Sign in to follow this  
nhgriffith

Fresh reinstall of SC4. Help me with addons real quick...

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm about to do a fresh reinstall of SC4.  It's been uninstalled for quite some time.  I have no SC4 stuff on my computer at all.

Can someone help me understand exactly what I need to do in order to install the following addons/mods/maps/etc.  I'm looking for a complete idiot's guide to getting this stuff all working.  

First off, I've eyed a map that I want to work on for my project.  It's this one:

I'm not sure what all I need to do in order to get this map in my game.  Can someone help?

Next, as far as mods go, here's what I'm interested in getting...

NAM.  For sure.  I think I can figure out getting NAM installed.  I've done it once before and remember it being pretty easy.  But I'm curious... did they pack a lot of extra stuff in the new NAM?  Like, does NAM come with SAM, or do I have to download and install that separately?  Does NAM come with NWM or do I have to download and install that separately?  Does NAM come with RHW, or do I have to download and install that separately?

SPAM.  I think this one should be easy to install as well.  However, I heard that there is a SPAM traffic control that conflicts with NAM.  Can I install SPAM to get the cooler, enhanced farmlands and such without installing the SPAM traffic controller that conflicts with NAM?

IRM.  This mod looks really good.  I don't know much about it but it seems relatively popular.

As I play I will slowly add more add-ons.  These are just the ones I wanted to start with for now.

> NAM "monolith installer" includes all the extras...RHW, NWM, the works.

> Just delete the SPAM's traffic controller.

> Nothing to worry about with the IRM when starting a fresh region.  It changes the lot sizes of buildings, so you cannot use it in already-built cities.

And remember, if you forget any dependencies...you will regret this.  

00141833.0001.png

• Original Poster
  • Okay, starting from the top...

Does NAM have any dependencies?

I see the SPAM has MTP Super Pack listed as a dependency, so that should be easy enough to go get and install.  However...what exactly are these super packs?  Do these prop packs actually add anything for me, the end-user, in the game?  Or do they just provide textures and stuff to make SPAM work properly?

The packs provide props and textures that are used for other buildings/lots.  They do not add anything you can use directly in-game.  You can personally make use of their contents with the Lot Editor and other modding tools.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks.

Also, I just downloaded SPAM.  I don't see the traffic controller in there at all.  Is it a separate download that I can just avoid, or is it installed somewhere if I just now downloaded and installed SPAM?

WRT your map.  This is by Drunkapple and the download contains full rendering instructions.  You will need either SC4Mapper or SC4Terraformer (external programs).  From the content, it may also be possible to render this from the gray-scale .jpg directly using the game renderer.

NAM has no dependencies and a very comprehensive installer.  It can be rerun as needed.

SPAM is best picked up from the Pegasus Site (free registration).  There are links to all the dependencies included in the download pages.  The obsolete controller is a separate download.  Skip it.

IRM?  Never heard of it by that reference.  I hate acronyms, there are too many of them.  Be careful who you listen to.

Thanks.

Also, I just downloaded SPAM.  I don't see the traffic controller in there at all.  Is it a separate download that I can just avoid, or is it installed somewhere if I just now downloaded and installed SPAM?

Wait, don't download the SPAM traffic simulator, it's incompatible with the NAM. :read:;)

• Original Poster
  • Right.  I'm not.  I was looking in the SPAM folder I already installed for the traffic control so I could delete it.

IRM?  Never heard of it by that reference.  I hate acronyms, there are too many of them.  Be careful who you listen to.

6376 downloads. Nowhere near as popular as the NAM, but still, looks like a pretty cool mod.

Yeah, I call the IRM an essential mod, as long as you are not running the CAM.  The CAM cancels out the IRM, I got it to work once upon a time with the CAM installed but I consider that a fluke, an accident, an anomaly.  The only other good thing to have in it's place is paeng's industrial makeover, that actually has all kinds of goodies that go along with to make it look better too, like the grunge alley mod which will then allow for industrial MMPs to be used on them to make a very busy looking industrial area.  I go with the IRM still though, but I still got the grunge alley mod.

One last note about the IRM.  It lists North Country Dude's railyard textures as a dependency.  You will actually NEED all three of his railyard texture packs for the IRM to display properly in game, not just the one listed in the dependency list.

IRM = Industrial Revolution Mod.   Main feature is to separate the I-D/I-M jobs to "low density" zoning, and I-HT (couple I-M lots too) to the high density zoning. Basically makes it easier to control what Industrial jobs will grow where, and reduces the bulldozing needed to achieve similar results. 

It also spruces up the Industrial areas as well with some Add-On content. Because of this, it's best to install IRM when starting a new region or it'll break your already existing industrial areas and then will have to be rebuilt anyways. 

I also agree that it's better to have than not when it comes to the IRM.

OK, I have it.  Damned acronyms.  When I installed that, I started over by deleting my Regions, installed it, and re-rendered some new/old regions.  Since I only have two or three regions on the go at any one time, it was no big deal.

Major mods like terrain mods and tree controllers and things like this essentially mean a restart of the regions.

And before anyone yells about their precious cities, let me point out that this is only a game.

• Original Poster
  • Yea, so far I've only been doing a few start up test cities to get some practice with NAM and check out all the SPAM features, and make sure everything is working, so restarting a city is fine... I haven't really started anything yet.

However, I do have an issue...

After installing the mods discussed here, I noticed that I seem to missing a prop for a default Maxis building now.  It's only the "2 Story House".  I believe it's low density medium wealth.  Anywhere I have these lots, it's just an empty lot with no building in it.  What could the issue be?

One of two things: Your graphics settings in the game have been reset (applying patches does that);  Since you don't have a brown paper package tied up with string, you are not missing any dependencies but I would make sure you have BldgProps_Vol1, and BldgProps_Vol2 which contain all the Maxis buildings as props.  These can be had for SC4Devotion on the Lot Editor download page.

• Original Poster
  • Okay.  I'll go get these.

Thanks for all the help, by the way, and thanks for being patient with me.  I know these are pretty basic nooby beginner questions.

Anyway, since I've been in and messing with NAM a little bit, trying out different things, I do like the look of sunken highways for really dense urban areas.  But I need some decoration lots to go with this.  Can someone suggest to me a download for some sidewalls for sunken highways?  Also, maybe a download for more plaza-type decoration lots to go in a few various places on the sides of the highway's ditch.  Whether they give a plaza effect or a park effect doesn't matter (would like some of both because some areas may be residential, others commercial), but I want the look to be somewhat similar to the original Maxis plazas, or maybe just something that matches whatever downloads are available for the walls.