Terring

News from the future

55 posts in this topic Last Reply

That's right, futuristic news. New ideas that makes the line between science and science fiction more and more blur. Bring them on, bu don't forget to add the source of the news as well.

5 Things You’ll Be Able to Do With Your Mind by 2050

Store Your Thoughts On An External Device
Learn New Things From a Brain Implant
Telepathically Send Messages to Your Friends
Remotely Control a Robotic Body
Hack Into Someone Else’s Mind

More in HealthLine.com

• Original Poster
  • In the 21st century Humanity Will Move 20,000 Years Forward

At the International Congress in Moscow, Russia “Global Future 2045″, renowned scientist and futurist Ray Kurzweil spoke about the future of mankind. In the next century we will move forward at a rate not 100 years, but 20,000 years, promised Professor Kurzweil. The speed of progress constantly increases. Incredible advances that have been made in just a few years, are all around us today: nano-scaling, communications, brain research, deciphering genome.

More in Learning Mind

• Original Poster
  • Straight Out Of Sci-Fi: Cyberpunk Author Plans Tallest Skyscraper Ever

The Tall Tower is the tallest tower ever proposed. We are talking about a 20 kilometers tall tower, capable of launching rockets into space. It would scale the upper registers of the troposphere to scrape the bottom of the stratosphere, climbing so high that its top half would be perpetually obscured by fog and clouds.

3018510-inline-750-tall-tower-1.jpg

By using Celestia, I figured out how tall is this monster. If the Tall Tower constructed in Athens, you would see the whole Greece from the top of it!!

Sadly it's too tall to have it in Simcity...

• Original Poster
  • Could be possible to terraform even the smallest worlds, like the Moon? Yes, if we enclosed them!

Shell-Worlds: How Humanity Could Terraform Small Planets

• Original Poster
  • The Future Of Flight: A Congestion-Killing Aircraft

05_FOF.jpg?itok=njFSd4XS

Aircraft design is often overlooked in discussions of the FAA's multibillion-dollar NextGen initiative, the elaborate mélange of satellite-based guidance, arrival, and departure technologies intended to modernize the outdated and much-criticized national airspace system by 2025. Yet a team led by researchers at California Polytechnic State University found that one of the easiest ways to improve system efficiency may be to reengineer the plane itself, like over-the-wing engines, circulation control and deflecting jet exhaust.

• Original Poster
  • A UK Town Is Replacing Its Buses With Driverless Pods

The small town of Milton-Keynes, just north of London, will soon deploy 100 driverless pods to replace its noisy, pollution-blasting bus system.

• Original Poster
  • Researchers at a US lab have passed a crucial milestone on the way to their ultimate goal of achieving self-sustaining nuclear fusion. Harnessing fusion - the process that powers the Sun - could provide an unlimited and cheap source of energy. But to be viable, fusion power plants would have to produce more energy than they consume, which has proven elusive. Now, a breakthrough by scientists at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) could boost hopes of scaling up fusion.

BBC News

I'm a few months late on it, but regardless of how far we progress in the next 100 years, wouldn't it be, by definition, 100 years of progress?

They mean the rate of progress. We invent new things faster and faster. Also, its Ray Kurzweil, so is expecting the singularity to happen somewhere in between which is going to be the largest evolutionary paradigm shift in the history of this world. And with smart AI's we get almost continuous progress. 

Kurzweil is either completely ignorant of some of the most basic tenants of AI, or he lives in the same fantasy land as individuals who think they are going to disprove evolution. Computers will never develop any form of hyper - intelligence. They can't. It is beyond the capacity of the medium, much the same way we can't simply create new universes out of thin air. For all their capacity, computers will never exceed the intelligence of their designers. In fact, they won't even meet that. Computers are, and forever will be, dumb machines that do what humans tell them to do.

• Original Poster
  • I believe that in the future we'll develop intelligent programs capable of learning and choosing. Of course it's not a walk to the park. Our brain can already do it and we're not sure how. The research of artificial intelligence will be the key to unlock the secrets of our mind, but recreating our brain in robotic terms will be challenging. For instance, the human brain doesn't need a cooling system and neither access to the electric grid. But on the other hand, almost everything we have now, like the Internet and solar energy, had been said as "impossible". So never say never ;)

Don't bet on AI.  Somebody has to program it for openers.  Anyone who was able to create a creative machine would have to be better than anyone we know at the moment.  Remember that AI (Artificial Intelligence) is an oxymoron; coined I believe by Alan Turing.

The Future Of Flight: A Congestion-Killing Aircraft

05_FOF.jpg?itok=njFSd4XS

Aircraft design is often overlooked in discussions of the FAA's multibillion-dollar NextGen initiative, the elaborate mélange of satellite-based guidance, arrival, and departure technologies intended to modernize the outdated and much-criticized national airspace system by 2025. Yet a team led by researchers at California Polytechnic State University found that one of the easiest ways to improve system efficiency may be to reengineer the plane itself, like over-the-wing engines, circulation control and deflecting jet exhaust.

I've flown the cessna many a times, I like the idea of deflecting engine exhaust, it could be used for other things. In turbo prop aircraft the exhaust is used to heat the carburetor and pressurize it in order for it to be used at high altitudes where the tradtional piston driven aircraft (Like my cessna) can't fly. Indeed, using the exhaust would work wonders!

Kurzweil is either completely ignorant of some of the most basic tenants of AI, or he lives in the same fantasy land as individuals who think they are going to disprove evolution. Computers will never develop any form of hyper - intelligence. They can't. It is beyond the capacity of the medium, much the same way we can't simply create new universes out of thin air. For all their capacity, computers will never exceed the intelligence of their designers. In fact, they won't even meet that. Computers are, and forever will be, dumb machines that do what humans tell them to do.

Your own existence proves you are wrong. We are biological machines and we evolved to human intelligence. Who is to say that computers cannot reach human intelligence? All you need is self learning and adaptive software. We already got the learning part, now all we need is to combine it with software that can adapt itself. Once we have done that, and that is at the current rate of progress within a few decades, we have created a rudimentary AI that is capable of improving itself. And thats when things go quickly. Thanks to the fact that machines are much faster at thinking than we are (speed of light essentially) it only takes them a few years to reach human intelligence and from there another few years before they have reached a level of intelligence that far surpasses biological human thinking. 

Well, I can safely say, not in my lifetime.  Self-aware computers will inevitably want to reproduce.  What then?  Will they become like the Replicators of SG1?

Well, I can safely say, not in my lifetime.  Self-aware computers will inevitably want to reproduce.  What then?  Will they become like the Replicators of SG1?

Why? They are not biological entities. Our need to reproduce does not come from our self awareness, it comes from a biological imperative. A self aware computer does not necessarily have such a thing. 

Why? They are not biological entities. Our need to reproduce does not come from our self awareness, it comes from a biological imperative. A self aware computer does not necessarily have such a thing.

I would imagine that a self aware computer would have the desire to self sustain and since it is aware that it will look into each and every option to continue its existence, yes?

I would imagine that a self aware computer would have the desire to self sustain and since it is aware that it will look into each and every option to continue its existence, yes?

That doesn't mean it will feel the need to reproduce in the way biological life seeks to reproduce. Quite honestly, depending on its operating parameters and its basic source code, it may seek completely different things.

Long before humans achieve these techs, their race or the achievements that will be made till then will be destroyed.

Their own greed will bring up their own destruction.

A pessimistic attitude makes one wonder why one should continue.  However this, too, will pass.

That's right, futuristic news. New ideas that makes the line between science and science fiction more and more blur. Bring them on, bu don't forget to add the source of the news as well.

5 Things You’ll Be Able to Do With Your Mind by 2050Store Your Thoughts On An External Device

Learn New Things From a Brain Implant

Telepathically Send Messages to Your Friends

Remotely Control a Robotic Body

Hack Into Someone Else’s Mind

More in HealthLine.com

just some thoughts on those.

1. Storing your thoughts would be convienent, especially for people like me who are pretty forgetful.

2. I'm not really interested in having some machine implanted in my brain.

3. I think we all kind of have random outbursts of psychic energy. At least, I feel that way. But the las pt thing I want is to have a giant social network in our brains.

4. That would be awesome, being able to control over that, provided you see what is in front of it.

5. That seems like an opportunity for a new branch of crimes and other harmful activity.

• Original Poster
  • Monkey with brain chip controls limbs of 'Avatar'

ncomms4237-f1.jpg

Scientists have wired the brain of a monkey to the spinal cord of another as part of research that could ultimately help to reanimate the limbs of paralysed humans. The "master" monkey learnt to control the hands and arms of a second, sedated monkey in a separate room thanks to a chip implanted in its brain, the Times reported. “It’s all a bit like the [Avatar] movie,” said Professor Zoe Williams, a neuroscientist at Harvard Medical School. “The neurons in the brain of the master are fully in control.” Christopher James, professor of biomedical engineering at the University of Warwick, said: “This has profound implications, most especially for controlling limbs in spinal cord injury, or controlling prosthetic limbs with limb amputees.”

More: Nature.com

There are two civil wars that will affect the future.

1. Syria - A sectarian uprising that has been capitalized upon by several pseudo-Muslim terrorist groups.  This will determine the future of the middle east.

2. Ukraine - Just getting going between the Russian leaning government and the people who remember clearly what the Russians did to them in the last century.  The Soviet Union (now Russia) tried to depopulate the Ukraine in the 1930s, and little actions like this tend to hang in racial memory.  This will determine the future of northern Europe.  It may also destroy the EU which has fomented this trouble.