12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have been going crazy trying to stop a crash on SC4 Deluxe Edition (Europe). Now I know exactly WHEN it crashes. I just don't know WHY! I have SimGoober's Canals (BSC_Install_Canals_BasePack) & Locks (BSC_Install_Canals_Locks). Of course I have the NAM (NetworkAddonMod Setup 31.2) and (Install_BSC_Essentials). I can play SC4 Deluxe indefinitely. But immediately as I attempt to lay a road or street beside the SG Canal Locks, the game crashes to desktop! Does anyone know what is happening?

I may check into the fact that the NAM 31.2 installer automatically installs the SimGoober canal pack (at least when doing a custom install).  I would check to ensure you are running the latest version and check to make sure that the NAM version isn't conflicting with the downloaded version.  If that doesn't work try running the most recent NAM installer and choosing the 'Callagrafx' canals pack instead of SimGoober's.  

When I installed 31.2, I first cleaned out any mods and lots that might be in conflict.  Cleanitol doesn't run well on Linux.  It might be a good idea to check over your folder for SG stuff and make sure you don't have an old version in conflict.

• Original Poster
  • Merci for the advice folks. UPDATE: I have located 2 mystery squares on the grid! These squares are not near each other and seem to have nothing in common except for one thing: If I try to lay a road, street, avenue, etc. on the square...CRASH to desktop! This is too weird. I have cordoned off the area so I don't accidently try to lay road on it. Does anyone have any idea? Could it be a problem with my copy of SC4? I'm lost. Thanks again for all your help.

Sounds like you removed something from your plugins folder after plopping it.

Or they may be remnants of 'immortal lots,' in which case the course of action to take is to dezone and bulldoze the area several times.

I believe CAN-AM is road based and the bridges for SG canals are TE lots. But the only thing that could possibly be causing such a crash would be the terrain, like it's trying to level an unsuitable grade or something...

• Original Poster
  • slope mod? hmmmm...I have a leveler installed - PEG-CDK-Leveler_205_SU. I have identified 3 squares in my city, seemingly unrelated (not near each other, not on the same lat or long, different terrain, etc.) which cause an immediate shutdown of SC4 and loss of work. I just stay away from those three.

It sounds like you used a mayor mode ploppable (MMP) item at one point on those squares, and have since removed the file from your plugins folder. If that is the case you will need to put the original MMP file back in your plugins folder and then bulldoze the the squares.

The PEG lot leveller is only for coastlines, and is always bulldozed.  It is a quick land smasher for getting things to plop along a coast line.  I have it, but hardly ever use it because it sets the height too low.

A slope mod is a different ball of wax.  It works over the whole tile to allow better appearing slopes than you get without it.  Some users swear by them, but I don't worship at that temple.