Sign in to follow this  
gviper

"Rare" buildings in SC4?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I don't think so. If your city has the demand, reached the highest growth stages, and has proper zoning, everything should be able to grow. If some buildings appear to be more rare than others, then it's because of the way you play the game.

I think that some buildings require a certain layout in order to grow.  I've played the game on and off for years now and I still don't know all the permissible (buildings will grow) layouts.  For example, I just found out that a 4 wide, 2 deep (4x2) for commercial leads to a building.  I also know that you can do 3x6 for residential, 3x5, but not 5x5 (at least I haven't seen anything grow there yet.  You can do 6x6 on commercial, but not 5x5.  Is there a site that lists all the possible configurations for R,C, and I respectively?

Actually, the game is pretty smart.  It will grow at least one of the fashion malls on a 5 x 5 C lot.  Takes a lot of patience and the right conditions to get it.  Usually lots of population and in a suburban area.

Maxis lots, at least, don't seem to be tied to specific sized lots other than they have to be big enough.  I've had the same building show up on 2 x 1, 1 x 2, 1 x 3 lots and sometimes the game will just use fill in textures on a larger lot for a smaller building.  None of my growable BATs ever show up on the wrong sized lot.

Is there a site that lists all the possible configurations for R,C, and I respectively?

The 'SC4 Buildings List' link in my signature may be helpful. There's also this one, which gives specific information on the different lot sizes.

Since all RCI buildings have varying properties (such as lot size, growth stage and capacity), it all depends on the demand for each developer type. So it's quite hard to define rare buildings, as the types that grows will vary from city to city. For example, in some cities, high-tech industry will be quite hard to develop. Also, if a city's demand and population isn't high enough, stage 8 buildings are less likely to show up.