Sign in to follow this  
Fottmark

Starting a main city tip/advise

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a residential city and have about 45,000 sim. Also I have a industrial city so sims come from residential city to work there. I notice the demand start telling me that i have to build office buildings. So I want to start a CBD in new tile so sims can travel from residential city to CBD tile but I don't know how to start CBD

How do I start a CBD?

PS. Sorry for my grammar!

Thank you

You could start off by getting some inspiration from other mayor's CBD's in this

Then you might want to look at some real life cities with Google Earth for more inspiration. 

First of all it is important to have the NAM. This mod improves simulation of traffic and demand. You could also use the CAM (I use it in combination with the NAM). If used in combination with the CAM you should delete the folder z_cam (if existed). There is also a workforce bug, there is a fix of that on sc4devotion. CAM alters the simulation of commercial demand and it adds some stages so that you can grow larger buildings, it is important to download enough buildings of those higher stages (in order to avoid repetition). Buildings with the CAM as dependency have larger stages. There are also building packs, I have seen a thread on General Discussion a short while ago.

A typical feature of a Central Business District are the high density buildings. Those high density buildings are build because of the lack of space, you could recreate that by limiting the zone-size. Demand is also very important, you should keep your demand high. If there is a demand-drop there could be slower development or abandonment.

Another important issue is commute time. Connections between the two cities should be good in order to let travel residents to another city. If you want to accomplish that by car it is important to create enough parking facilities next to the CBD. Another option (which is my favorite for transportation between cities) is the train. You could build a station with parking facilities in your residential city and another station with connections to other public transport in the CBD. You could use bus stops in the beginning, later you can switch to subway if you want to. It is recommended to leave enough room around your train station and tracks. In the beginning you only need one track and a small station, but when that changes you want to avoid demolishing some of your buildings. You could search for a large station (if you like to keep the tracks) which is fancy enough for the CBD you want to build in the future. This way you know how much space you'll need.

You can also choose to connect the cities by subway. Personally this isn't my favorite, I do use it sometimes but only as secondary connection. The problem is that most subway-stations don't have a capacity that is high enough. The largest subway-only stations I have, have a capacity of 20.000 or something like that. Besides, I think it is more realistic to have stations of a huge size (about 100.000 capacity) instead of single stairs on the street.

Below some of the custom BATs I use:

CBDs evolve and just do not leap into existence.  Start a tile with an area picked out to be the CBD.  A good way to delineate this is an avenue roundabout (NAM 31.2 needed) with avenues radiating from it.  Bulldoze the fountain in the centre and zone a 2 x 2 high density commercial lot there.  Along the avenues you could zone some more 2 x 2  high density blocks of about four lots each, back to back.  Now zone lots of single occupancy residential beyond that, and grow the city naturally.

You will need some plazas (the 2 x 2 ones are good), lots of education for the residents, fire coverage, police coverage, health coverage, water everywhere.

Run in turtle and take your time.  This will not spring into being in less than, say, 50 Sim-years.  At first you will get low rise buildings but they will be replaced over time.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and this won't happen very quickly either.  I just let mine occur after a little prompting.  Work to stay in the black.  If you need more money you can get it with the Extra Cheats DLL's moolah command.

Generally I build across the region fairly evenly.  If you work the neighbour deals and put settlements at the joins, things look nicer and you get some traffic started across the links.  This is a work in progress, but my main city will be Appleby Station.

x1kIP3f.jpg

This is in NAMs transport view so you can clearly see what areas are occupied.

Unlike industrial towns, you can't simply raise a CBD from nothing and expect it to work well. Most of my best business districts get large because they are the oldest thing in the region, at the crossroads of every major transit route in the region, and because I've invested heavily in providing city services in the area. You can of course develop business districts anywhere you want provided that you have sufficient demand and population, but a big downtown with skyscrapers is something that you need to invest in early on and grow over time.

These two pictures depict the same CBD at different points in time, to illustrate my point:

Clarksville-Mar.+31%252C+091308608482.jp

Clarksville-Mar.+6%252C+1221334553837.jp

I Prefer to make cities around what will be the CBD "city" so the demand for what I want is high. If I have the money I like to set my roads and streets first but sometimes d/t financial constraints I can't do that so I always play on turtle and do a little at a time till I get the CBD I want. I like to have grown buildings but I'm not adverse to plopping a few here and there...

I like to have grown buildings but I'm not adverse to plopping a few here and there...

I'm the same way, but just recently have I noticed that there are just some beautiful bats/buildings that were never created to grow. It'd be a shame to dismiss them on that fact alone. No need to cut off the nose to spite the face. I'll restrain as much as possible when it comes to plopping any buildings, but.......ya gotta have it!

I like to have grown buildings but I'm not adverse to plopping a few here and there...

I'm the same way, but just recently have I noticed that there are just some beautiful bats/buildings that were never created to grow. It'd be a shame to dismiss them on that fact alone. No need to cut off the nose to spite the face. I'll restrain as much as possible when it comes to plopping any buildings, but.......ya gotta have it!

If you want to save money, you can change those beautiful ploppable buildings into growable ones, like this:

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2550.0

Then you don't have to waste money on plopping buildings.

With or without Moolah, monies isn't usually an issue I have with my cities. Rather diligent at keeping the budget in the black which usually gives me an excess there of.

Not sure if I'd have the patience to go through all that, but it's nice to know there is that option.

The thing is, usually a ploppable building is so unique, I wouldn't actually want it to grow all over the place. Some plain CO buildings that are only ploppable would be best to convert, but there aren't many that don't come in growable now a days.