Sign in to follow this  
BRStackola

Limit on low income? I'm trying to make a slum.

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Does the game place a limit on how much R$ will grow in a region? Am I just doing something wrong?

I'm trying to make a sprawling low-income-only city on my region map in an attempt to spread them entirely throughout an area of my region map (about 2.5 large city tiles large), but I'm finding that demand drops incredibly fast without a demand for ID or C$ to compensate and allow the sprawl to continue... 

Secondary issue:

When my R$ demand IS high, the game won't fill in my high density zones with larger low-income residential, does the demand need to hit a certain point? 

Any and ALL advice regarding making a giant slum-city would be much appreciated!

Hmmm if you want medium/high density R$ and you have at the least a demand of 2000 or more sims calling for it, it should then be only a matter of desirability.  If you are having a hard time getting a medium/high density building to pop out of the ground, I would have to suggest plopping a park or two at the location of the zone you have created for them.  I would have to suggest using the 'CTRL'(hold it down) while zoning too, that way you can create a zone specific to the size of the building you want to grow, for example, if you want medium density R$, you may want to hold down the 'CTRL' key and drag out a zone of either 2X2, 2X3 or 3X2.  If you want a high density R$ building to grow, I would have to suggest holding the 'CTRL' key and zoning zones 3X3, 2X4, 4X2 and some grow at 4X4, also a 3X2 I think.  If after you have created the proper zone and you have the demand to support 2000 new Sims(that is about what it will take to grow high density R$) and a high/medium density building still does not grow and it keeps breaking down into smaller lots, I would place a park or two, and if that does not work, you can place some parks AND reduce the traffic noise, to reduce traffic noise you will have to get some functional noise barriers(I suggest deadwoods' walls(curved noise barriers is what they are called), his barriers work to reduce noise like a dream(pollution too)), if your buildings still do not pop up for you, it is time to create more demand then(grow some I-D or CS$ or I-Ag)

Edit: Oh crap, I almost forgot the most obvious of them all, if you want medium or high density buildings you are going to NEED water to be supplied to them.

Another suggestion:

Make the tax rates close to 20.00 for the R$$ and R$$$ to make sure all residential is completely R$. I've tried many cities with large concentration of R$ and it takes a while to fill an entire large city tile up. Lots of sims will travel to neighboring cities but unless you have anti anondonment mods or something, your going to need lots of jobs to support them. The problem I've run into is have a large amount of jobs match the look of the R$(whether apartment blocks or large projects). I ended up adjusting buildings with high job stats in lot editor to match the surrounding building. For instance, I made the WTC lot (25,000 jobs) into a 1x2 Maxis stock apartment block. But of course, sims still could work there.

Check out the last page of my CJ (near the top) because I explained some things there of what I do. There's a link in my sig

I've never tried an *entire city* of low income.  Much of what works well has already been posted above.  Instead however of plopping the Maxis parks, search the STEX and find not-so-nice parks and small landmarks (use communist, alley, slum, ghetto, shanty, abandoned, decay, dilapidation, brutalism as search words).  They look poverty stricken but (isn't that what you want?) it doesn't make much a difference really, low income sims will still move in to be near them.  A great growable residential is Wallibuk's 'Favela'.  It looks amazing!  You'll have to mark it historical almost as soon as it grows though, cuz it may redevelop just as quickly. 

Of course the strategy above requires that the city has an adequate income, pocket parks and small landmarks still add up to a lot in expenditures.   

Keep at it, it took me a long time to perfect but what I've said here (and others have posted above) will help.

Demand for R$ (and any other development type) drops as soon as growth takes place. This is called "satisfying" the demand and is absolutely normal. To continue development you need more jobs for $ sims, and these can be everywhere. ID employs only $ sims, IM empliys a lot too, CS (all three wealth levels) employ only (or mostly) $, even CO$$ employ 40% $ sims and CO$$$ 20%. The problem is that you cannot base a whole city (particularly a big one) on ID only, as pollution will reach incredibly high levels, you will finally need those expensive treatment plants and import water; you will need a lot of power too. That is the whole thing will prove unsustainable economically. And not to mention the vast amount of space ID needs, for providing relatively few jobs. Demand for ID may finally drop as a result of improved education level, so growth will stop. So you need to develop more jobs in the other sectors as well. Demand for CS (all wealth levels) depends (only!) on population, as it regards sims mostly as "customers" rather than "workers". The higher the population the more the CS jobs your city can sustain. CS demand rised after a population rise, and separately for each wealth level. One or two months after a R$ building develops you get demand for more CS$ jobs. That is, CS are the "followers" rather than the "drivers" of growth. So you need to create more jobs in the other sectors first.

I have been able to grow (and keep) cities with all development types, and also have wealth-segregated areas. This is quite hard though, as it requires a lot of "micromanagement" unfortunatelty, like zoning carefully, marking historical and exiting-without-saving if you don't get the desired development. Take a look and R$-only cities, especially hirise R$ cities may suffer economically (take a look ). You will have to pay proportionately to the population increased health and education expenses, but you won't be getting proportionately higher taxes. So I think it would be best to have mixed cities with wealth-segregated areas, rather than cities of only one wealth level.

Does the game place a limit on how much R$ will grow in a region?

You mean stage limits ?

Don't just lay medium/high density zones all over the city. Start with low density zones first and upgrade them to medium/high density zones little by little.

If the houses still doesn't to grow bigger, plant mayor-mode trees all over those lots. This will boost desirability around the area and development will concentrate there.

If you want to keep low income all around, just throw education out the window. This will prevent jobs from upgrading to C$$/C$$$/IM/IHT.

You can't simply add unlimited population without creating jobs. SimCity is and always has been about balancing the various zone types; a drop in residential demand means it's time to zone C or I.

You can use SimGoober's Canal Set to keep agriculture demand up, and make lots of farms, medium density industrial (dirty), and zone only small single occupancy C ( 1 x 1, 2 x 1, 1 x 2).  Tenements are created by zoning 4 x 2 high-density R beside the dirty industry.  Set IM, IT taxes to at least 15% while lowering I-D taxes to 5%.  Tax all CO out of the game (20%) and use levels higher than 12% for stuff you don't want much of.  Lots of fire protection, lots of cops, no schools or other educational institutions.  Some health services but cut ambulance funding to zero.  Avoid medium density R, and make sure you can't get consolidation into 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 low density R to avoid mansions.  Tolls on all neighbour connections (if any).

The game is geared to disallow this and force balance approach to mixed wealth urbanization, so you are asking for a fight.