Sign in to follow this  
Omehenk

Tree controllers?

25 posts in this topic Last Reply

• Original Poster
  • With that controller i have the same problem, trees only 'grow' only grow on this lighter spots.

4bj5c.jpg

4bjal.jpg

4bjfY.jpg

You're playing with perfectly flat land.  Most custom tree controllers use the slope of land to guide tree placement.  In short, tree mods will work on perfectly flat land.  You have two choices:  Maxis trees, or bumpier ground.

It's also good to have open fields, since as Nonny mentioned too many trees will slow down the game.  Especially if you play with shadow settings turned up.

• Original Poster
  • You're playing with perfectly flat land.  Most custom tree controllers use the slope of land to guide tree placement.  In short, tree mods will work on perfectly flat land.  You have two choices:  Maxis trees, or bumpier ground.

It's also good to have open fields, since as Nonny mentioned too many trees will slow down the game.  Especially if you play with shadow settings turned up.

This must be it, thanks everyone. And no real lag problems here.

And the dependency thing is because i didn't download any dependencies because i just wanted to check if it had the same problem.

But now lets get back to the original question, would be especially nice if there was a tree controller that also can fill up the flat land:)

The Pacific Northwest Tree controller also plants tree's on flat ground and will also plant different trees at different elevations.  I believe it is made by Lowkee.

• Original Poster
  • I am using the MTP tree mod, however out of fashion it may be.  It plants trees anywhere.

You mean this one ? It looks good but not really suitable for sea levels at warmer areas with only pines.

@Droric

That's my favorite tree controller actually, but it doesn't plant much trees at sea level.

I am using the MTP tree mod, however out of fashion it may be.  It plants trees anywhere.

You mean this one ? It looks good but not really suitable for sea levels at warmer areas with only pines.

@Droric

That's my favorite tree controller actually, but it doesn't plant much trees at sea level.

If you look at the B.C. boreal forest coastline you'll find plenty of pines.  I also have lots of mmp trees if needed.

The Pacific Northwest Tree controller also plants tree's on flat ground and will also plant different trees at different elevations.  I believe it is made by Lowkee.

This is correct. The PNW tree controller fills flat land. Here is an example from a perfectly flat default sandbox terrain:

TreePacking_zpsa6be36c2.jpg

I chose this example, because this image still contains default Maxis trees in the upper part, before I switched to the PNW controller, which is seen in the lower part. You can see that the packing is about the same.

And this would be at sea level:

TreePacking2_zps22509714.jpg

Pretty good packing, actually.

TreePacking3_zps29638bd7.jpg

With that controller i have the same problem, trees only 'grow' only grow on this lighter spots.

To fill flat land with AERDEN you need to ensure you have the Coast-Extended Controller installed in your plugins folder.

You can use the controllers interchangeably, but you can't have two in your plugins folder at once - so you can only have the Coast controller in your plugins, but it is possible to switch that out for the Inland or River controller if you are switching to different elevations, and still keep the trees you have placed with the Coast controller

Be careful.  You don't want a lot of trees because they enter the simulation.  Eats your processor.

Doesn't slow my game down at all and I use a lot of trees, but then again, I'm able to run the game with my triple core processor and have minimal CTDs.

Be careful.  You don't want a lot of trees because they enter the simulation.  Eats your processor.

Doesn't slow my game down at all and I use a lot of trees, but then again, I'm able to run the game with my triple core processor and have minimal CTDs.

If you haven't already, you might want to assign SC4 to utilize a single core and you might not experience any CTDs. The OS will make use of the other two while the one is dedicated to SC4.

Since I use a launcher (which you can too), I'm not quite sure of the correct procedure to add the command line to the SC4's exe. file, but there are plenty of players around here that do. Just give them a minute, but it shouldn't be too long.

If you haven't already, you might want to assign SC4 to utilize a single core and you might not experience any CTDs. The OS will make use of the other two while the one is dedicated to SC4.

Since I use a launcher (which you can too), I'm not quite sure of the correct procedure to add the command line to the SC4's exe. file, but there are plenty of players around here that do. Just give them a minute, but it shouldn't be too long.

Naw, I'm not going to futz around with that because quite frankly, the game is superfast with three cores instead of one.  And the CTDs are few and far between, maybe once every five sessions or so [and these are 12-15 hour playing sessions].  That and it doesn't bother me as it does everyone else it seems.

the game is superfast with three cores instead of one

I'm not one to argue with a man that has their reasons, but there is a science why SC4 doesn't even access anymore than a single core at a time. Now I'm not the techy around here, but like I said, they'll be plenty here willing to dispense the information against using multiple cores with SC4. I'll allow them to explain it much better than I could ever. 

But hey, if you're comfortable with it, I'm comfortable with it.  :thumb:

They can explain all they want, but I know what I experience and all the mumbo jumbo in the world isn't going to change that fact.  I had a conversation about this with Nonny about a year or so ago and I have the code to switch the other cores off for SC4, but after playing the game on three cores, it crashed less and less to the point it's no different than playing it on one core, actually better.  Anyways, thanks for your offer of assistance and help :thumb: and it's time of this derailment of the thread topic is shut down. :yes: 

I fell for that business about using only one core, but lately I've taken that out.  I get a CTD every half-hour or so, but if you do saves before that, the garbage collect seems to prevent it.  Playing incrementally between internal saves works fine for me and my dual core machine.  I've actually been able to monitor the game and have seen the CPU usage rise above 50% which means it is using both cores.

Because of this, I now get bigger cities that don't lag so much on processor availability.

I have a feeling that the frequent CTDs are somehow involved in the dispatch algorithm of the O/S and the failure of SC4 to garbage collect unless you do a save.  The no garbage collect probably results in the branch to zero or dereferencing of zero pointers that are usually the cause of the CTDs.  Some combination of variables, probably beyond control of the developers is likely the culprit, including the much faster current CPUs.  Train your left hand to hit CTRL+s relatively frequently.  Fast disks these days make the saves pretty quick.

• Original Poster
  • If you have a terrain mod other than Lowkee33's Appalachian Terrain Mod, you need to install this patch to get the seasonal effects.

(P.S. Am I on-topic? D:)

Yes and you seem to be the only one:P

Think ill just use pnw controller for now, Aerden has far too many dependencies and dependencies of dependencies for my liking and the mmp controller is just pines. Normal trees i have more than enough, especially like simfox's trees.

i'm using blunder's PNW tree controller. it CTDs even though i've installed it to a vanilla installation (no other plugins except for LK's applachian mod, which co-exists with PNW tree mod) of SC4 deluxe with the official EA patch.

every time i try to place trees on the edge of a city (i.e. the tree brush circle extends over the boundary of the city tile) in god mode, it crashes.

i've set the -CPUcount:2 and it works flawlessly (so far i haven't had any CTDs after 5 hours of gameplay, so i assume that these two plugins work perfectly.) i think 3 CPUs may affect SC4. however, i see (as far as tree controllers is concerned (keeping to the topic :P )) that 2 CPUs is perfect. i guess one then goes to render the graphics and display while the other processes the game engine.