Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

If you behead a snake ...

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Heads of drug organisations can be replaced. It's like a hydra in that respect.

Dutch network reseach found out that if you really want to kill such an organisation, search for in-expendable people in the organisation, like certain technicians or chemists, and arrest them. Then you hit drug organisations in the heart with less effort required than to kill the organisation otherwise...

The problem with that approach is that you first need to know exactly who is what within that network. That means you need a lot of data. It remains to be seen if Mexico has that information. 

Personally though, I'd say that if you really want to declare war on those drug cartels, its about time the Mexican government starts fighting it like a war. No more arresting people, just call in the army and shoot on sight. Perhaps ask if you can borrow some drones from the US and systematically begin targeting the drug lord houses. Which shouldn't be hard, given those houses size. Also, clean out the prisons, no point in putting people in prison if they can treat it like some luxury hotel. 

A good way for the USA to help win the war against the mostly Mexican and Colombian drug gangs is to lower demand for their product, cocaine. By cracking down on drug dealers selling coke and crack and legalizing less harmful substances (such as pot), Washington has already contributed more than most other USA states.

--Ocram

A good way for the USA to help win the war against the mostly Mexican and Colombian drug gangs is to lower demand for their product, cocaine. By cracking down on drug dealers selling coke and crack and legalizing less harmful substances (such as pot), Washington has already contributed more than most other USA states.

--Ocram

That approach will be to late now. Those gangs have already begun expanding their businesses to other areas such as human trafficking, prostitution, illegal weapons dealing, etc. Simply lowering demand for drugs in the US will hurt their revenues for sure, but it will no longer be the end of the cartels. 

• Original Poster
  • Time for another 1930s style set of Untouchables or Gang Busters, but on an international scale.  A nice set of well-trained assassins reporting to Interpol would beat anything the U.S. could do considering all the factions in the U.S. with lobbying power. 

If you really want to destabilize the international mob you have to destroy their drug stocks at source.  This means finding a biological that either denatures the coca plant and the poppy or utter eradication of both.  Tough lines on the farmers who grow this garbage, but a farmer is usually flexible enough to grow something else: food crops, for example.

Screams from the medical fraternity notwithstanding, I am sure pain killers other than opiates can be found.  Time for the pharmaceutical cartels to start earning all that money they've been getting for all these years.  Medical use of morphine and heroin is there because it is there.

Time for another 1930s style set of Untouchables or Gang Busters, but on an international scale.  A nice set of well-trained assassins reporting to Interpol would beat anything the U.S. could do considering all the factions in the U.S. with lobbying power. 

If you really want to destabilize the international mob you have to destroy their drug stocks at source.  This means finding a biological that either denatures the coca plant and the poppy or utter eradication of both.  Tough lines on the farmers who grow this garbage, but a farmer is usually flexible enough to grow something else: food crops, for example.

Screams from the medical fraternity notwithstanding, I am sure pain killers other than opiates can be found.  Time for the pharmaceutical cartels to start earning all that money they've been getting for all these years.  Medical use of morphine and heroin is there because it is there.

Australian censors have been planning to outlaw Morphine for years, look at what happened to Fallout 3. And more recently Saints Row IV, I swear we have Indonesia's drug laws, mandatory death penalty notwithstanding...

Due to the systemic nature of the problem from field to... injection?  it is one which requires a great offensive attack to defeat. Drug-related crime can be prevented or stopped in simpler localised means, but the drug industry, like any industry, has a lot of employees and people making cash off of its activities. Thus one has to attack it from every angle possible. The farmers may well only know how to grow drug crops. They require something to ensure them of a certain future if they cease doing that. For all we know the farmers are getting high themselves. 

Drug demand is another factor. Legalising soft drugs won't stop demand for tough drugs. That's like legalising soft rock and keeping heavy metal illegal. If people want to use soft drugs they will, whether or not they are legal. Biological controls would require flying over countries which would be diplomatically difficult. Either that or secret agents and insiders. Chopping off the head... yes it will be a hydraic response methinks. The heart aforementioned likewise, as these skills will be got somehow somewhere. How do big companies recruit smart people? Money. Not something the drug industry lacks. 

However I think all things considered targeting demand is the most logical offensive. If nobody wanted to get high the industry would collapse, and resort to aforementioned prostitution and gun sales etc. What we need is to create a legal safe alternative to drugs. Something controlled and electric... Something which is managed digitally by computers and not by people. 

Generally if you start poisoning plants you poison the ground to the point that nothing can grow there anymore. But if thats what you want, Agent Orange should do the job. Even better, let the UN do it and no one will be held responsible for the ecological disaster that follows as the UN is immune from prosecution. 

And really, morphine addiction is only a tiny fraction of the problem and unworthy of such a large scale attack. Besides that, destroy all the natural grown hard drugs and people will simply replace it with synthetic hard drugs that can be made from normal, every day chemicals. Meth being the prime example. So, why even bother going after the natural drugs. Its costly and results in nothing. 

Drug demand is another factor. Legalising soft drugs won't stop demand for tough drugs. That's like legalising soft rock and keeping heavy metal illegal. If people want to use soft drugs they will, whether or not they are legal. Biological controls would require flying over countries which would be diplomatically difficult. Either that or secret agents and insiders. Chopping off the head... yes it will be a hydraic response methinks. The heart aforementioned likewise, as these skills will be got somehow somewhere. How do big companies recruit smart people? Money. Not something the drug industry lacks. 

Actually that might not be entirely true. The Netherlands has allowed people to use soft drugs and never made a big deal out of it. And as a result, we have the lowest drug using rates for both soft AND hard drugs. Apparantly, if you don't make a big deal out of it, a lot of people don't even bother to begin using drugs. 

But then again, we also don't have the American midwest, nor are we all pathologically bored that we need drugs to inject some 'fun' in our lives. 

• Original Poster
  • Opium poppies are the sole source of delicious, edible poppy seeds. --Ocram

You'll have to do with sesame seeds.

Getting rid of the natural products would greatly cut into the drug trade in spite of synthetics.  It is rather easier to trace the drug precursor chemicals for things like meth.  The next thing would be to up the penalties for possession in any amount.  How about one month on the chain gang for each dose in the perps possession?  And, yes, I said chain gang.  The infrastructure needs fixing.

Unprescribed drug possession for personal use is ridiculous.  Dopers need to be converted into goat ropers.

Getting rid of the natural products would greatly cut into the drug trade in spite of synthetics.  It is rather easier to trace the drug precursor chemicals for things like meth.  The next thing would be to up the penalties for possession in any amount.  How about one month on the chain gang for each dose in the perps possession?  And, yes, I said chain gang.  The infrastructure needs fixing.

Unprescribed drug possession for personal use is ridiculous.  Dopers need to be converted into goat ropers.

The US already has ridiculous heavy sentences for possession of any kind of drugs and it has had no positive effect on drug use. Ridiculous punishments are not an effective deterrent. 

And for synthetic drugs this is even more ridiculous given that a big amount of those drugs are made from household chemicals that are used for non drug related purposes as well. 

• Original Poster
  • In order to make synthetic drugs one has to have unreasonably large amounts of so-called household chemicals.  I notices the other day that one of my cleaners (a powder) contains bleaching powder.  Combined with a little household ammonia, I too could, like Sir Humphrey Davy, blow myself up.  He was lucky he only lost most of one hand, but was credited with the discovery of Ammonium Chloride.

In order to make synthetic drugs one has to have unreasonably large amounts of so-called household chemicals.  I notices the other day that one of my cleaners (a powder) contains bleaching powder.  Combined with a little household ammonia, I too could, like Sir Humphrey Davy, blow myself up.  He was lucky he only lost most of one hand, but was credited with the discovery of Ammonium Chloride.

Yeah, true, you need large amounts if you want to produce enough stuff to sell. But there are companies that need those chemicals for legitimate purposes. Or you simply go out and buy small quantities from different vendors. The point is that its not practical or cost effective to go after everyone buying these house hold chemicals because 'they might use it to produce meth'. They might also use them to clean their house. 

I have to show a photo ID to purchase real Sudafed for my allergies at the local Pharmacy. And they keep track in a statewide database of how much I buy. And when. I can get the synthetic, knock-off brand, over the counter though. It just doesn't work as well.

On a different note...I don't have to show any ID to vote. Go figure.