Sign in to follow this  
19citypug

Does this game use a lot of bandwidth per hour

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am thinking about getting this game as I am a big fan of simcity and I need to know does this game use a lot of bandwidth I have limited internet so I need to know before I get it.

That and 1st post:)

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the reply and the only time I can update it is when I go somewhere with unlimited wifi and thats once a week so I think I will do just fine I mean as long as it does not use like 50mb,s per hour it will be okay.

It sounds as though you're planning on using a laptop to play? You won't be pleased with the graphics if that's the case

Depends on the laptop, my 2 year old laptop plays it just fine with graphics maxed out (though I generally play with them on medium and screenshot with max).  Granted this is an i7 laptop with NvIdia video card, but even 2 years old it plays SimCity just fine and without heating issues (some other games do cause overheat issues).

As for the internet, I play on 3G with a 5gig limit per month and it does not make enough of a dent in my limit for me to worry excessively about it.

You could measure the game's bandwidth using BitMeter OS. This handy lightweight tool records all network traffic (upload or download). It runs in the background and viewable using your web browser, where usage alerts can be set. Specifically there's a timer function which allows usage to be monitored for a set time -- such as when playing the game.

There's a simulated demo page here to try out.

Oh not everyone has unlimited bandwidth like San Francisco?  Good one EA.

I don't know how it's done in the United States or North America in genreal, but in Europe most of the Internet providers gives unlimited internet, tv and phone for something like 30-40€ which is 40-50$.

And in New Zealand, we have monthly data caps. 50GB is probably the most common at the moment for about NZ$50, but there was a time (not that long ago) when it was more like $100 for 20GB...

Last night I had internet problems on my PC so I used my mobile phone as an AP to play.

After 4 hours play my mobile reported that 90 MB data was transferred between my PC and internet. Since I had no other PC background applications running that might access internet, I think this 90 MB/4 hours is all by SC.

No this game does NOT use a lot of bandwidth at all! I checked.

1kk.gif

As you can see, right now the game is running and it is only sending/receiving 1,745 B/sec of data. That's almost nothing actually. Its maximum data throughput I've noticed is only during loads and switching to and from cities in regions, and that was only 99 kB/sec max, which immediately went away once you got into the city itself. It only mostly communicates with the server to get region data statistics I think, of which are simulated on their servers and my best guess is sent to us in small *.xml type files to our game. So there! Surprising isn't it? :)

3c3.gif

Btw if you're wondering WHERE Simcity sends and receives it data from (where its physical servers are located), I tried to check them too, here.

54.228.234.193 is Amazon Data Services Ltd in Ireland, where the game is saved, for my particular server (Asia 2). 

159.153.98.92 is Electronic Arts in California, US, where the simulation takes place I assume.

23.21.196.250 is Amazon Technologies in Virginia, US, for Origin accounts information logon.

So there! Technically you could even run Simcity off a 3G connection I think.

Cheers.

• Original Poster
  • No this game does NOT use a lot of bandwidth at all! I checked.

1kk.gif

As you can see, right now the game is running and it is only sending/receiving 1,745 B/sec of data. That's almost nothing actually. Its maximum data throughput I've noticed is only during loads and switching to and from cities in regions, and that was only 99 kB/sec max, which immediately went away once you got into the city itself. It only mostly communicates with the server to get region data statistics I think, of which are simulated on their servers and my best guess is sent to us in small *.xml type files to our game. So there! Surprising isn't it? :)

3c3.gif

Btw if you're wondering WHERE Simcity sends and receives it data from (where its physical servers are located), I tried to check them too, here.

54.228.234.193 is Amazon Data Services Ltd in Ireland, where the game is saved, for my particular server (Asia 2). 

159.153.98.92 is Electronic Arts in California, US, where the simulation takes place I assume.

23.21.196.250 is Amazon Technologies in Virginia, US, for Origin accounts information logon.

So there! Technically you could even run Simcity off a 3G connection I think.

Cheers.

wow I guess I won't have to worry about using too much data on my internet but hey how much would that be per hour 

And in New Zealand, we have monthly data caps. 50GB is probably the most common at the moment for about NZ$50, but there was a time (not that long ago) when it was more like $100 for 20GB...

What :O

You guys aren't lucky...

Last night I had internet problems on my PC so I used my mobile phone as an AP to play.

After 4 hours play my mobile reported that 90 MB data was transferred between my PC and internet. Since I had no other PC background applications running that might access internet, I think this 90 MB/4 hours is all by SC.

Not bad. Question: I trid setting this up on my HTC One S through T-Mobile, and on a Galaxy Note 2 with AT&T, and found I had to pay a fee to do this (which is BS since I'm already paying for data) I know there's a workaround to do it for free... How are you combatting this issue?

I like the new churches. Kinda cool!

No this game does NOT use a lot of bandwidth at all! I checked.

It's already been long discredited, but so much for "We need the always-on connection because we do some of the simulation on our servers".

This is excellent, as on Friday and Tuesday (so almost immediately following the SimCity for Mac release...) I will be in airports a lot of the day. Maybe I'll be able to play using my iPhone for internet...things to check out!