • Okay I reinstalled but I still cannot patch. This is the patchlog.

----- Processing Patch File -----

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'DELUXE.exe'

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'RUSHHOUR.exe'

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_1.dat'

Writing New File    

Verifying - Passed!

Deleting Old File

----- Patch File Processing Complete -----

-----------------------------------------------------

-        Results of Application of Patch File       -

File Patches Applied ......................... (   1)

Files Modified .................. (   1)

Files Renamed. .................. (   0)

Files Added ..................... (   0)

Files Deleted ................... (   0)

Temporary Files Processed........ (   0)

File Patches Skipped: New Files Up-To-Date.... (   0)

File Patches Ignored: Old Files Missing....... (   0)

Old Files Invalid....... (   2)

Total File Patches Processed ................. (   3)

• Original Poster
  • Might it be that it's pointing to an incorrect folder? My exe file is MOST CERTAINLY named simcity 4.exe (with the space).

I put the patch in my Apps folder, yet now it says that 'old file not found'. What gives?

EDIT:

It is still talking about deluxe.exe, which strikes me as very odd as my executable is definitely simcity 4.exe

----- Processing Patch File -----

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'DELUXE.exe'

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'Graphics Rules.sgr'

New Version of File 'Graphics Rules.sgr' already exists.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'RUSHHOUR.exe'

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_1.dat'

warning wpt0036: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was

found. No update done since file contents do not match.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_2.dat'

New Version of File 'SimCity_2.dat' already exists.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_3.dat'

New Version of File 'SimCity_3.dat' already exists.

Applying MODIFY File Patch for 'SimCity_4.dat'

New Version of File 'SimCity_4.dat' already exists.

----- Patch File Processing Complete -----

-        Results of Application of Patch File       -

File Patches Applied ......................... (   0)

Files Modified .................. (   0)

Files Renamed. .................. (   0)

Files Added ..................... (   0)

Files Deleted ................... (   0)

Temporary Files Processed........ (   0)

File Patches Skipped: New Files Up-To-Date.... (   4)

File Patches Ignored: Old Files Missing....... (   0)

Old Files Invalid....... (   3)

Total File Patches Processed ................. (   7)

I put the patch in my Apps folder, yet now it says that 'old file not found'. What gives?

The most common cause for this is that you are using a cracked version of the executable. Again, where did you get your game?

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I got it to work somehow ! Perhaps I wasn't using the right patch or something. It is now version .638. I am not sure if I even dare to install the BAT nightlights (which should make it .640) at this point, perhaps at some later point, and definitely after I backup the entire thing.

And with the patching, my broken city works ! I immediately removed the corrupt airport tram lot. It might work at some point, but I'll back up first before I try it again.

Thanks for all your help anyway, this is great, absolutely great ! It was the biggest city in my region and I was really sad that I had lost it.