Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Teens and Pot

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

Youthful pot use may lead to bad things for adults.

'In adolescence, the brain is still fine-tuning how different areas, such as learning and memory, interact and it appears that marijuana use alters that process.

"When you disrupt this, actually, development, during adolescence, notably through cannabis use, you can have very pervasive, very negative effects in the long-term, including on mental health and addiction risk,"'

See article for gory details.

Ya like becoming the leader of a national political party or the mayor of a big city. :rofl:

In all honesty, kids need to be educated about the effects of pot rather than outright discouraged from using it. They are taught the downsides of alcohol and tobacco, so why not pot?

• Original Poster
  • That's a good point, but the article is cautionary at the very least.  Teens think they are invulnerable and immortal.  They find out the truth much later when they grow up.

I'd be more concerned about pot-related lifestyle habits like laziness than the actual substance itself, considering that plenty of people have smoked tobbacco or drank for much of their lives and didn't become szichophrenic or develop mental illness from it. The habits and customs of a person, however, may well be negatively influenced by the behaviour potsmoking induces such as laying about rather than thinking constructively. 

Having said that in this world there is such an overpopulation and so much battle over limited resources that I wouldn't care less if the surplus got high rather than fought over them. Those who don't wish to advance themselves could do worse, like get into gangs and hard drugs. 

I've never smoked myself because I had asthma when I was young and because it doesn't do anything for me. My cousin in Brighton who smokes pot spends all day watching films and his former girlfriend won't let him see their daughter because of his addiction. 

I'd be more concerned about pot-related lifestyle habits like laziness than the actual substance itself, considering that plenty of people have smoked tobbacco or drank for much of their lives and didn't become szichophrenic or develop mental illness from it. The habits and customs of a person, however, may well be negatively influenced by the behaviour potsmoking induces such as laying about rather than thinking constructively. 

Having said that in this world there is such an overpopulation and so much battle over limited resources that I wouldn't care less if the surplus got high rather than fought over them. Those who don't wish to advance themselves could do worse, like get into gangs and hard drugs. 

I've never smoked myself because I had asthma when I was young and because it doesn't do anything for me. My cousin in Brighton who smokes pot spends all day watching films and his former girlfriend won't let him see their daughter because of his addiction. 

I have several friends who smoke or smoked pot and not a single one of them turned into lazy couch potatoes. 

Obviously its not healthy, but that's nothing new. But pot does not cause people to turn into couch potatoes in the same way that drinking alcohol doesn't cause you to start slapping your wife around. 

• Original Poster
  • Alcohol, in sufficient dose, releases inhibitions.  If slapping your wife around is in your psyche, the alcohol will help you fulfil this.  Appropriate time in a corrections facility will probably follow.

Smoking tobacco is an addition to nicotine.  This can be satisfied in other ways than wrecking your lungs.  Choose from patches or inhalers.

Pot smoking has been practised in the middle east and far east for millennia.  Some overcome the temptation of the water pipe and excel, others just suck their lives away.  It is evident that susceptible individuals do become couch potatoes, but that is hopefully, a minority of persons subject to addiction.  Let's legalize it and tax it just enough to kill the black market.

They don't call it a "mind altering substance" for nothing.

I'd say teens and marijuana don't mix on account of lack of maturity besides any health issues. Adults... meh, do as you please. But then there's still that pesky issue of potentially going to jail if you get caught and having your life wrecked due to legal consequences rather than health consequences. For this reason I do not approve of use in jurisdictions that haven't decriminalized it.

Still teens would abuse it a lot less if it was legal, but on the same restrictions as booze or alcohol. The age limit for these varies where you live (19 here) so pot should be here too and not for teens.

Of course many of them will abuse this rule, but not as many as with a full ban on it.

I got lucky.  My friends started in their early teens.  I did not start until I was 19.  I look at them now and most of them are in pretty bad places.  Whats a difference a couple years makes.  I do not hang out with most of them anymore, many of them are too convoluted, some are just downright incoherent.  I think the biggest difference is they never took the time to learn the truth about pot when they were younger and never had an opportunity to get a clear mind, so as time went on they would just believe anything anyone told them about pot.  "It is not addictive" "Everyone does it." yada yada yada, they really believe that and with all their heart.  It is kinda sad really, so many wasted lives.  I still smoke too, nearly 16 years later.  I like to take breaks from it though to get my mind clear, got to make sure I am still in control of myself from time to time.  Still, with all my precautions, even when I go without for over a year, everyday I crave it, to me it is the most addictive drug int he world.  I quit drinking at age 23 and I barely even think about it, but it is not like that with weed, I think about pot constantly even when my system is thoroughly clean, now that is a powerful addiction quality there.  If I decided to quit forever, 10 years later I would probably still think about it and crave it.  It is for these reasons I do not want kids to be smoking herb. If it was up to me, I would push the age up to 21, just like with alcohol, I would do this based on my experiences with people who got into t it way too early.

I would rather kids are educated and know for a fact everything there is to know about it before they even try it.  It is only fair.  Once they try it a few times talking them into believing the truth will be nearly impossible.  We got to keep it out of the kids' hands because of that.

I got lucky.  My friends started in their early teens.  I did not start until I was 19.  I look at them now and most of them are in pretty bad places.  Whats a difference a couple years makes.  I do not hang out with most of them anymore, many of them are too convoluted, some are just downright incoherent.  I think the biggest difference is they never took the time to learn the truth about pot when they were younger and never had an opportunity to get a clear mind, so as time went on they would just believe anything anyone told them about pot.  "It is not addictive" "Everyone does it." yada yada yada, they really believe that and with all their heart.  It is kinda sad really, so many wasted lives.  I still smoke too, nearly 16 years later.  I like to take breaks from it though to get my mind clear, got to make sure I am still in control of myself from time to time.  Still, with all my precautions, even when I go without for over a year, everyday I crave it, to me it is the most addictive drug int he world.  I quit drinking at age 23 and I barely even think about it, but it is not like that with weed, I think about pot constantly even when my system is thoroughly clean, now that is a powerful addiction quality there.  If I decided to quit forever, 10 years later I would probably still think about it and crave it.  It is for these reasons I do not want kids to be smoking herb. If it was up to me, I would push the age up to 21, just like with alcohol, I would do this based on my experiences with people who got into t it way too early.

I would rather kids are educated and know for a fact everything there is to know about it before they even try it.  It is only fair.  Once they try it a few times talking them into believing the truth will be nearly impossible.  We got to keep it out of the kids' hands because of that.

I constantly think about playing video games and delicious meals. I think that it is a psychological addiction.

I'm sure pot is harmful to your brain development when you're an adolescent. But as an adult... not nearly so much. The only thing it hurts by the time you're my age is your wallet. Though I don't smoke, I have plenty of friends who do or did. $20/gram. 

'In adolescence, the brain is still fine-tuning how different areas, such as learning and memory, interact and it appears that marijuana use alters that process.

"When you disrupt this, actually, development, during adolescence, notably through cannabis use, you can have very pervasive, very negative effects in the long-term, including on mental health and addiction risk,"'

See article for gory details.

Well I am screwed. :P

What I want to know is the frequency of consumption.

I'm sure pot is harmful to your brain development when you're an adolescent. But as an adult... not nearly so much. The only thing it hurts by the time you're my age is your wallet. Though I don't smoke, I have plenty of friends who do or did. $20/gram. 

When you consider that a packet of cigarettes can cost around the same price, or a 6 pack of beer, it's all expensive.

It doesn't matter if pot is legal or not, the use will not change. Addicts will keep on using it, legal or not. More so, if you try to ban pot, teens are still going to try it because it's "daring" and "thrilling" to get some of this illegal stuff, which may even increase the use instead of decreasing it.

Teenagers like to experiment, see how far they can go, their "rebel"-phase of development. This can lead to consequences they can't imagine yet. Not only with drug use (which includes drinking), but also other physical stunts and such...

Fortunately, it seems that I've built in an aversion against any drug. Smoking stinks a lot to me, so I won't even try to start with it (this has probably to do with a smoke-free nurturing environment) and alcohol tastes very unpleasant to me (this may have to do with me being picky with food and drink taste, which affected me since I was very young). Therefore, drug addiction seems to be very unlikely. The only two addictions I may have (partially) is my PC addiction (because all the stuff outside study that go well I can do with my PC, it's my creative platform) and listening and collecting music (nothing wrong with that ;) ). But these two "addictions" have so far not suppressed other, more important activities, since my study is still going very well, considering I start my MSc-degree on monday. And although I don't drink, I'm still doing funny stuff when I'm completely sober...

"I don't have to drink to act drunk."

-- MandelSoft

;)

It doesn't matter if pot is legal or not, the use will not change. Addicts will keep on using it, legal or not. More so, if you try to ban pot, teens are still going to try it because it's "daring" and "thrilling" to get some of this illegal stuff, which may even increase the use instead of decreasing it.

Teenagers like to experiment, see how far they can go, their "rebel"-phase of development. This can lead to consequences they can't imagine yet. Not only with drug use (which includes drinking), but also other physical stunts and such...

Fortunately, it seems that I've built in an aversion against any drug. Smoking stinks a lot to me, so I won't even try to start with it (this has probably to do with a smoke-free nurturing environment) and alcohol tastes very unpleasant to me (this may have to do with me being picky with food and drink taste, which affected me since I was very young). Therefore, drug addiction seems to be very unlikely. The only two addictions I may have (partially) is my PC addiction (because all the stuff outside study that go well I can do with my PC, it's my creative platform) and listening and collecting music (nothing wrong with that ;) ). But these two "addictions" have so far not suppressed other, more important activities, since my study is still going very well, considering I start my MSc-degree on monday. And although I don't drink, I'm still doing funny stuff when I'm completely sober...

"I don't have to drink to act drunk."

-- MandelSoft

;)

I wasn't raised around smokers and yet I smoke cigarettes occasionally (yep yep I know it's bad and I should quit/cut back)

I used to be a bit silly and drink more than I should have. But as I grew up a bit more and all that, my intake has slowed. I now only drink with a meal (never exceeding two drinks), and the idea of clubs where people get sloshed and someone always passes out has really lost it's appeal on me. I think as Maarten said, a lot of it is just experimentation and kids trying to push the boundaries. Most of them will grow up and come back to rational society.

Anyway, people can get psychologically addicted to just about anything. If it feels good, people will do it more and more, often to the point where it interferes with other activities.

Also these things vary between individuals. I think education is certainly the key here, and also changing the society and culture which surrounds these acts. Pretty much anything can be abused. I could shoot water out of a canon at someone and knock them off a cliff. Water and the great outdoors. The new evil menace.

But also I think considering that so many things are 'unhealthy' (sugar etc) which we consume plenty of... Sunlight causes cancer apparently. I dunno. Seems to me that anyone with common sense is just going to carry on doing whatever works for them regardless of apparent health risks or technicalities regarding the law. People won't stop cycling on footpaths, so why would they stop smoking?

Having said that I'm sure that if humanity could invent a better thing to replace beer cigarettes television etc we would employ it. Humans aren't stupid, they're prisoners in a world of boredom and suffering.

• Original Poster
  • I've never been attracted to pot.  It just wasn't much around when I was a teen.  I first encountered it in use when I was working in a university, but never partook.  The scene was as dreary as an opium den.

I like some alcoholic products.  I often have a glass of wine with a meal when the circumstances warrant.  I also like an occasional planter's punch made by the islands formula: one of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak - fresh lime juice, simple syrup, good medium rum, water.  This is a triple, so one generally nurses one for an afternoon. 

I also like an ounce of Fra Angelico in my coffee instead of sugar.  Since I like hazelnut flavoured coffee anyway, this stuff enhances the nutty flavour.  The alcohol in this usually evaporates in the coffee maker before I drink it.  I also enjoy an occasional pony glass of the drink of Clan MacKinnon, and I have some nice ripe strawberries in the fridge right now, but I am out of Grand Marnier, so I will have to do something else inventive with them.

I have never smoked.  All you get is empty pockets and a heap of ashes.  Nicotine is a really active poison.

I never started smoking because nobody I knew did (I knew very few people, hence my weirdness). I like ale best although lager is cheaper so I don't have much of a choice. Wine is meh. I only tried cannabis once and did everything my cousin told me to, but it didn't do anything for me. My mother did the same with cannabis, and she smoked two packets of cigarettes. My grandmother smoked one packet. My grandfather smoked until my mother asked to have one when she was little. MY other grandfather I am uncertain about. My grandfather on my father's side likes VB, my other likes Guinness. I like both.

One thing I never got into was video games. Aside from Simcity they bore me. They aren't real battles and empires, so what's the point? Might as well shoot yourself.

When you consider that a packet of cigarettes can cost around the same price, or a 6 pack of beer, it's all expensive.

You have some expensive cigarettes and beer, then! Going rate for a pack of cigarettes in New York is $11 but in most states it's more like $5 (lower taxes). A 6 pack of cheap beer in New York is also about $10, less in most of the rest of the US.

Keep in mind this is Aussie dollars. Things tend to be more expensive here (as well as minimum wage being 16 dollars per hour).

But due to the heavy anti-smoking campaigns we have here, cigarettes are heavily taxed. We implemented plain packaging laws too.

I think a big problem with pot and teens is the exposure in movies as well. It should be legalised/decriminalised so it's not so daring either. In movies sometimes it is portrayed as a really good thing (I'm not saying it doesn't have benefits but...) and it will make you feel good. The only affects I see of smoking pot/cigarettes is various ailments and empty wallets. I'm only 14 but I am certainly not planning to smoke or do drugs until I am of a same age (if at all). 

I was only paid five dollars an hour at the only paid job I ever found. 

Comparing pot to alcohol is difficult because alcohol consumption is dependent on ones ability to consume it. There's only so much you can drink, but smoking doesn't add to your stomach/liver's contents, so you can infinitely smoke.

• Original Poster
  • Only until you pass out.  Much brain damage by that time.  Also, THC gets stored in fatty tissue and you can later have a trip even though you haven't smoked in weeks.  Usually happens according to Murphy's Law.

Keep in mind this is Aussie dollars.

1 AUD = 0.92 USD. Not a huge difference.

You are right, though... the cost of living in Australia is higher than in the US. Actually, most developed countries have a higher cost of living than the US, simply because our currency is weak against theirs.