Sign in to follow this  
KonstantinII

Question about disk

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

I wonder is it good to take out the disk from the computer after running sc4? Can I keep the disk in the slot all the time so I don't have to put it back in when starting the program again? I remember when I got introduced to sc4 in my old school, my computer teacher put the disk in the computer when loading sc4, then took it out after loading has completed. This is really building a city without the disk.

I'm surprised to hear that you can take the disk out in the middle of playing the game.  My experience has usually been that games will crash if you do that.  But I guess I don't remember trying it with SC4 specifically.

Your disk is probably safer from wear, tear, and the risk of getting lost inside your CD drive.  As long as you don't knock over your computer tower (if it's a desktop) or drop it (if it's a laptop), your disk should be perfectly safe inside.  I usually do it since SC4 is the most frequent game I still play that uses a disk.

Sure, there's nothing technically wrong with leaving a disk in the drive. If you play the game on a regular basis, it's probably less likely to become damaged this way. The action of removing and re-inserting can only increase the risk of scratches & wear. I suppose the only disadvantage is when your PC firsts boots up. The system does take a bit more time to recognise the disk. But this is very insignificant, and it won't be noticeable afterwards.

In the long term, it's a fact that CDs (like all hardware) do eventually wear out. When this happens, it might be a wise move to purchase the digital download version.

Keep my disc in the laptop all the time and have no issues. 

Only hear the disc start spinning when I boot SC4, or open a Win browser. Other than that, it just sits there quietly.

Before my installation disks died the death of too frequent use and bad storage, I used to leave the play disk in a drive at all times.  I have two optical drives, so it is not a big deal.  I now have the diskless digital download, but this is in preference to buying a new copy of the CD based game.

My CDs survived three machines and several operating systems, but I think they simply died of bad storage.

Hmm, a rather interesting topic. My CD is around 4 years old, although in use only about 2 years. And although it has some significant amount of scratches, it still work properly.

I normally use a virtual disk drive, so I use burned my two installation and play CD's into image files and run them using a virtual disk app. I keep my disk for safe storage to reduce and kill off any chance of damage from wear and tear.

Yes, I used to do that too, but eventually CDs die of old age.  They are not the archival storage that was originally advertised.  The glue in the substrates deteriorates and the foil becomes detached.

I don't know what you guys do to your CDs.   ;)   My oldest ones are around 12 years old and I've never had one that stopped working.

That said, I do clean my entire CD collection now and then, and keep them properly stored.  Maybe I'm weird, but I've never had to buy a game twice.  To me it's easier to keep track of a physical CD case than a slip of paper or file with registration numbers.  Plus you get a manual with most CDs--not always true for downloads.

There is no question in my case of improper storage.  Guilty as charged.  Moved five times, and not always under good conditions.  Disks stored sometimes in a sunny window.  That's how mine got scragged.