Sign in to follow this  
Jochem285

Missions/Challenges

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forums, so this might already been asked before.. 

So back in the day of Simcity 3000 I remember playing mission maps (Like solving problems in Berlin etc.), and except for the tutorial maps I haven't seen this kind of maps back in Simcity 4. Is it even possible to export cities (not the regions/maps, but the cities themselves)? Is there a reason that no one makes challenge maps with a certain goal (or am I missing these?)

I hope you guys can help me with this burning question!

Peace

I'd also be interested in this, pre-made cities with specific problems you have to over come. I think in 2/3000 they called them scenarios. 

Besides the one in the tutorial, I'm afraid there isn't any scenario city in SC4...though if you're looking for some catastrophic situations , I'll happily share with you my cities saves :P

• Original Poster
  •  I'll happily share with you my cities saves :P

So I can actually load one other's city saves? Why are there no saves on the lex/stex?

Sure you can. Why there's no saves then? Because 99 % of SC4 players play the game with custom plugins, and everybody uses different ones.

If I give you one of my city  saves, you'll have millions of brown boxes when you open it, unless you have the exact same plugins as I do...

Hmm.  I actually think this would be something interesting to do.

I mean, if you have a million plugins, but you load a city that was created using NO PLUGINS, things would work fine, correct?  Like, it doesn't hurt to have more plugins than what's necessary.  It would only be problematic if you had fewer plugins then what the save file used.  So in that regard, couldn't these "missions" or "scenarios" on the STEX just list dependencies in the very same way that any other STEX download lists dependencies?  And good scenario creators would be wise to limit themselves to only the very most popular plugins?

Like for example, I upload a scenario and in the description, I'd be sure to make note of:

1) The problems facing the city or region that I'm uploading, basically a synopsis of where they're at right now.

2) The goal--what the player is expected to accomplish, perhaps stipulating a time limit, or maybe some extra challenge (like perhaps something like "The citizens of this region refuse to fund public mass transit!") so the player is supposed to not build passenger train stations, subway systems, bus system, GLR, etc.

3) Any dependencies.  And as I said before, the good scenario maker would be wise to limit the plugins to only very common, very popular plugins.  Like, NAM should pretty much be a given that's okay to include in every scenario, but after that, start treading carefully.