Sign in to follow this  
arbogli

Traffic Jam... at city entrance!

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi friends, I'd like to ask about the traffic jam but not inside the city, but at the city entrance.

I always have that problem... and I tried almost everything I imagined, the "best" solution I found is not having intersections near to que entrance, but still I have a lot of troubles in most of my cities. How do you avoid this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks.

• Original Poster
  • I tried too... but still a pain in the ass, I can manage to have a pretty low traffic troubles in my city, but I can't no nothing with this, just infinite jams in the highway waiting to get into the city :(

PS: i even tryed demolishing one side on the avenue, opening the other, but even if ti works at the moment I can't be all the time doing that.

Hi friends, I'd like to ask about the traffic jam but not inside the city, but at the city entrance.

I always have that problem... and I tried almost everything I imagined, the "best" solution I found is not having intersections near to que entrance, but still I have a lot of troubles in most of my cities. How do you avoid this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks.

I had that happening to me when I played solo or duo with a friend. Took me a while but I figured it was simply because there was no other destination for sims to go to in the region!

Just go to 1 or 2 of the connected by road maps and start temporary layouts real quick. All I do is I connect the highway, create about 2k residential + power+water+ city hall.

Wait a bit, you should see a drastic change in that outside of your city traffic jam. It's not instant but it doesn't take long.

If it's still not enough, do it on the other empty map that's close by.

If you are playing multiplayers and there's people everywhere then it's your road layout.

I have 24 hr grid lock out side the city lost a 800K gift. I looked at my population stats 500,000 visitors to my city with no tourist attractions. My tourist city with loads of attractions and venues  had 39 visitors.

80% of my population were visitors. I have  a population of 100k ish. Another city in the region of 16 has 280k with no industry. I have really come to a grinding halt on this region.

To get traffic into the city faster, eliminate intersections near the entrance, and build avenue bypasses directly to the areas where shipments are needed; intersect these avenues only with low and medium density streets so that traffic is free-flowing on the main road. Place park and ride lots near the entrance so that commuters entering the city will take the bus to their final destinations. Check your population graph and see why so many people are trying to come to your city. If it is because of commuters, you need to either increase the number of workers in the city, or find a way to get more jobs into the cities that are sending the commuters.

Cause and effect.  Check your population details.  Unless your a tourist city, the traffic is usually the effect of improper zoning, such as too much/not enough commercial, too many/not enough jobs etc.   People are leaving/entering the city for these reasons.   Find the cause, rezone.   Eliminate the cause, eliminate the traffic.

For the most part its impossible to get a city in balance so there will always be traffic.  Mass transit helps here.   Good luck.

Cause and effect.  Check your population details.  Unless your a tourist city, the traffic is usually the effect of improper zoning, such as too much/not enough commercial, too many/not enough jobs etc.   People are leaving/entering the city for these reasons.   Find the cause, rezone.   Eliminate the cause, eliminate the traffic.

For the most part its impossible to get a city in balance so there will always be traffic.  Mass transit helps here.   Good luck.

^^^ What he said.

Traffic at the entrance is almost always caused by a balance issue.  Balance your city population and your traffic problems should go away. 

• Original Poster
  • Quite difficult, moren than the 75% of my region is residential and still I need workers.... anyway, the game just get an "stopped working properly" and now I can't get in, so..... you can fugire out. :cry:

Quite difficult, moren than the 75% of my region is residential and still I need workers.... anyway, the game just get an "stopped working properly" and now I can't get in, so..... you can fugire out. :cry:

If 75% of your city is residential and you still need workers then you either need higher density residential or you need to de-zone some of your industry or retail.  Or all of the above.

To get higher density you need more parks and upgraded roads.

Traffic isn't an issue as long as it moves. All big cities have heavy traffic due to the sheer number of things going on; the only thing that matters is whether vehicles can get where they need to go on time. If you have traffic jams stretching into the wee hours of the morning on a regular basis, that's a good sign that your traffic issues are more serious.

changing the existing road to a medium density and using medium density roads at either end of it (right on the map edge) will prevent traffic lights, thus allowing for slightly better traffic flow. do the map edge cross section first or you will keep hitting the unable to join section thing.. im sure being able to do this is a bug so i wouldn't rely on it, but it atleased helps for now.

2ahwn46.png

also when building your city, if resources, wind direction and all that stuff allow, plan to have your high wealth residents on the small side of the highway - this will greatly reduce traffic congestion.

Try to make it so no one needs cross or travel it for any reason beyond $$$ residents, police, ambulance and fire freight... i generally build my city with 4 - 6 parallel avenues for the purpose of travel, which results in my utility services freight and $$$ residents being the only ones who really use the one that is connected to the main city connection.

simply put have your police ambulance garbage collection etc travel north to south and south to north, and your workers and shoppers going east to west, west to east.. unfortunately this game limits creativity due to the cascade style of simulation. this cascade styles can easiest be dealt with by building a cascade style city: one like i mentioned above or possible a circular city "i am yet to try circles

Edit: added second picture

2zz6smw.png

in the above picture u can see my planned setup for police medical and fire, my next 2 changes is to delete the second fire and medical center in north east section and place them near the southern most police station so it will basically mirror the northern end - the circle in the center is my $$$ residents and it will have a mirrored circle to the west of it.. this is my university town so it is only going to be small. but needs to be self sustainable.

P.S i did have plans for trade ports and other things thus the useless road lay out in the south east corner, i have also just moved my $ residents from the north east to the south west, and moved my factory's to the east instead of being where the $ residents now are so i have alot of "fixing" still remaining.. but i hope these pictures point out what i am trying to say

i have learned much since building this city, and realise that if this city was gonig to be a 'major" city then all of my zones would need to be swapped around, but as this is only going to be a small density city i can get away with how it is.