Sign in to follow this  
Generic Salad

Sims commuting to other cities rather than their own? Need help!

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi! I'm new the the Simtropolis forums,so I am very,VERY sorry is I posted this thread in the wrong place,I know that happens sometimes!

Anyways,to my problem,that I hope you guys can solve.

You see,in my region,I have 2 cites that are close to each other,Shanghai and Hong Kong. Shanghai is directly under Hong Kong,and there is a highway that connects the 2 cities. The thing is,in Shanghai,all the sims are choosing to commute to Hong Kong,and since that is a long commute,they end up being jobless,making their buildings look  black and ugly,and forcing them to move! In Shanghai,I have transportation that covers most of the area where the residential is,and the I-HT is on another island to the north,there are a few subway connections to this I-HT(almost forgot,there is a bridge connecting both islands). I dont know how to take a screenshot on a laptop,so if you know,maybe I can show you! I have the NAM mod,the mod that gives Maxis made landmarks jobs,a crime doesnt pay mod which lowers crime alot,and a few BAT(about 6-9 buildings)

If anyone can help that would be great!Thanks so much to anyone who reads this!Keep building!~

It is not exactly clear why this should be the case.  Normally the Sims will choose a path to work that is the nearest one of a suitable type.  I suggest you look closely at the Jobs and Population graph in each city to determine if there is a good match between residents and the jobs.  R$$ will generally only work at $$ level jobs, R$$$ at $$$ level jobs, and so on.  Only R$ will work anywhere at anything they are qualified to do.

Remember that all buildings have a selection of jobs.  To see this selection, you need the extra cheats dll (plugin).  If you activate the query operator (/) then hold CTRL+ALT+SHIFT and move on to a building you will see a detailed summary of the building.

It is not good to encourage many more that 15% of R to be R$$$ because these people are the high professionals and will not find work.  Most of your Sims should be R$ (clerical, labourers, etc) and R$$ (knowledge workers, supervisors, etc).  If you have an overload of high-level people they will not find jobs.  You may indeed have too many Mandarins.

And one more point:  Only half of the Sims work.  The population demographic is based on Silicon Valley in about 2000.  One Sims of a couple stays home and raises the kids.  Kids of school age to to school.

You have misinterpreted what is going on in your city.  When your Sims abandon a building due to commute time they do not move, they just simply disappear, gone.  Secondly, most of the time when a building abandons due to commute time is not that the commute is too long, especially if you have the NAM installed, but more likely that the jobs do not exist for those Sims at all.  Create some jobs for them to work at.  Lastly, if your Sims are making it to the edge of the city tile, that is the end of their commute for that city tile.  The current city tile does not take into account the commute time of the sim once it is in another city tile, only the data collected on your Sims in that city tile will be counted, basically, the edge of the city tile is a job.

The best way to confirm what I have said here would be to save your game, then bulldoze your neighbor connection, you will see that those Sims will still abandon their buildings due to commute time, even without the neighbor connection.

If the buildings that being abandoned due to commute time are low wealth, create some low wealth CS$ jobs or dirty industry jobs.  If the buildings that becoming abandoned due to commute time are medium wealth buildings grow some medium wealth CS$$ or CO$$ or manufacturing industry.  If the buildings that are becoming abandoned due to commute time are high wealth buildings grow some CO$$$ or high-tech industry.  

Unfortunately though for you, most of those abandoned buildings will never return to their full former glory unless you can create some SERIOUS demand for those people to come back and I mean a super surplus, say the building capacity of the abandoned building is 500 R$$ then you need to create a surplus of demand more than double that to make that building return to it's previous glory and even then, no guarantees.

Follow your demand meters.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you all! I'm sorry that I couldn't clarify on my situation,I just realized that when it was too late :/ Anyways,I'll be taking both your advice into count,you guys are very helpful! Thank you!

Secondly, most of the time when a building abandons due to commute time is not that the commute is too long, especially if you have the NAM installed, but more likely that the jobs do not exist for those Sims at all.

You can change "most of the time" to "all of the time" here, as the commute is never  actually too long when using the NAM.  Also, it is very possible that jobs do exist for the Sims in such circumstances; it's just that the traffic simulator (and specifically the destination finder) doesn't think they're close enough to the Sims' residences; this is despite the fact that the Sims have essentially infinite commute time.  But it also explains why putting in a lot of subways and stops in your city often helps this situation, as subways convince the destination finder that the Sims will be able to make it to their jobs after all.

And of course, when the pathfinder runs, the Sims have no trouble in doing so.

The recently-released new version of the NAM traffic simulator contained in the also helps cut down on abandonment due to commute time a bit more.  This is the first version of the NAM traffic simulator released in almost four years that has been able to make progress in this area, as this problem is very difficult to address without access to the game's source code.

Unfortunately though for you, most of those abandoned buildings will never return to their full former glory unless you can create some SERIOUS demand for those people to come back and I mean a super surplus, say the building capacity of the abandoned building is 500 R$$ then you need to create a surplus of demand more than double that to make that building return to it's previous glory and even then, no guarantees.

It depends.  A lot has to do with the size of the abandoned buildings.  If these buildings are small, then it is not too hard to get them restored, provided that you supply positive demand and desirability.  But if the abandoned buildings are huge skyscrapers, it's a lot more difficult, because you need a lot more demand of a given type present at one time to get them to restore.

This process also works somewhat better with the newer NAM traffic simulator.