Sign in to follow this  
Xr3iracer

University Woe

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello! I have been struggling to get people to attend my university even tho I have no other education buildings in my city! I have 3 dorms plus 2 upgrades ( law and science)! Around 2900 students out of 3800 attend daily but why do they not all attend? I need 3000 students to attend for the next upgrade but even with good traffic, bus stop and streetcar next to uni it still won't make a difference!

To make it more annoying i have a nuclear power plant next to it and education is only 3 hats but tech level is maxed!

Any help guys would b great!!!

While we're on this topic, do any of you have many people commuting from other cities to your city with university in it? I cant seem to get them to commute.

• Original Poster
  • While we're on this topic, do any of you have many people commuting from other cities to your city with university in it? I cant seem to get them to commute.

No I have been having the same problem in all my cities! I have had high school students travel to other cities!

My uni jus upgraded but I still have 700 unenrolled students grrrrrrr!!!!

Not sure, do you have any traffic issues preventing the students from getting to class? I would think that since there are multiple sessions per day that it wouldn't be a problem.

I have had pretty good luck with universities, but have had trouble getting enough students in them to go to the final level. In one city I placed a second uni because the way the city was set up I was having a little traffic issue and I had some space for it, so I placed it and was able to get back to 95-100% educated.

Maybe you should lower your tuition. It could just be that they cant afford to go to your college without student loans. College is getting very expensive these days, and the sims in simcity are not smart enough to get scholarships since they don't have the same teacher every day. That's what happens when all your teachers and students go to the closest available school each day. They are never at the same one for long, so they don't have structured lesson plans.

-- End Sarcasm--

Traffic was the main issue for me when i built universities. If you have a bus system in your city, place some stops around the university and in the residential areas. It helped more students attend for me. If you haven't started a bus system yet, and you choose to place the bus depot near the universality. It counts as a bus stop and more people like it over normal bus stops. I generally put a bus depot near the center of the city then have all the important buildings around the depot.

• Original Poster
  • I have buses and streetcars! Traffic is probably a little heavy, but there are many routes they can take to the university! Gonna play around with my road layout later n see what happens!!!

Speaking of Universities. I tried plopping a NEW university in a city after Update 7, and TWICE the game crashed. Granted, I did try and plop it in the same location of the same town (with the same results) and I have yet to try it elsewhere.

Just a heads-up

• Original Poster
  • Speaking of Universities. I tried plopping a NEW university in a city after Update 7, and TWICE the game crashed. Granted, I did try and plop it in the same location of the same town (with the same results) and I have yet to try it elsewhere.

Just a heads-up

Cheers for the warning! I haven't had this problem but always handy to know!

It seems like hardly anybody comes for the midday or afternoon classes. There is a massive rush of students for the morning classes and then nothing. Horribly unrealistic and breaks the university.

• Original Poster
  • So shall I jus plop a high school to educated the last few hundred students??

It seems like hardly anybody comes for the midday or afternoon classes. There is a massive rush of students for the morning classes and then nothing. Horribly unrealistic and breaks the university.

Definatly! A uni student attending the morning class would never happen loool!!! Too hungover lol

Definatly! A uni student attending the morning class would never happen loool!!! Too hungover lol

So shall I jus plop a high school to educated the last few hundred students??

Got that right! In my time in college, I have yet to see anyone take an 8 or 9 AM class unless that was absolutely the only option available. I also think I've noticed a situation where a ton of students heading to the university disappear by around 7AM and turn into workers instead.

EDIT: I think there is a bug where students are disappearing from the city entirely. Setting up schools with buses has not increased enrollment numbers at all. I have a city with less than 50% enrollment and dropping steadily.

I have the same problem, while my city had a community college, no problem I had 100% enrollement every day, as soon as I changed my college for a university i began to have fluctuating enrollement.

It's never the same number from one day to the other even with a stable population. The only thing that holds true every day is that I don't have 100% attendance no matter what. It even seems to be decreasing.

I then decided to add a high school thinking that some students maybe couldn't go to uni due to traffic even though I don't have much of it and a lot of pulic transportation. It helped stop the lowering of the education and teck level (yeah shouldn't have anything to do with that one and still ...)but did nothing for the attendance.

So I watched the day for 3 ingame days with yhe education filter on and that's when it becomes even more weird: at the end of the day I have 0 unenrolled agent on my map (the purple ones)  and still the game insists I don't have 100% attendance  ...

The trick to upgrading university really fast.

plopping down 3 dorms in one university will allow you to reach lvl 3 pretty quickly even with 30000 population.

what I normally do now, is to plop another university in the same city and add 3 more dorms to this one.

Now you should get to lvl 5 within one Game day or 2.

The last one requires a third university with 3 more dorms to lvl 6.

BEWARE: Upgrade the main university you want to keep. The other universities you plop down will also let you upgrade, but they normally don't work after once or twice. It doesnt really matter because you want to bulldoze them after your final upgrade of your main one. the additional universities do add to your student count in your main university. each dorm gives you 500 students for free.

i can get a fully upgraded university in no time, but you do need $$$$ to build those universities and dorms.

• Original Poster
  • The trick to upgrading university really fast.

plopping down 3 dorms in one university will allow you to reach lvl 3 pretty quickly even with 30000 population.

what I normally do now, is to plop another university in the same city and add 3 more dorms to this one.

Now you should get to lvl 5 within one Game day or 2.

The last one requires a third university with 3 more dorms to lvl 6.

BEWARE: Upgrade the main university you want to keep. The other universities you plop down will also let you upgrade, but they normally don't work after once or twice. It doesnt really matter because you want to bulldoze them after your final upgrade of your main one. the additional universities do add to your student count in your main university. each dorm gives you 500 students for free.

i can get a fully upgraded university in no time, but you do need $$$$ to build those universities and dorms.

Very good idea! Must b costly buy I suppose it's a short term lose! I'm gonna try this!

it works. actually  u can slightly cheat too. if you choose to upgrade your extra university, sometimes it confuses the game and the university gets upgraded twice. so for example if you have 2 lvl 4 university where one is your main one and the other is the extra one. When it reaches the number of students for upgrade, if you upgrade both your universities, you automatically reach lvl 6. just bulldoze both and build a new lvl 6 university. of course if you have money to do so!