Sign in to follow this  
nic727

Searching for mods

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

i'm new in this forum and I'm searching for different mods for SC4 deluxe edition.

That's a list of what I'm looking for :

- Weather mod (Change weather automaticly "dynamic weather")

- When creating a region, you can choose if it's "nordic" or "normal" (nordic is for snow road, ground texture, trees, etc.)

- Be able to change ground texture (like Far Cry)

- HD trees

- Cars don't disappear

- Realistic water mod

- New architecture possibility, because the default architectures are very old...

- Modern American architecture

- Modern European architecture

- Old European architecture (http://collonges.c.o.pic.centerblog.net/o/725bc86a.jpg and

http://www.forestplatform.fr/_images_a_inserer/actualite1_maison.jpg)
- Curved road mod

- Dirt road mod

I think that's all :P

Sorry if it's a lot of mod, but I'm searching for the best mod to have a nice looking SC4

Thank you very much

Welcome to Simptropolis!

Is your game updated to at least version 1.1.638...?  If not, before you do anything else, you'll need to look at this page: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?page=7  You'll need to be at version 1.1.638 before you can use any of the custom content or mods we recommend for you.  To find the game's version, you'll need to navigate to the Programs folder where you have the game installed on your hard drive (will probably be in Programs x86 if you have Windows 7), find the Maxis folder and look inside for the Apps folder.  Then open it and look for the SimCity4.exe icon.  Right click on it, select Properties, then click on the Details tab.  You'll see the game version listed there.

For some of the options you're seeking, you'll find a number of different mods.  It's truly a matter of personal preference.  So don't be surprised if people respond with a number of different recommendations.

The first plugin you will need is the  That will include options for the curved roads and dirt roads that you are interested in.

Right off hand, I see you want a mod that will keep vehicles from disappearing.  That would be the

I'll have to look at the rest of your list and update my post a bit later.  In the meantime, I'm sure there will be other members who will offer you their suggestions.

I seem to remember that the persistent automata mod is now included in the TSCT (NAM Traffic controller) and can be set when you install the NAM and the separate TSCT program (you need the Jave run time for this (JRE) from Sun Microsystems).  Anyway, in my new test version with NAM V31.  I have persistent automata on, and I don't have this mod.

Now let's see:

Hi,

i'm new in this forum and I'm searching for different mods for SC4 deluxe edition.

That's a list of what I'm looking for :

- Weather mod (Change weather automaticly "dynamic weather")

- When creating a region, you can choose if it's "nordic" or "normal" (nordic is for snow road, ground texture, trees, etc.)

- Be able to change ground texture (like Far Cry)

- HD trees

- Cars don't disappear

- Realistic water mod

- New architecture possibility, because the default architectures are very old...

- Modern American architecture

- Modern European architecture

- Old European architecture (http://collonges.c.o.pic.centerblog.net/o/725bc86a.jpg and

http://www.forestplatform.fr/_images_a_inserer/actualite1_maison.jpg)
- Curved road mod

- Dirt road mod

I think that's all :P

Sorry if it's a lot of mod, but I'm searching for the best mod to have a nice looking SC4

Thank you very much

The weather mod by xannepan is under development.  Wait for the final release unless you have considerable computer skill.

You can have one terrain mod, of which there are several including a couple of snow capped mountains ones.  However, if you just want seasonal snow, enter CTRL+xsnowCTRL+m when you open a city.  Snow comes down from higher elevations to lower.  The terrain mod is for the entire game, and once you open a city with it, you cannot change it.

You can change the appearance of the water with one of several mods.  Be aware that there is only one water table at sea level.  There is "ploppable" water but it is not navigable -- strictly eye candy.

HD trees depend on having an HD terrain mod.  I don't know of any.

Curved/dirt roads are including in NAM V31 (current public beta).

Different tile sets are not available since the set that we have is hard coded.  However, you may be able to find custom buildings you like on the various exchanges.

This is a legacy game, released in 2003.  Some TLC is needed as well as some command options to cope with modern hardware.

If you loaded this game from CDs there are two patches you need.  If you downloaded it recently from Amazon, GamersGate, Steam or Origin, it is fully patched and ready to accept all custom content.

When you tell us what machine you have (details, please) and what revision of the game you have we can give you better answers.

I seem to remember that the persistent automata mod is now included in the TSCT (NAM Traffic controller) and can be set when you install the NAM and the separate TSCT program (you need the Jave run time for this (JRE) from Sun Microsystems).  Anyway, in my new test version with NAM V31.  I have persistent automata on, and I don't have this mod.

I know there is an automata controller in the NAM, but the mod I recommended is a modified version of that.  However, I'm not familiar with any changes that may have been made to the controller included with NAM V31.  (I'm still using V30.)  So by all means, if it is the same as the mod I linked to, then go with the NAM's version.  No point in downloading what would amount to a redundant option.

EDIT:  Wait a second....Nonny, are you saying the Persistent Automata Mod I linked to requires the JRE from Sun? 

Interessting... Never heard about persistent automata nor snow mod.

Guess i'll try them very soon, since i'm losing more and more interest into 2013... Thanks to have make me aware of their existence ;)

Btw, I remember a few years ago that CAM "huge" (>1Gig) buildings compilation pack (including deps) was available (on sc4d if I remember correctly) but I can't find it anymore...

And i'm far too lazy to choose+dl+install dozens of individual camlots + deal with deps issues, and playing without CAM feels to uniform to me.

Anyone know what happened to that big package ? Or even better... have a link to it ?

Anyone know what happened to that big package ? Or even better... have a link to it ?

Mass distribution of that nature is highly discouraged here.

You can find (reliable and trustworthy) information over here: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=185.0

No prob, I was just wondering because if my memory don't fail me, the "big package" I mention came from sc4d (so, by extents, thanks for the link, but i'm already familiar with the site ;))

Anyway, why is it discouraged ? common-agreement issues between the involved authors ? If so, understandable, but sad... It was conveniant to have it in one single package.

EDIT: Had my answer @sc4d forum. Nevermind, so... I'll take the time to do the individual hunt for CAMs + dependencies. Don't know when... That will be long and boring. Thanks for the clarification anyway.

<snip>

EDIT:  Wait a second....Nonny, are you saying the Persistent Automata Mod I linked to requires the JRE from Sun? 

No, but you need it to run TSCT.  It is a Java Jar.

• Original Poster
  • Nic727, how long have you had your game?  Where did you purchase it from?

I had the game a long time ago, but I just reinstall it after 5 years :)

Nic727, how long have you had your game?  Where did you purchase it from?

Okay, I was just curious.  If you had recently purchased it as a download off the internet, it would already be fully patched.  But nevermind.  Anyway, read my response to your previous post below...

ok, for the patch, I found that :

- Part 1 : http://www.ea.com/simcity-4-deluxe

- Part 2 :http://www.simcity.com/en_US/product/simcity4

It's weird?

Actually, you have those in the wrong order.  You're going to want to install the "Part 2" patch first, and then install the one you have labeled as "Part 1".

• Original Poster
  •  

Nic727, how long have you had your game?  Where did you purchase it from?

Okay, I was just curious.  If you had recently purchased it as a download off the internet, it would already be fully patched.  But nevermind.  Anyway, read my response to your previous post below...

>>>ok, for the patch, I found that :

- Part 1 : http://www.ea.com/simcity-4-deluxe

- Part 2 :http://www.simcity.com/en_US/product/simcity4

It's weird?

Actually, you have those in the wrong order.  You're going to want to install the "Part 2" patch first, and then install the one you have labeled as "Part 1".

ok thx very much. It just that the name of the patch are part1 and part2 in different order... Lol

------------------------------------------

EDIT :

Is it normal that when installing the patch I have error because "old file was not found" I click ok and It's installed the patch...

Realistic water mod....I prefer TK's terrain and water stuff, quite realistic looking mountains, it is kinda Apalacian.  Need to get all three pieces of his stuff for it all to look right together and work right together.  The snow is kinda at a high altitude though so be warned.  Tress will not grow at high altitude either, that is also kinda realistic, you don;t see trees growing on Mount Everest, the link to his stuff is here....Okay so no link, His name is Lowkee33, you can find it on SC4Devotion's LEX, just do a power search once you are registered/logged in and search my author and look for his name, easy as pie.

For specifically American architecture, especially homes, I suggest a combination of C.P.(at SC4D) and JMyers (SC4D and ST) and SimCoug (ST), just do searches by their names and you will see everything they got.  The houses are kind of dated(19th Century) but they do look awesome in game they also have sets to give you the maximum variety.

For Industry I suggest grabbing everything everyone has, I mean everything.  If you DO NOT use CAM, (colosus add on mod), I strongly suggest using TWrecks' IRM(Industrial Revolution Mod), if you do use CAM, get Parng's Industrial replacement kit, again just search by the names, can't get any easier than that.

For commercial I suggest both SimGoober(Use SC4D for him, his files and dependencies are more organized there), Maddhatter and JMyers, get all of them from each one and you will have massive variety growing in your cities, you might not even see the Maxis buildings grow until you go medium and high density.

The most unfortunate part of all this is, is that all of these authors I mentioned here used all of the tilesets for their creations, so if you want to have them grow only in one tileset you are going to have to edit them yourself, with iLive's reader.

Good luck building!

EDIT :

Is it normal that when installing the patch I have error because "old file was not found" I click ok and It's installed the patch...

Double check to see if your version has been updated anyway.  If you don't know how to find it, follow the instructions I highlighted in blue in post #2 above.  Let us know what it says.

• Original Poster
  • EDIT :

Double check to see if your version has been updated anyway.  If you don't know how to find it, follow the instructions I highlighted in blue in post #2 above.  Let us know what it says.

How can I check what version I have?

EDIT :

How can I check what version I have?

Without further ado, it is simple.  Use windows explorer to find the file SimCity 4.exe and hover your mouse over it.  It will display your version.  This applies to Vista and above.  For XP and lower, right click the file open properties and follow your nose.