Sign in to follow this  
RodFlanders

What am I doing wrong with this mining town?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Long story short. I have about 11 coal and ore plants, fully equipped. I have two trade ports, each with all trucks populated, full coal and ore storage, and both have freight rail connections.

Now the problem. I can't seem to sell more than 480k metals per day, which means I can only get the first metals/trade upgrade (I picked commerce division and metals division already respectively).

Many of my coal/ore mines are closed and full at times, and both trade ports end up full of coal at 400 each frequently.

My city has next to no traffic issues... What gives? Why can't I make more cash and get to the smelting and advanced coal mine expansions??

Spark_2013-03-26_22-06-57_zps350816d4.pn

You will make a lot more money from Alloy than coal and ore.  And all you need to make alloy is ... coal and ore.

So I would try switching some of the coal plants out and replace them with smelting factories.  You will obviously need to rejig your trade ports to store the alloy.  But once that's done you should be making a lot more money.

• Original Poster
  • The problem was I couldn't get a smelting plant because I couldn't seem to make enough cash... But I just kept adding trading ports and that eventually did the trick.

Now I have a smelter, so now I can hopefully sell alloy to the point that I can upgrade one last time.

I picked commerce division and metals division already respectively

Buying both the metals HQ commerce division upgrade and the trade HQ metals upgrade is silly since they provide the same unlocks. I'd say that picking the wrong upgrade here has the potential to badly a screw up your city.

What you should have done is build the smelting division first followed by the metals division at the trade HQ (shifting enough goods for the next unlocks is hard without trade ports)

• Original Poster
  • I picked commerce division and metals division already respectively

Buying both the metals HQ commerce division upgrade and the trade HQ metals upgrade is silly since they provide the same unlocks. I'd say that picking the wrong upgrade here has the potential to badly a screw up your city.

What you should have done is build the smelting division first followed by the metals division at the trade HQ (shifting enough goods for the next unlocks is hard without trade ports)

Yes!  After I typed that out I sort of realized that I doubled up.  I'm going to see if I can save some cash, and bulldoze the commerce division and replace it with the opne that I can actually use... hpefully bulldozing it will open up theother one for placement.

Try shutting down your exports until your trade depots are full, and then start exporting again right after your trade report comes out. (After midnight)

Also, you can open a recycling plant, and just extract Alloy, this will give you another nice bump.

I had this same problem until they changed the global market prices recently.  I was building mines and depots like crazy.  My new city now only has 1 coal mine and 1 ore mine and I was able to upgrade to the smelting factory.