Sign in to follow this  
Lakenstaken

Anyone else lost interest?

100 posts in this topic Last Reply

I think i'm starting to lose interest on it too...

Yesterday, for the first time, I ran the game windowed and most of the day, I let it run on the background just bringing money in, without even wanting to ALT-TAB into the game.

I even played Simcity 4 for a few hours while Simcity 2013 was running.

This had to happen... This game is a capped crap. Only modding can save it. and atm, modding is considered hacking by EA. It won't have much interrest until an offline patch is provided by EA or by the modding community.

"offline patch" Well, the mod that allows you to mess around with debug mode and stuff allows you to play without an internet connection, but origin still needs to be running and the game still needs to save online.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for replies guys.

I think i'm starting to lose interest on it too...

Yesterday, for the first time, I ran the game windowed and most of the day, I let it run on the background just bringing money in, without even wanting to ALT-TAB into the game.

I even played Simcity 4 for a few hours while Simcity 2013 was running.

This had to happen... This game is a capped crap. Only modding can save it. and atm, modding is considered hacking by EA. It won't have much interrest until an offline patch is provided by EA or by the modding community.

Agree, the way I see it the only thing that might save this Simcity for me is if modders really "crack" this game.

I wouldn't expect any really advanced Mods for at least 5 or 6 months. Thats not that usual though.

Personally though I am not bored yet. However irritated as hell by certain bugs. I REALLY want to have pedestrian paths that work properly and can hook up to parks. That soooo has me slobbering.

I wouldn't expect any really advanced Mods for at least 5 or 6 months. Thats not that usual though.

Personally though I am not bored yet. However irritated as hell by certain bugs. I REALLY want to have pedestrian paths that work properly and can hook up to parks. That soooo has me slobbering.

I agree

The bugs just need to be patched.

Though I only let myself play this game on the weekends due to how much time I put into the game.

I have played almost 200 hours and still play a few hours a day even when the hear on top of my head stands up from some of the bugs ruining my cities. 

I just end up deleting the region and starting over, and I don't even mind. But I have stopped playing it until 3:30 AM, now I usually stop at around 1:00AM.

I would not say losing interest as such, but I do agree with this article on RockPaperShotgun in full. SC2013 is a nice quick bit of fun, but as it favours form so much over function I just find it limited to a point where it just becomes less and less my sort of beef. 

Then again, I must admit, I am hardly part of the target user group or market volume. I simply prefer to puzzle deep, to replicate and simulate. 

actually i did my test after reading that article i wanted to see if it was true what was being posted, so my tests goes to extremes doesnt even have parks. i wanted to prove to myself that there is no there there. regardless of how bad u do things u will always win just about the same as if u worked very hard at making wonderful city. so it makes little sense to work hard to make iwonderful city since all roads lead to u have a packed city and lots of money. sims will always have jobs if they cant find it in your city they will just go to another city and it will say they got a job there even though there are no jobs there. ect. im going back to simcity 4, just too bad i was robbed/swindled/taken $85

I've also pretty much got bored with the game, even though I don't think I've played much more than 5 hours in total. Compare that to SC4 where I've spent hundreds of hours creating dozens of huge regions with major cities, suburbs etc.

Basically this game gives me nothing SC4 gives me. I'll go as far as to say the graphics of SC4 look far better, if you accept that SC4 is faux 3d. It's just so much more realistic, detailed and immersive. 

Honestly, this game makes me feel like I'm looking at Monopoly:

monopoly_tycoon_hir0601_03.jpg

I have almost lost interest as well, sadly. It was loads of fun for a couple of weeks, which is ok I guess, I think the game needs bigger maps so you can start city projects that takes hundreds of hours to complete.

It has been a while since I have even around SC4 or the new SimCity.  I am still having fun with the new version as I approach 200 hours.  I am taking my time with it and messing around with a 16 region map.  I am having fun making a CJ on my region and am not just throwing down streets and lots to see how many skyscrapers I can put in a map.   Yes, there are still bugs here and there, but I am confident they will get them resolved one way or another.   The new version has also wanted me to get familiar with my old friend again, SC4.  I plan on doing more of a exploration history based CJ with SC4 eventually.  For now, I will continue to develop my 16 regions as it is keeping me plenty busy.

Yeah, I play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer now, that I have chosen as a free game.

I have build several cities, but somehow I don't come up with something I like that would keep me logging in and playing every day. Also, there are a lot of game mechanics, such as roads tied to building densities or parks controlling wealth, that I have found really annoying and not letting me build the way I want.

Yeah, I play Mass Effect 3 multiplayer now, that I have chosen as a free game.

I have build several cities, but somehow I don't come up with something I like that would keep me logging in and playing every day. Also, there are a lot of game mechanics, such as roads tied to building densities or parks controlling wealth, that I have found really annoying and not letting me build the way I want.

then you are lucky, because I see nowhere the free game. I am not sure if it will be BF3 or smth else, but related to this so called simcity, it was the last time when I spent my money on EA crap. and IF there will be a way to play it offline, I will eb the first to use it, because ... WHY I am not allowed to play MY PRODUCT where I want, because I always have to be online.. which is quite difficult sometimes ( maybe I am in a plain for 8 hours of flight.. ).

anyway, I am totally disappointed . I waited for years for this to come and now I am playing SC4..

I am mostly waiting to see what Maxis does to address the issues with the gameplay at the moment.  I like many aspects of the game -- it's slick and can be fun.  I don't like the broken aspects, however, so I am waiting to see what happens with it.  I haven't given up on it, but I am playing mostly Anno and some SC4 while I wait to see what is done here.

Since EA gave me the free game I am playing that more then SimCity 2013...

I lost interest to the game the second I tried to work with cheats. The second I tried to work with a friend in a region...

If people are beginning to lose interest at this early stage, it's not a good sign for the game's long-term future. SC4 had a solid foundation for the modding community to later build on. If there are too many restrictions in place, it's not possible for the game to grow and expand, to the same extent. One of the main reasons is due to a lack of freedom.

Basically, as SimCity is more focused on micromanagement, it lacks the creativity of building and refining a city. Each action you make now has city-wide implications. For example, previously, buildings could be bulldozed without any real side effects. But now, by demolishing a building, the resident Sims will become homeless, or without a job. Some may say this is more realistic. But really, it's just another restrictive element of control.

SimCity has traditionally been about controlling a city, not being controlled by it.

I really don't want to make a new city until cheetah speed is restored at the very least.

Its pretty sad that they released a half-done game with connection problems at the start. Not a good foundation at all.

I've lost interest, for sure.  The maps are far too small to allow for any real fun or creativity and even if there were freeways, teraforming and that sort of thing, there wouldn't be room for it anyway.  There's just not much to do after the initial 10-30 minutes that it takes to fill up a map.  

Yeah I've lost interest too, and I also agree with that RockPaperShotgun article.  After a few hours, my city is filled up, and the money is rolling in, and I don't have anything else to do other than wait around and upgrade roads.

Wow if you can make money without having a single job in the region, then this isn't even a game.  It's just a sandbox.

I'm still holding on to my small hope that SimCity gets better soon, but yeah I do agree that the fun is starting to wear off. The bugs just keep irritating me because I always have to make workarounds to all these problems that shouldn't be problems.

Yeah, I lost interest because

1. Map designs are uninspiring. This is why we need a way to edit terrain, why limit us to what they have made? Really their regions aren't very good at all, pretty bland and bad.
    2. Lot sizes are too small. I had fun making one town on the ONLY lot I could find in the ENTIRE game with some nice hills, but I can't even find desire to build a town on any of the others
    3. Parks look like crud. Super bad park designs leave little desire to spruce up a town.
    4. Feel that if I do put any effort into the game I'll most likely lose everything due to a roll back / lost city at some point.

This game has SO much potential but it's like they don't give a damn enough to give us the BASE we should have. There's so much lack of pride and polish throughout it's insulting. If they fix these issues I might come back and feel that I have a $60 game, right now I feel like this should be a F2P game with paid DLC.

Reckless city planning is the only challenge/fun left for me in this game.  After the relatively brief amount of time required to figure out all of the wacky and less than intuitive mechanics it's now impossible for a city of mine to fail when I use even a little bit of effort to lay down roads.  So the game has become nothing more than interactive art with most of my cities being different in unimportant ways and essentially identical in the important ways.  This brings me to my point: it is only when I go back to my very first city, when I had no idea what I was doing, and go about reorganizing it am I able to reclaim some of the fun and challenge I once experienced long ago.  The alternative is to start a new city and recklessly, randomly, and wildly expand land use and grow the population until the city seizes up at which point I begin to dissect and reshape it into a functioning city.  The city I'm left with often looks and feels a lot more realistic.  Unfortunately none of this process seems to have much to do with the "simulation" part of the game, I more or less can ignore the details and the "rules" of the game.

I still play but its not that interesting.

Maxis: I hope you have an ace in the hole.

I'm pretty bored too, I have an city in a Public Region which makes about 10 million Simoleons an hour; nothing to spend it on, and all the other cities around me have Mayors that haven't played in their respective cities for over a week now. Could start a private region but there's nothing I really want to do any more. I guess £45 isn't bad for 48 hours of playtime and BF3, but I got SC4 for £10 and have played that at least ten times as much.

Yes, but it's weird: I spend a lot of time playing the game (as much as one can with a full life and full time job) but a lot of the time is spent dealing with bugs and stuff not working. I'd actually spend less time, albeit a lot more enjoyable time at that, if I didn't have to deal with nonsense like basic traffic not working, or being unable to fix pollution effectively or the never ending water problems.

I still don't understand why I as mayor have to go and bulldoze individuaal buildings.