Sign in to follow this  
simcity385

Game crashing

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

My game seems to spontaeously crash without any warning. Any ideas on how to fix this? I did wonder if it's an overload of files. I don't use many mods though I have a number of BATs from the exchange. Not really sure how to identify files that me be casuing a crash.

Hi all,

My game seems to spontaeously crash without any warning. Any ideas on how to fix this? I did wonder if it's an overload of files. I don't use many mods though I have a number of BATs from the exchange. Not really sure how to identify files that me be casuing a crash.

I've had the same problem with my computer. I think it's a problem with your video-card (since it is an old game). I have set my render settings on 'software render', you can find this in the settings of Simcity 4. This helped a lot, for a strange reason I solved it completely when I connected my TV as screen (on VGA). 

Neither of you have supplied enough information to give you a decent answer.  The following information is needed to give you possible solutions to crashing:

1. Game build level.  Some versions of the game require some published patches.  If you downloaded your game from a recognized vendor you probably have version 1,1,641 which is the latest and greatest.  If not, find the file SimCity 4.exe using windows explorer.  On Vista or later, hover your mouse over it and the level should be reported.  Post that please.  Pre-Vista right click on the file and open the properties page.  Open the version tab, and report.
  2. Platform.  If you have multiple cores or are running any version of Windows later than Windows 98, please also post a description of your machine and the status (updates) of your operating system.

You might be interested to know that there are several versions of the game, and all can be converged.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Moose

I can't find a .exe file. Would that be because I run the game from it's CD-ROM? It's SimCity4 Deluxe. My operating system is windows vista using an AMD Phenom II x4 955 processor.

Before it started crashing the game did annoyingly show a window that would pop up and say something along the lines of "ordinace toggle on/off", well, it was simialr to that wording anyway. Made me suspect my city ordinace mod. Though I've had that for a while.

If you are running from the CD, you are missing both patches.  The first one, EP1, is a set of bug fixes, so it is not surprising you crash.  Why have you not installed the game on your HDD?  It has to be there in order to apply patches.

If by running from the CD, you mean you have disk 2 in the drive and start from a shortcut on your desktop, the location of the .exe file is in the shortcut's target window.  I'd be surprised if it is not C:\program files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe.

If this is the case, you are not running from the CD, but need it because of the security/encryption mechanism of the CD released game.

I get massive crashing too, sometimes every 5 minutes or less, seems to be worse today than it was about two months ago.  I think mine CTDs because of seasonal trees.  When I delete my plugin folder everything goes back to normal and practically never crashes.  I am currently rebuilding my plugin folder.  Going to keep it somewhat simple.  I am already up to 856mb and I haven't even installed a single lot/BAT yet.  I am hoping to only tickle 1gb.  I also uninstalled a couple games I don't play or will never play again.  Freed up 20gb doing that alone.

I had all the tree heavy residential lots, and was growing full large tiles of nothing but suburban sprawl, I might as well have just completely caked the map with trees and jacked my settings all the way up.  Going to tone it down some.  It looks real pretty though....for about 10 seconds when you get past loading and zoom in and then zoom back out, instant crash as it tries to load all the trees and other props and the automata too which, with NAM31 seems to be a little more persistent than the standard it states it is, even when you turn it to medium in game.

I had dozens of mods I didn't need though for real, I had the Heavy Rail catanaries, I had spiffy traffic lights, all kinds of garbage I don't think I ever really appreciated.

I am running both of my patches though so I have at least ruled that out as a possibility, and my system is more than adequate, so that pretty much points the finger square at my mods.  That is my situation anyway.

^ have you set your system to dispatch to only one processor when you are running (-CPUcount:1)?  This seems to be required for any version of NT 6.x (Vista, W7, W8 at the moment).

A thing about trees.  Each tree is an object and the simulator visits every object each pass to see if anything needs to be updated.  Seasonal trees that change with the seasons will cause a spurt of graphics activity when the change happens, but I don't see any reason other than some kind of conflict for them to crash your game.  If you've been running in Cheetah all the time, perhaps slowing down the display rate to Rhino would help.  This is, after all, supposed to be fun, not stress.

ive been getting crashes sice I started trying to do the GLR to ground rail or anything involving trams and stations. I do get the occasional crash when I put in buildings or streets though

Your crashes are probably caused by hovering a transit enabled lot (like a tram station, for example) over a puzzle piece. This makes the game ctd. As far as I know, this is not possible to resolve, so the only solution is: be cautious!

Your occasional crashes might have to do with the multi-core problem, as described above?

Running Win XP, dual core, I crash within minutes no matter what I do, even on a vanilla install. I've set affinity to one core, launch with all the recommended flags, etc. The game loads fine, I pick a city or start a new one and what happens is the little sounds when you click on a house or building stop working within 15-30 seconds, then it's a random short time before the whole thing just drops to desktop with no error or warning. I've not been able to play for more than 10 minutes ever.

If your game was loaded from CD, did you get the necessary patches?  This game runs on XP without a hitch most of the time.  You can set the processor affinity in the Short-cut's command line (Target).  Just right click on the short-cut and select properties.  In the target line after the final quote type one space then -CPUcount:1.  If you look in the Bugs and Technical Issues forum you will find any number of references on the patches if you need them.  You don't need them if you have the digital download version.

^ have you set your system to dispatch to only one processor when you are running (-CPUcount:1)?  This seems to be required for any version of NT 6.x (Vista, W7, W8 at the moment).

A thing about trees.  Each tree is an object and the simulator visits every object each pass to see if anything needs to be updated.  Seasonal trees that change with the seasons will cause a spurt of graphics activity when the change happens, but I don't see any reason other than some kind of conflict for them to crash your game.  If you've been running in Cheetah all the time, perhaps slowing down the display rate to Rhino would help.  This is, after all, supposed to be fun, not stress.

Thank you very much Nonny, I got the SC4Launcher and figured because it listed that I have 4 cores that I could now use them, apparently this is NOT the case.  After reading your comment I decided to give it some thought and changed it to just 1 and am running JUST FINE now.  Thanks again!

The game was truly unplayable.  Good thing is, I now have the most organized pluns folder I have ever created with 2 times the downloads and taking up half the space.  I went and made a new folder and this time deleted all the readmes and the .jpeg preview pictures and got rid of all redundant or unused dependencies.  I went form 4gig and 7k files down to 1.8gig and 4.5k files and have two times the content than what I had before.  Even though I could not play my game for a while it did in the end come to a wonderful conclusion.  Smooth gameplay and twice the variety, what more can one ask for?

Now I just need to figure out the whole picture sharing thing.  I tried two different host sites and 3 different picture file types the other day, .bmp ,jpg .png, i tried two different link types as well and this site here kept on telling me that the file type is not accepted.  I will figure this out eventually.  I will eventually begin sharing my cities.

The thing about the trees....It cannot be that bad really.  After having the issues I had I looked into re-lotting them out using the lot editor, I found that there are actually always 4 trees for each seasonal tree, I do not think, that being the case, that seasonal trees could be my problem, not even a little, as my PC has to render all 4 of them constantly no matter what anyway.  I was kind of puzzled too when I clicked and deleted the tree and it was still there, deleted again, still there, again, still there on the fourth one it finally went away, I thought was losing my mind for a second, then it donned on me, "I just deleted 4 trees!", one for each season.  They are props too, not flora, another thing I did not expect, but was not surprised.

If your picture sites give you a "direct link" to the picture that is the one to use.  If the site doesn't list any links for your, make sure your picture is displayed, right click on it and use the "Copy Image Location" option (firefox).  You can then just paste the URL in the image box.

simcity4201303300952259.jpg

YAY! thanks again Nonny.  It was the direct link that does the trick.  I am so happy now, for now.

This is my mid-stage test city, where I come to test mid-stage(CAM) structures, medium and high wealth.

Now all I need tod o is learn how to edit the pictures to give them that ultra clear look.

Editing your pictures will need a good photo editor.  If you are rolling in funds get photoshop. 

If not, get the GIMP.  Be sure to download the help files, and the tutorial (Grokking the GIMP).  There are a lot of plugins, and you can get them later or all at once.  The whole of GIMP is a full scale 2D animation package.  All free, and with support.  There are some options that will help you to "sharpen" your images.

Nonny, I saw some earlier posts you made to others.  I saw you suggest getting the gimp and it's help files, I already got them a couple days ago.  Sadly they are still in my downloads folder still zipped unfortunately, I am still trying to assemble my "ultimate plugins folder" sans garbage.

On a side note, if your game is still slow to load and takes ages to switch to the "zones" view and back, you may try the SC4 Dat Packer. It probably needs a few additional dll files to make it run on your computer (see the readme), but it helps as soon as Windows starts choking on the sheer number of plugin files. Don't pack the NAM, but the rest should be fine.

I learned after the second time my game crashed to save about every ten or fifteen minutes of play. After all it only takes what 5-30 seconds to save depending on how big your city is? Also I tend to switch cities a lot so I save everytime as well