Sign in to follow this  
BelgradeSim

Ugly tram/GLR texture

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, i am playing my copy of SimCity for years, always preserving plugins, when I moved the game to another computer. Somewhere on that way i have lost my tram/GLR textures and i have the ugly one, Maxis default for elevated train.

Can u tell me how can i return to the nice texture and where can I find it?

Thanks guys!

rfeq.jpg

owrz.jpg

a7la.jpg

Installing the NAM is not magic.  While it can run cleanitol, it can only look for known things.  Before a NAM install of the scope of 31.2 you should review and reserve to a separate folder any plugins having to do with transportation.

• Original Poster
  • Yes. And my Plugins folder looks like a dark forest. I do keep it organized with 'Transportation', 'Mods', 'RCI' folders, and i used Dat.packer as well, but i am sure there are some conflicts as well, and hidden and forgotten content, which cause problems like this one. Its purely estetic, not functional but it annoys me.

Sweeping changes like the new NAM caused me to rework my entire plugins suite.  Indeed, I found some doozies, and now have a much cleaner plugins set including NAM 31.2.  datPacker is only good if you can undo it when something like this happens.  I guess you don't keep a "before" folder of the stuff you packed.

I keep a double redundant set of things.  In addition to weekly backups I have every downloaded archive file whose contents are currently in my plugins.  Good thing, too, because I accidentally deleted my entire plugins recently and recovered them nicely from my internal stuff.  I've been around computers for over 50 years, and while they are somewhat reliable, so is your refrigerator provided it is maintained and the power stays on.  The cost of a little external storage (a 1TB HDD) is trivial compared to the work I'd have to do if I really lost my user area.

The default textures for the "Rural" GLR were actually changed to match the Elevated Rail back in NAM 30, when the Tram development team implemented the GLR Drag Extension Plugin.  If you still had the other ones, it means you were using NAM 29 or earlier.  I don't entirely know why they were changed when the system was expanded, though my guess is that it was to differentiate more between "Urban" and "Rural" GLR.

Unfortunately, in your case, the "before" ones were discontinued and are not available for download.  It might be possible to do a little surgery in the Reader on a NAM 29 GLR Plugin file and extract those textures, but unless "Rural" GLR gets changed back to the pre-NAM 30 textures, should there be any future additions to the GLR system, the old set would become incomplete.

-Tarkus

• Original Poster
  • Tarkus, thank u! U resolved the issue that bothered me! I searched and searched for textures and 'what i could have done wrong' but just didn't find anything. Its a strange decision though, as the rural ones now really look ugly. But ok, i have the normal ones, the grass ones too. It is just difficult to change it in a million-people city, with already developed tram network.

Sweeping changes like the new NAM caused me to rework my entire plugins suite.  Indeed, I found some doozies, and new have a much cleaner plugins set including NAM 31.2.  datPacker is only good if you can undo it when something like this happens.  I guess you don't keep a "before" folder of the stuff you packed.

I keep a double redundant set of things.  In addition to weekly backups I have every downloaded archive file whose contents are currently in my plugins.  Good thing, too, because I accidentally deleted my entire plugins recently and recovered them nicely from my internal stuff.  I've been around computers for over 50 years, and while they are somewhat reliable, so is your refrigerator provided it is maintained and the power stays on.  The cost of a little external storage (a 1TB HDD) is trivial compared to the work I'd have to do if I really lost my user area.

Yes, 'Nonny Moose', i do exactly the same thing! I have the Plugin folder ant then a clone Plugin folder where i keep original downloaded stuff, all with readme, pics etc. I also backup regularly cause this metropolis i've been building from 2008.

Greets to all!