Sign in to follow this  
arbogli

University trick not working anymore?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi friends! I have a little question about the new simcity and the trick for education.

As most of you know, when you can build an university you can remove the other educational buildings because all students are the same for the game. It worked for me but now I'm having some issues with that...

In my city I have (at least as the game tells me), more than 7700 students, but everyday I don't get more than 2000 students into my university and some days even less than 700. It happens un the two cities I'm developing actually... Is a bug or just the trick doesn't work anymore?

Thanks!

Make sure that you've got good traffic flow to the university. If students can't get there on time they won't be educated and possibly make even worse traffic jams.

• Original Poster
  • I checked that, I don't have mayor traffic problems in my city. I look at the university and the first class show a little traffic jam, but it dissapeared fast. After that, too few students go to the university.

I checked that, I don't have mayor traffic problems in my city. I look at the university and the first class show a little traffic jam, but it dissapeared fast. After that, too few students go to the university.

Have you bulldozed the old bus stops? That might mess up the pathing logic.

Otherwise, you probably do have traffic problems.

• Original Poster
  • I don't have buses in this city... they only mess me up with traffic. I have bus stops but only for city commuting.

PS: and if you tell me about school buses, I never have them, I directly build the university.

Are you checking the "teaching X amount of students" ? If so, university teaches students at different hours, meaning people can go in the morning or in the afternoon or even at evening if im not wrong. 

7700 students is a lot, is the capacity of each university class big enough? I also noticed how hard it is to get them all to class, I could never get more than 80/90% at 3000 students. The problem is there are no school busses, so all the students get on the nearest bus, which goes to the nearest stop with people. So you hope that bus eventually stops at your university and lets them off, but all you can do is hope. I found it's a lot easier to get full education with high schools.

• Original Poster
  • I'll try with Higshools, bot sometime I don't want it, because I want an high-tech industry and research. (This is not the case, so I'll try it here)

If you want both tech and high education, I would suggest having both. Unfortunately that's very expensive, but since you would need two high schools for a city your size, having one uni and one high school may not be terrible.

I could never figure out if having more students made the tech bonus of the university reach farther, so don't know if it'll hurt your tech. Either way you should try to have your uni near your industry.

• Original Poster
  • So when you get a higher end building, like a high school, you can just bulldoze the elementary schools? Really? Hmm.

In theory... for the game all students are the same, so doesn't care too much about in what building you educate them.

So when you get a higher end building, like a high school, you can just bulldoze the elementary schools? Really? Hmm.

In theory... for the game all students are the same, so doesn't care too much about in what building you educate them.

This doesn't make any sense at all, so of course that's how it's set up. The same as shuttle bus depots versus municipal bus garages aka the big double decker thing?

One more thing I've noticed is that some of students attending to... say 6am class will stay in uni and attend to 9am class and by doing it taking places of those not yet enrolled. I'm not sure if it's just me reading it wrong or what but i tend to leave high school just in case.

I could never figure out if having more students made the tech bonus of the university reach farther, so don't know if it'll hurt your tech. Either way you should try to have your uni near your industry.

I haven't tested this specifically, but I seriously doubt it. Just having a connected University in the region seems to be enough to cause your Industry to tech up... In a recent game, I had Tech 3 buildings going up before I had 10k population (much less even Grade Schools.) This caused my growth to stutter quite a bit because I couldn't get my economy upright. I had low-wealth, uneducated citizens and a only disproportionately high number of high tech jobs. At 60k, I'm just now starting to get enough educated workers to fill my industry.

One more thing I've noticed is that some of students attending to... say 6am class will stay in uni and attend to 9am class and by doing it taking places of those not yet enrolled. I'm not sure if it's just me reading it wrong or what but i tend to leave high school just in case.

I tried following the numbers but they made no sense. I'd see class let out and it drops down to like 10% immediately, keeps going up then jumps up to like 70%, then keeps going up to like 120% of capacity. Can't trust the numbers I don't think.

I haven't tested this specifically, but I seriously doubt it. Just having a connected University in the region seems to be enough to cause your Industry to tech up... In a recent game, I had Tech 3 buildings going up before I had 10k population (much less even Grade Schools.) This caused my growth to stutter quite a bit because I couldn't get my economy upright. I had low-wealth, uneducated citizens and a only disproportionately high number of high tech jobs. At 60k, I'm just now starting to get enough educated workers to fill my industry.

Well if you go into tech view you can see purple lines coming out of the university following streets, and all my TV factories closer had higher tech and produced more TVs. I think the lines seemed to go away at night, and sometimes my farthest factories produced max TVs and sometimes they didn't. So I have no clue but it may affect something.

I tried following the numbers but they made no sense. I'd see class let out and it drops down to like 10% immediately, keeps going up then jumps up to like 70%, then keeps going up to like 120% of capacity. Can't trust the numbers I don't think.

Well if you go into tech view you can see purple lines coming out of the university following streets, and all my TV factories closer had higher tech and produced more TVs. I think the lines seemed to go away at night, and sometimes my farthest factories produced max TVs and sometimes they didn't. So I have no clue but it may affect something.

I'll take a look at that view. I didn't even realize it existed. I just saw my buildings teching up before I had any schools of any sort placed.

'll take a look at that view. I didn't even realize it existed. I just saw my buildings teching up before I had any schools of any sort placed.

I only found it because you can't check tech on consumer electronics factories. But in that view it shows if they want to tech up (their happiness) and I noticed the ones with green bars produced twice as many TVs as the ones with no bars.