Sign in to follow this  
Mary Maurine Mayo

what is your favorite constellation ?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Welllllllll, I will admit I haven't given it too much thought, but I like two for different reasons.

The first is Gemini cause one can see it so clearly in the night sky.

The second one is Amdromada. I like that one do to the myth of how it came about.

@Mary: You know that that constellation is going to have a blowout soon.  The sky watchers are waiting for Betelgeuse to go nova.

My favourite constellation is Ursa Major (the big dipper) because it points directly at Polaris.  All sailors in the northern hemisphere are really in love with the pole star, including me.

@Mary: You know that that constellation is going to have a blowout soon. The sky watchers are waiting for Betelgeuse to go nova.

Just wondering but if one says Betelgeuse three times does it come to our solar system??? :D

• Original Poster
  • @Mary: You know that that constellation is going to have a blowout soon. The sky watchers are waiting for Betelgeuse to go nova..

No, I didn't know that.

I look for orion every fall and winter for some reason it comforts me to see him in the sky.

Yeah, Orion rules!

features-Betelgeuse-1.jpg

I'd have to go with Crux, the Southern Cross.

The Southern Hemisphere has no equivalent star to Polaris. Instead, we have something similar involving the Southern Cross along with Alpha and Beta Centauri. If you extend the longer line of the Cross, and take a line that bisects the line between Alpha and Beta Centauri, the point where these lines intersect is close to the South Celestial Pole.

@Mary: You know that that constellation is going to have a blowout soon. The sky watchers are waiting for Betelgeuse to go nova.

Just wondering but if one says Betelgeuse three times does it come to our solar system??? :D

I hope not, it's almost 7 times larger than the distance from the Earth to the Sun!

When the light from the nova gets here, it will have been travelling for a very long time.

And you better hope the gamma ray burst is not pointed in our direction when that star blows.  We'll never see it coming until it hits.

Cassiopeia, the queen.

photocass.jpg

I watched the French space opera anime "Il était une fois...l'Espace" as a child, and one of the primary antagonists of that show was the militant Empire of the Constellation of Cassiopeia.  Pompous, megalomaniacal, bombastic, and vainglorious, Cassiopeia was a French cartoon parody of Nazi Germany, complete with red armbands sporting a black "W" insignia in place of a swastika.  Amusingly, the scheming leadership of Cassiopeia was portrayed as nefariously inept...a weird blending of Hermann Göring, Colonel Klink, and Gargamel.

svu5.jpg

Hey, the evil lackey ambassador is former French President Sarkozy!

sarkoiletaitebb4-34e74.jpg

Okay, as ridiculous as the characterizations were, Cassiopeia had awesome anime ships modeled after ocean predators:

star35x.jpg

Espace-ManchuNautilus.jpg

Espace-ManchuMurene.jpg

Love the "W" insignias!

Cassiopeia's invincible armadas, lovingly rendered in early 1980s Japanimation style, get spectacularly wiped out in grand opera fashion by unrelenting hordes of Borg-like communist Robot forces bent on the nuclear eradication of humanity, radically changing the balance of power in the galaxy and throwing the now exposed and helpless democratic states of the "European Community in Space" into panicked disarray.

Many of my little game space empires are loosely based on Cassiopeia.

Of course, Cassiopeia was also hot and blonde in "Battlestar Galactica," and Queen Cassiopeia made vain power look imperiously sexy in "Clash of the Titans."  Okay, I admit, Julie Newmar was wicked sexy as the War Witch in "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century," and her evil spaceships were painted up like sharks and barracudas as well.  Err, Jane Badler as Diana was fascist hot in "V" as well, even as she was eating gerbils and hamsters whole and still kicking.  Dominate me!

I live in a dense urban area with tons of ambient light in the night sky. What's a constellation? :P

In all seriousness, though, even when I've been in (and lived in) places where you can see stars in the sky, I've never understood why people draw random lines between them and say it's a picture of something. I always have a hard time locating or recognizing any constellations in the night sky. I mean, they're just a bunch of dots amongst a bunch of other dots. I look at the sky and see... a bunch of dots.

I live in a dense urban area with tons of ambient light in the night sky. What's a constellation? :P

In all seriousness, though, even when I've been in (and lived in) places where you can see stars in the sky, I've never understood why people draw random lines between them and say it's a picture of something. I always have a hard time locating or recognizing any constellations in the night sky. I mean, they're just a bunch of dots amongst a bunch of other dots. I look at the sky and see... a bunch of dots.

i can see the big dipper and little dipper and orion is a man shape, but the rest are lost on me.

Most of the constellation names come out of Greek Mythology.  The Greeks liked to elevate their demi-gods into the firmament.  Later, the Romans did the same thing and the Astronomical Union seems to have caught this disease as well.  Star names like Betelgeuse are Arabic.  I think the Arab scholars of the Moorish empire still echo in the stars.  As a seaman, I learned to identify most of the first and second magnitude stars visible in the Northern hemisphere.