Sign in to follow this  
dirtguru

Already rendered region. Can I change city tile size?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Others have posted this question in mapping community thread but received no answer so since I now face this issue I thought I would post here.

I have the very large Kamchatsky/Petropovlosk region by Drunkapple. Region contains all large [can't remember how many] city tiles which is fine for the most part. Currently have four adjoining cities started on the southeast side of a very large bay. I have decided to place my main city [four large city tiles] on the west side of the bay which is three to four large tiles across the bay from the existing cities. What I would like to do if possible is move the borders of the proposed, large, main city tiles to the west by dividing the unclaimed adjoining large tiles in half using two medium city tiles.

The entire region is already rendered but other than the aforementioned cities no other tiles have been claimed.

Will editing the config in this manner wipe out my existing cities? Is this even possible since I have already rendered entire region?

No.  If you change the config.bmp any changed areas will be blanked and you lose the terrain.

However, you can try this:

Make a new region folder and copy the map and the config.bmp file there.
If it is a gray-scale map you can work with the config.bmp using the Landscape Designer.  Easy to do.
If it is a .sc4M map, use mapper or terraformer to do what you need.

In both of these exercises be sure to create spaces of the same size for your existing cities.

Render the region.

Now, depending on what your intentions are, you can import your existing cities from the old region to the new.  Make a backup first.

The import button is on the city opening panel: bwGWcbU.jpg Use the leftmost icon.

You should be aware that this function moves (not copy) the city file from the old folder to the new one.  The city is removed from the existing spot.  If you like you can copy the file first to the .../SimCity 4/Downloads folder.  That's what it is for.  Cities can only be moved to tiles of the same size.