Sign in to follow this  
stormlover

Columbus Terrain Mod

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I left this game long ago and am now returning. All I want to start with is a couple of the most basic things; the NAM and better terrain. 

When I last played I could modify the Columbus Terrain Mod to set the snow level wherever I wanted but now when I try to "read" the mod file all I get is gibberish. So I download software that can read a zillion file types and still I can't look inside the mod. 

I could vomit a stream of curse words to say what I think of custom content in video games in general but I have a lot of experience in this game....and still I'm stuck. Why is it I could read and modify that mod before but now all I see is jibberish?

The parameters to change in order to alter the snow line are, in order of preference, TemperatureRangeFactor or MaxTerrainHeight. Changing one of those is enough.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you -- I'd completely forgotten about iLive's reader but now do remember how important that ancient yet oh so useful mod is.

It's going to take a while re-adjusting to SC4 because it's been so long since I played but I'm looking forward to building my towns again. I say towns because I never did get large cities going, but that never bothered me - I was always a fanatic for realism over quantity, and the community here has always done a superb job enhancing realism in the game (even if it did require hours of weeding out lots with odd specifications, haha.) Yea, my "dream project" for SC4 was that a team would go through the lots identifying those with realistic specs and give them a star or something (wouldn't that be nice!)

On another note, I'd like to thank the community for its discussions on the newest game. Without what in your eyes would probably be beating a dead horse, I'll just say thanks for the warning.

Tim in Cape Fear, North Carolina

P.S. Uh-oh... I've got the iLive Reader now but I can't make it work properly. Seems to me there was another download explaining how to set up the reader? I can "open" the terrain file but all I see is a blank, white background instead of a list of parameters. Oh my -- I'm stuck again already, lol.

Uh-oh... I've got the iLive Reader now but I can't make it work properly. Seems to me there was another download explaining how to set up the reader? I can "open" the terrain file but all I see is a blank, white background instead of a list of parameters. Oh my -- I'm stuck again already, lol.

There should be a button in the big lower right field, which says "Fill in the list". You should click that.

• Original Poster
  • The parameters to change in order to alter the snow line are, in order of preference, TemperatureRangeFactor or MaxTerrainHeight. Changing one of those is enough.

That part I did remember but thank you again for getting me there.

1. Terrain mod with "low or lower snow."

2.) iLive Reader to acess the specifications (exemplars) then clicking the "Fill in the list" button to see the mod (also of course useful for fixing oddball lot specs.)

3.) Adjust any specification of the mod (or lot) then "apply" and "save."

I dropped the Temperature and Max Height each by 10% and now have a noticeably better (though not drastic) snow line.

Thank you.

Just for the sake of details, when using the Reader, there are two "apply" buttons to click. I've also been advised to right click inside the right pane and select Reindex Lotconfig before saving the file. Not sure if that has to be done for every change, but I do it anyways just in case I'm suppose to.

I'm also using .9.3, not the newest one.

Well, that's how terrain mods work. Typically, only the beach, rock, and water textures are not handled by the terrain mod.

Of course, technically, the answer to your question is "yes". It's a mod. In principle, you can swap every texture you want. That's quite involved, though.

Not with a fixed installation. The only way to do this is to swap terrain mods every time you switch between cities. That gets old fast.

Of course, there would be a possibility to achieve that with the map. If you have a terrain mod that has desert at low elevation and meadows at high elevation, you could just choose your map accordingly.