Sign in to follow this  
weltall

Which mods would make SC4 more relaxed and enjoyable?

26 posts in this topic Last Reply

SimCity (2013) is out and I feel split about buying it or not, mostly because of the price currently but also the always online part. Still after watching all those videos I felt like playing SC4 once more. Last time I tried I got help form here and managed to slap together a handful of mods. Honestly I probably messed up something (or something I added decided to take revenge) and it messed up my game. I did not mind it of course because up to that point I have taken my feel of the SC4 plugins.

Now I return and try to re-download NAM, and I see that before a handful of days it released a version with a lot of addons I have been using, merged into it. The only mods afar from these I remember are the Roadtop Mass Transit (just loved the bus stations not taking space), the bridge plugin that let me build bridges at any height and CAM

Looking around I found out that actually CAM seems to have the option to promote walking, which I would love to have. Also I added two plugins this time, one to double the industry jobs, and thus save space and one to double the coverage radius of buildings. 

All suggestions are welcome :D I hope everybody is having a great day.

As a returning player, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to do a restart.  To do that, simply delete your <userid>\Documents\SimCity 4 folder and start the game.  It will put you in default unless you have done the CAM merge with the game files, in which case a reinstall with appropriate patches is needed for a cold start.

You can always archive your old game, and start over with one of the new digital downloads.  This gets all the patches and plays without a disk in the drive.

As for starting point, after you get yourself organized, I'd start with NAM V30 for convenience and wait for NAM V31.1 (fixed V31) for comfort.  When V31.1 comes out, install it, then do an inventory of what you have.  With V31 you get anything NAM related including some lots (surprise!).  After that, add what you want, slowly, testing as you go.

• Original Poster
  • Hello there Moose. Thanks for replying and like the first time I came on the forums helping me. For better or worse, since I did something wrong and messed up the save, I stopped considering the SimCity directory as something to backup. My computer has been formatted since then, so there is nothing else from that time. I am not sure what I have done with CAM though, I jsut liked the idea of getting me a ultra huge Megalopolis.

I have up to the latest patch Maxis provided (it ends with 40 I think), and as for the disk in my drive, since I have now external hard drives and huge usb thumb drives, my two dvd recorders have been kind of sitting there doing nothing except really rare occasions. I do not mind using the disk, except of course when the day comes and the disk will not be able to play more. A friend of mine told me that I can digitalize the copy I have with origin or something, but it is not like I do not have to spend 5 euro. 

I have already added NAM 31, but if it needs a fix before I play with it, I will go and get 30. I feel excited already and I have not started playing yet XD

SimCity (2013) is out and I feel split about buying it or not, mostly because of the price currently but also the always online part. Still after watching all those videos I felt like playing SC4 once more. Last time I tried I got help form here and managed to slap together a handful of mods. Honestly I probably messed up something (or something I added decided to take revenge) and it messed up my game. I did not mind it of course because up to that point I have taken my feel of the SC4 plugins.

Now I return and try to re-download NAM, and I see that before a handful of days it released a version with a lot of addons I have been using, merged into it. The only mods afar from these I remember are the Roadtop Mass Transit (just loved the bus stations not taking space), the bridge plugin that let me build bridges at any height and CAM

Looking around I found out that actually CAM seems to have the option to promote walking, which I would love to have. Also I added two plugins this time, one to double the industry jobs, and thus save space and one to double the coverage radius of buildings. 

Don't get SimCity 2013 you will regret it lol. I have it and it is very boring. They only give you a tiny piece of land to build on, of course you can choose more tiles but they're all small. You run out of room in a  hour or two of building. And it is so easy to win in, they really dumbed it down so there is no challenge to play it. It does do a few things better than SC4, like the graphics and other small things.

But if you want a challenge and more freedom to do what you want, I would stay away from SimCity 2013. I havent logged into that game in 3 weeks lol.

• Original Poster
  • Don't get SimCity 2013 you will regret it lol. I have it and it is very boring. They only give you a tiny piece of land to build on, of course you can choose more tiles but they're all small. You run out of room in a  hour or two of building. And it is so easy to win in, they really dumbed it down so there is no challenge to play it. It does do a few things better than SC4, like the graphics and other small things.

But if you want a challenge and more freedom to do what you want, I would stay away from SimCity 2013. I havent logged into that game in 3 weeks lol.

Difficulty is not the only problem. Reviews and complaints are the only things floating around. I really dislike the idea of waiting in line to get on the server and I hate the idea of losing my save progress just because of unstable internet. I have kind of experienced the first moments of the new SimCity as I was at a friend's house who did not mind spending the money to get it as soon as possible. We ended up playing Munchkin (a card game), just to wait on the problematic servers. The game looked stunning and it was all nice to zoom in and look at everything.

Still, my realy problem was. I did not really like the philosophy of "always online". I am guessing in the future the game will be patched in a way for players to be able to play offline, except if Maxis is either thinking of keeping these servers up for ever, or rendering the game unplayable after so long. I am really confused with what to do with the new SimCity, but the worst of all is that I am worried that if i buy it and I will have problems, I will end up disliking a game that I loved since I was a little kid and I first played on my Super Nintendo.

Probably all of them. We have great building mods which are nearly replics of real life buildings, Network Mods which are awesome like the NAM and subsets such as the RHW (Highways), HSRP (High Speed Rail), Tulep,...

The CAM is great for new higher buildings.

Well, just probably all mods are good for the game. This game will always beat Simcity 2013 even without mods, so with mods, we will crush it!

regarding the CAM mod...

what does it actually do?  i downloaded it from the LEX but haven't installed it yet...does it vary the growable buildings or something like that?  also, are there any dependencies to it?  i didn't see anything in the readme but saw a few comments from people saying they were getting the brown boxes and what not.

thanks.

CAM makes it possible to grow higher buildings. Growable lots are ranged in size ranging from 1 - 10. 10 is a skyscraper while 1 is a hotdog parlor or a caravan. CAM expands it to 1-15 so you can build higher skyscrapers with more jobs or residents

CAM - Colossal Addon Mod is an expansion pack that increases the number of city play levels from 8 to 15.  It comes with a new demand model and changes the jobs model from 2 Sims per job to 1:1.  It also is only properly installed by following the exacting instructions to update your game residency in program files.  Be sure you get a backup of anything you change.  If you get this wrong, you'll have to back out and start over.

Spend some time with the readme, and you might well spend some time in the CAM threads at SC4Devotion.  This is no less serious a mod than the NAM and neither of these can be approached casually.

All in all, I recommend NAM first, CAM later.  Get some playing experience in between.

You need to start a new region when you install CAM.

thanks for letting me know about the new region moose...the last thing i want to do at this point is start over with a new region.

but...if you and the others on here feel that CAM is a must-have Modd, then i'll suck it up and start over.

regarding the CAM mod...

what does it actually do?  i downloaded it from the LEX but haven't installed it yet...does it vary the growable buildings or something like that?  also, are there any dependencies to it?  i didn't see anything in the readme but saw a few comments from people saying they were getting the brown boxes and what not.

thanks.

Like katherman111 said, it adds growth stages. When you don't download any buildings with higher stages than 10 you wouldn't notice the difference (excluding some differences in demand/jobs that may occur), so if you want a higher variety of buildings you could download more lots. Those lots aren't included in CAM, it just gives the possibility. I haven't had the problem with brown boxes, those are the result of missing dependencies. Buildings turning in brown boxes after installing CAM would seem quite strange, I have no knowledge about the specific cases though, so I can't say what the cause could be in these cases. You can however install CAM without worrying about every building in your city turning into brown boxes.

regarding the CAM mod...

thanks.

Like katherman111 said, it adds growth stages. When you don't download any buildings with higher stages than 10 you wouldn't notice the difference (excluding some differences in demand/jobs that may occur), so if you want a higher variety of buildings you could download more lots. Those lots aren't included in CAM, it just gives the possibility. I haven't had the problem with brown boxes, those are the result of missing dependencies. Buildings turning in brown boxes after installing CAM would seem quite strange, I have no knowledge about the specific cases though, so I can't say what the cause could be in these cases. You can however install CAM without worrying about every building in your city turning into brown boxes.

Thanks...yeah i just saw the dependency issue in the comments section when i downloaded CAM, but i just wrote it off to someone's misunderstanding.

CAM isn't really "required", to  add more lots (for variety or what). Most custom content assumes a non-CAM installation, ie with the growth stages being 1-8 for R and C lots and 1-3 for I lots. Much of the custom content is badly modded unfotrunately, with the stats not set in line with the ingame stuff. For example, I remember a very tall 4x4 CO$$$ skyscraper, offering thousands of jobs, which had almost all statistics set really correctly, only the creator had set the growth stage to... 6! The result was to overtake my cities! Growth stage should have definitely been set to 8 instead. Obviously the creator wanted to make it grow easier, but this was way off!

Custom content that requires CAM, is marked either as a CAMelot (growth stage >8 ), or as CAMpatible (growth stage ≤8, but compatible to CAM, featuring inclusion into occupant groups etc). And the non-CAM custom content generally works with CAM too,

If you are about to install CAM, take into account the following:

- Due to the extra growth stages, it may actually take longer to get big buildings (although the buildings in CAMelots are very big).

- You must patch your simcity_1.dat file with CAM, for the regional statistics to be calculated correctly, otherwise some are double count, and the result is to need the double number of jobs, to support a certain population level. Backup everyhting (simicty installation, plugins, and your region), befire attempting this!!!

- The above patching must be done BEFORE you start developing your region. That is, a region started without having CAM installed should continue to be developed the same way (without CAM and any CAMelots), and a region started with CAM should only be devleoped with CAM. By "developed", I mean ANY action, even opening and saving a ctiy tile withoiut doing anything else. Otherwise regional statistics will be wrong.

• Original Poster
  • Even when I used CAM (even now) I never really installed any CAMeLots. The reason is that I did not know which files I needed and the only time that I tried to get SimGoombers (did i say that right?) CAMeLots, I failed and never tried again. He had some mega packs, but honestly, I am not sure if I installed them all right or not. I jsut know it did not work right. Does anyone on here know of a good CAMeLot with many stages? I would appreciate if you could direct me towards what to download to finally have more than the normal stages and not mess it up while doing it.

Looking around I found out that actually CAM seems to have the option to promote walking, which I would love to have.

That option (actually, the equivalent to "promote biking", which actually has nothing to do with bikes, but simply promotes walking more) is a standard part of the NAM traffic simulator.  You should not install the CAM traffic simulator, as it has been obsolete for many years, and it will override the NAM traffic simulator.  If you have installed the CAM traffic simulator, it will appear in your z_CAM folder, and you should delete it.

The provided links doesn't work..

Really? After you noticing me that the links don't work, I click the link and all of them work. There should be a strange thing happened with you, or you are not registered/logged in that exchange.

Don't get SimCity 2013 you will regret it lol. I have it and it is very boring. They only give you a tiny piece of land to build on, of course you can choose more tiles but they're all small. You run out of room in a  hour or two of building. And it is so easy to win in, they really dumbed it down so there is no challenge to play it. It does do a few things better than SC4, like the graphics and other small things.

There are definite pluses to Simcity2013. I like all the options of services upgrading, instead of having to plop a million hospitals or schools or PD/FDs or power plants. I like the option to specialize. I like all the data maps. Other than that, SC4 is where it's at. Am waiting for NAM 31.1 before I install it. 

Having said that, I probably would buy SC2013 if (and that's a HUGE if) they get the bugs worked out....grass on the road, anyone?

Look at these sections of the BSC:

1. R CAMeLots

2. CO CAMeLots

3. CS CAMeLots

4. I CAMeLots

5. I-A CAMeLots

It is harder to find the CAMeLots building that available here, but NDEX BATs are probably what you want.

Sure they do.  You have to have accounts on both SC4Devotion and the associated LEX.  Two separate free registrations.

About SC 2013.  It sure looks like a fun game for kids.  I have a problem with the DRM feature with always on line and the implication in their EULA that they will snoop in your machine.  This is a privacy violation in my view, and I simply won't buy it.

• Original Poster
  • Thank you for the lot links and of course for the tip about CAM traffic simulator. Now all I need is to read about the different varieties of the NAM's traffic simulator and choose best, although I think the normal one will be just fine. I am once more glad I asked on here :D Makes playing SC4 even better.

As for the new SC. Great as it may be, for me it does not worth its 60$ price (even though it can be found for 40$ in Amazon. It is not so much all the addons that SC4 has or it being easier or harder. I am thrown off from the online necessity and all the glitches I am reading about. The price is already down to 40$, and soon I can see it hitting 30$. Then again even if it plummet to 20$, I am sure a lot of DLC will appear, like it happens with all new games, and the difference of price will be gained from the DLC.

What's always a good thing to have in SC4 for a more relaxed feel is any mod, plop, or whatever that drives in large amounts of money.  It makes for a more open, free, more of a sandbox mode for the game without financial limitations.

• Original Poster
  • What's always a good thing to have in SC4 for a more relaxed feel is any mod, plop, or whatever that drives in large amounts of money.  It makes for a more open, free, more of a sandbox mode for the game without financial limitations.

I would not mind that, but only after I expanded the city quite enough. Not that I would not like to just build, build and build, but one of my favorite parts in the new SimCities is the micromanagement, where you have to keep raising and lowering expenses until everything gets stable.

Look at these sections of the BSC:

1. R CAMeLots

2. CO CAMeLots

3. CS CAMeLots

4. I CAMeLots

5. I-A CAMeLots

It is harder to find the CAMeLots building that available here, but NDEX BATs are probably what you want.

Sure they do.  You have to have accounts on both SC4Devotion and the associated LEX.  Two separate free registrations.

I'm sorry, The dumb monkey is so attention demanding, I didnt catch the tiny text.  And with such a rigid registration process it really should be a picture of a Vogon (The Hitchhiker's Guide), even if it's free.

About SC 2013.  It sure looks like a fun game for kids.  I have a problem with the DRM feature with always on line and the implication in their EULA that they will snoop in your machine.  This is a privacy violation in my view, and I simply won't buy it.

Yes, it's a game for kids. And the "Always online" DRM is horrible, allthough Ubisofts recent "3 times limited install" DRM is imo far worse..

• Original Poster
  • Companies and anyone actually does not need any secret doors to peek what we have in out computers. Be it you have a firewall or whatnot, as soon as you go online, people cna look in your computer. There are only a handful of people that know what to do to block others from viewing the computer of their content, compared at least to the majoring of the people that do not know much. Then again I do not see any way many people using two computers, one as their normal computer and the second computer as their firewall. But still no matter what, even f you go anonymous online through any means, there will always be a line connected on your computer and if companies with a lot of money want to find out what you have in your pc, they will just pay to find the end of it. 

Not minding all the ways companies are struggling to fight piracy, the fact that, at least I have read so, disconnecting leads to loss of the save, is what makes me the most unhappy. As soon as they will find a way to make it so either a temporary dis-connection, will not lead to loss of the save or even if the save will temporarily be saved in the pc, I will be happy. My internet connection is not the best and it is quite unstable all the time. I can already see myself getting all mad and going berserk on the city that I have built up to a point.

auA1TaD.png