Sign in to follow this  
boddole

New Player Question - Can I Just Play the Way I Want to?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone, new player here (I'm a bit late to the party I know...) and I had a general question about the way the game is designed (long boring story ahead):

I went into a region square with a fairly small amount of land (with the idea of making it a...concentrated center of high tech industry). Things were not going the way I wanted so I looked around for tips on stimulating HT industry (build this, that, setup areas up like so....), makes sense. So I implement them but shortly after, growth would always stop well short I what I was trying to do. I then read that aside from building requirements there are these "magic ratios" that the game wants before it "allows" more growth, meaning that I have to essentially play every map the same way (first, get these people, then rebuild to get those people, then build again to get these other people, all the while maintaining the correct ratios of all 3 groups). Additionally, it seems that setting up other region square correctly or incorrectly is needed to get the results you want, meaning that you have to play other cities you don't care about to funnel resources to the city you do care about.

So, is there a way / mods that "opens up the game" to make it more fun (within reason)? I am really put off by having to repeat the same long series of steps, maintain somewhat arbitrary population balances, and deal with other cities that connect to mine, just to build something I might like managing in the future.

Thanks for reading all of that.

You can play the way you want to if you implement some basic rules. For example, it is important to have enough people to do those jobs. I assume you have a residential neighboring city. It is important to have enough people live there and it is also important that those people all have a different health. If the people in the neighboring city are poor you won't be able to develop High Tech industry. I-HT is mainly for rich people, thus there should be enough rich people looking for a job. Another important situation is that the people in the neighboring city aren't able to find the fitting job in their own city, then they're willing to travel larger distances to find the right job. You also might want to run the other city for some game months, this could change the commute to your I-HT city to a decent amount. If you run the I-HT city for a few months after that you should be able to see correct commute patterns.

For industrial development Simcity 4 is using a model that is quite similar to the industrial revolution. In the beginning you are only able to grow dirty industry. Later you can also develop manufacturing industry and after that High Tech. Patience is key. This development is also paired with commercial development.

I built a city that stands completely alone with over 300,000 Sims inhabiting it(I could have made it even bigger but I got bored with it).  It has minimal dilapidation/abandonment and my mayor rating is through the roof.  To do that, I just followed the demand meters.

In this game, for all intents and purposes, you are God(I like to think that when my Sims go to church, they pray to ME, I even rename my churches "Church of Metal"), you can do anything you wish to do.  Still, there are things that work and things that don't work.

• Original Poster
  • I understand that there are way to accomplish certain objectives, but it seems the game designs every region to follow the same pattern, period (ex.Threads say that building a university is a sure fire way to attract high tech industry, but with the population reqs, the only realistic way to get a university is to build up with dirty industry then rebuild). So you have to always follow the same long series of steps, making the same "city" over and over again to please the game balance. The only differences is the layout, and small changes here and there - at least that is how it feels, like its too "realistic" for its own good.

Whoa, ladies.  Let's not assume the OP has the same game you do.  What game do you have? 

Possibilities are:

SimCity 4 from CD

SimCity 4 + Rush Hour from CD

SimCity 4 Deluxe from CD

There are published patches for all of the above that are needed.

SimCity 4 Deluxe Digital Download from authorized sources -- e.g. Amazon, GamersGate, Steam, Origin.

We need to know before giving any kind of definitive answer.  One must not assume that a question is about the game you have when answering unless you actually know what the questioner has.

Even if you try to build the same city over and over, it will look different each time and develop different needs, pluses and minuses. That's why this is such a fun game.

But you don't absolutely have to follow the in-game advice or the experts' recommendations. For example, half of my cities have maximum demand for agriculture, but I never zone for it because I like the open space and because I don't want a farming town. Or you could build a city with 300,000 residents and a thriving economy, but without a single skyscraper. In the end, you decide what to build and what your goal is.

I suppose you could find a mod to make every building ploppable, pause the game, and then design whatever you want. Personally, I wouldn't find that fun at all.

I suppose you could find a mod to make every building ploppable, pause the game, and then design whatever you want. Personally, I wouldn't find that fun at all.

The Extra Cheats DLL mod allows you to plop any building you want at any time. However, any C or I bat plopped will become dilapidated and/or abandoned if there isn't enough demand to fill it. And any R buildings plopped will abandoned 99.9% of the time. (would say 100% but I've read others that have had it work but not often)

Hello everyone, new player here (I'm a bit late to the party I know...) and I had a general question about the way the game is designed (long boring story ahead):

I went into a region square with a fairly small amount of land (with the idea of making it a...concentrated center of high tech industry). Things were not going the way I wanted so I looked around for tips on stimulating HT industry (build this, that, setup areas up like so....), makes sense. So I implement them but shortly after, growth would always stop well short I what I was trying to do. I then read that aside from building requirements there are these "magic ratios" that the game wants before it "allows" more growth, meaning that I have to essentially play every map the same way (first, get these people, then rebuild to get those people, then build again to get these other people, all the while maintaining the correct ratios of all 3 groups). Additionally, it seems that setting up other region square correctly or incorrectly is needed to get the results you want, meaning that you have to play other cities you don't care about to funnel resources to the city you do care about.

So, is there a way / mods that "opens up the game" to make it more fun (within reason)? I am really put off by having to repeat the same long series of steps, maintain somewhat arbitrary population balances, and deal with other cities that connect to mine, just to build something I might like managing in the future.

Thanks for reading all of that.

Everyone is busy trying to tell you that it's more fun to play the game with the built-in challenges, but I will answer your question directly.

There are several ways to 'open up the game.'

• A Demand Mod (there are several, search the STEX and LEX) will allow you to never worry about getting buildings to grow.
    • The Extra Cheats DLL will allow you to plop any buildings you want.
    • There are many utility mods that remove the need for electricity, water, etc.
    • If you set the network capacities to high with NAM's Traffic Simulator Config Tool, you'll never have to worry about traffic again.
    • I think there might be some mods that remove job requirements for sims.  I haven't looked into this though.

If you search around, you should find what you want.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you for all the responses, I really appreciate it. To answer a question from above:

I have SimCity4 Deluxe + rush hour, patched with the 1 official patch I could find for that combo.

I'll check out those mod files, thanks for the tip.

You can start a neighbouring city with dirty/manufacturing industry and maximize tax for high tech. Prepare a high-tech area in the main city. Maximum tax for IM & ID for this city. This way, you dont need all the IHT will go to this city. You just have to wait.

If you haven't, you should run the tutorial provided for new players in the Timbuktu region.  This is very basic, but lays out the developers ideas pretty clearly.  After that, like all well trained lab rats follow the Harvard Law of Animal Behaviour.

Do as you damn please.

One of the great things about the game is there's many different ways to play, but no set rules. A city tile is a blank canvas. You hold the paintbrush to add your own unique methods of creativity. That's why it's difficult to recommend mods, as not all will suit / benefit everyone. Though the NAM is considered "game-changing", and does massively improve the playability.

The main things you need is patience and perseverance. Be willing to trial and test the simulation, and find your own playing style. This is especially important when using the NAM.

Everyone is busy trying to tell you that it's more fun to play the game with the built-in challenges, but I will answer your question directly.

There are several ways to 'open up the game.'

• A Demand Mod (there are several, search the STEX and LEX) will allow you to never worry about getting buildings to grow.
    • The Extra Cheats DLL will allow you to plop any buildings you want.
    • There are many utility mods that remove the need for electricity, water, etc.
    • If you set the network capacities to high with NAM's Traffic Simulator Config Tool, you'll never have to worry about traffic again.
    • I think there might be some mods that remove job requirements for sims.  I haven't looked into this though.

If you search around, you should find what you want.

Another new player who came here to ask this question. Thanks for the direct answer!

Beware of demand mods and other things that skew the game's properties.  Before you use anything like that, understand it thoroughly or there will be surprises.