Sign in to follow this  
blue_francis14

Commuter City

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello to everyone,

So far I am really enjoying the game. I think it's because it has a gameplay like the one in Settlers/Surf City back in the DOS age. One part I really like was the trading of goods. Though not as heirarical as Settlers, it kept me till 6:00 am! More so than Civ V! Though the always online is a bummer, it does saved my save games (or maybe what I really want is an autosave feature) when the game overheats my laptop. (Yeah, it did that twice now). I don't know why but it depends on how it crunches data I guess.

Anyway, I am having trouble with my cities especially my industry as it always shuts down because of lack of workers. Is it possible to build a city filled with residential lots? And make them commute to a city with all the work and school?

I'm trying to do that with my new region, but I'm failing so far... One city with all the industries, mining and basic services, and the neighboor city with R and C only (and education)... Train and Bus system linking them... but people won't just commute! My industrial city is failing for lack of workers and my Residential one, for lack of jobs (therefore, both near bankruptcy...). Dunno what else to do!

I'm trying to do that with my new region, but I'm failing so far... One city with all the industries, mining and basic services, and the neighboor city with R and C only (and education)... Train and Bus system linking them... but people won't just commute! My industrial city is failing for lack of workers and my Residential one, for lack of jobs (therefore, both near bankruptcy...). Dunno what else to do!

I have a similar problem. I am able to get my citizens to commute but not enough of them.

Out of curiosity, what's the number of open high wealth jobs in your industrial city? I have no $$$ in either city and I'm starting to think that is the problem. All of the open job listings probably require a bunch of high level management before the $$ and $ can be filled.

I'm gonna check that now... I just had to zone some few R areas at my industry city to keep it from going totally abandoned... Thought that maybe the basic services needed locals to work on them instead of commuters.. let's see.

I started experimenting with this last night as well. I'm kind of in the same situation. I haven't completely moved over my industry jobs to the second city so my first city is still in good shape. I know people are commuting for various things, but the industry jobs aren't being filled in the second city. Will they only commute for certain jobs? 

I would think the easiest way to do this would be with an entirely residential city.  I made several like that but I didn't really pay attention to (or care) if and how people were employed.  An all residential city is the easiest type to make since 90% of crimes are committed in I and C areas, thus there is virtually no crime (when properly educated).  Just be sure to have plenty of parks.

I would think the easiest way to do this would be with an entirely residential city.  I made several like that but I didn't really pay attention to (or care) if and how people were employed.  An all residential city is the easiest type to make since 90% of crimes are committed in I and C areas, thus there is virtually no crime (when properly educated).  Just be sure to have plenty of parks.

That's a good thought... Probably my few C areas are already employing everybody in town (kinda buggy, since the proportion isn't really realistic for that)... I'll try re-zoning C for R and check if people will commute to work at my industrial / mining city.

It works I have a few RCI region's on the 3 city region map.  All residential in 1 city, all commercial in another city, and all industrial in the 3rd city.  They are all connected by Train and bus.  Majority of workers and shoppers (they become tourists in commercial city) go by train and bus and walk.  Mass transit is key.

It is very buggy by the way.  The residential city has major issues with money, even though they all commute to work, the game registers them as unemployed or something dumb.  Horrible traffic issues.

The commercial city is extremely successful, like 25k tourists and I only used like 1/5 the map.  Horrible traffic issues.

The industrial city is pretty boring, just workers coming in, and leaving.  I use it to power the other cities, water, sewage, and pay for emergency services.