Sign in to follow this  
cubercaleb

DLC you would want to see for this game.

52 posts in this topic Last Reply

I'm going to list some DLC or rather content that I would like to see in this game and wouldn't mind paying a couple dollars for. I want you guys to do the same. Really name anything, if you want it suggest it. Together we can come up with a list of DLC that we as SimCity players would actually pay for and enjoy. The hope is that someone over at Maxis sees this and puts the creation of such content into motion. I'll start up the main list, as you guys suggest things I'll add it to this list and give credit where credit is due.

List of DLC I would like to see

1. Futuristic City Set - Contains high wealth, high density skyscrapers with a futuristic look to them.
  2. Mass Transit Expansion - Mass Transit options such as High Density Elevated Streetcar Avenues, allowing you to have streetcars without them interfering with everything else. Underground Light Rail (streetcars) to replace the subways, as you build these two new types of streetcar rails they would auto create ramps to get from one level to another,. High wealth Train, Ferry, Streetcar and Bus Stations for high wealth sims, and in the case you don't have high wealth sims they will transport more sims total. The ability to edit the highway on off ramp, adding more lanes to relief congestion, and the ability to add you own highway lines through the region (pre selected by game devs so you can't go overboard).
  3. Utiliy Expansion - Adds large garbage dumb which contains more trucks and has cleaner incinerators. Also adds a Regional Utility Great Work, provides water along with garbage and sewage treatment for the connected cities.

Feel free to come up with some of your own ideas, leave them below, I'll create a master list once the topic gets going, which will be below. (I'll add my stuff if you agree with it).

The great list (will make fancy later, just getting everyones ideas together)

1. Mass transit options, including above and underground rail based off of streetcars, or just subways, maybe both. Overpasses for roads and rail, larger and fancier transportation stations for high wealth. Highway editing at a cost with some restrictions
  2. An official mod tool kit that allows people to easily create and share content such as plop-ables, zones, the ability to create our own regions via terraforming. In the case of plop-ables that function then Maxis will have to approve so they don't become overpowering.
  3. Larger regions with more connections, perhaps larger cities as the servers and our pc's become better and better.
  4. More city sets, such as a futuristic city set, or a medieval city set.

1. Bigger maps.

2. More building sets/lots.

3. Terraforming.

4. Zoning density.

5. Contiguous city tiles.

Cobble together those five things EA/Maxis and I'll be a happy little bunny!

1.  Downloadable offline patch.

2.  Community modding programs.

Thousands of community members can make a lot more content a lot faster than a small team of Maxis programmers.  I'd hate to see the potential go to waste.

Oh yes, that to! This game needs to be modded something special to bring this diamond out of the rough!

Snow DLC.

I always wanted to play a Simcity with snow!

Psssst....

mtperisherfeb1410121193me5.png

Getting back on topic, it would be nice to see that building customization that Maxis originally promised.  It's a shame that got cut and would be a good future add-on.

Although I believe this should be part of a serious overhaul patch I suppose I'd have no choice to buy it as DLC because I consider it core to the game.  The re-establishment of dependence among the RCI zones and adding meaningful utility to industry zone freight.  Or at least some form of conditional dependence so that R & C can exist alone, R & I can exist alone, but in certain circumstances industry can supplement or augment some aspect of C.  The current relationship between C and I+freight just sucks!!!

I still build industry in my cities because playing SC without industry is like SC without an offline mode.

1.  Downloadable offline patch.

2.  Community modding programs.

Thousands of community members can make a lot more content a lot faster than a small team of Maxis programmers.  I'd hate to see the potential go to waste.

add to that adjacent maps and ability to set your own regional transportation...user-placeable highways and connections.

I'd like the see DLC of anything the modding community wouldn't be able to easily implement themselves.

Perhaps an overhaul of the road system that has you laying down individual lanes of roads and setting their properties individually? I'd pay 20 bucks for that

• Original Poster
  • I'd like the see DLC of anything the modding community wouldn't be able to easily implement themselves.

Perhaps an overhaul of the road system that has you laying down individual lanes of roads and setting their properties individually? I'd pay 20 bucks for that

So one way roads essentially?

• Original Poster
  • Although I believe this should be part of a serious overhaul patch I suppose I'd have no choice to buy it as DLC because I consider it core to the game.  The re-establishment of dependence among the RCI zones and adding meaningful utility to industry zone freight.  Or at least some form of conditional dependence so that R & C can exist alone, R & I can exist alone, but in certain circumstances industry can supplement or augment some aspect of C.  The current relationship between C and I+freight just sucks!!!

I still build industry in my cities because playing SC without industry is like SC without an offline mode.

I think they are fixing that

I wouldn't mind paying for : a whole new SC game that functions without needing dozens of patches, updates and corrections, and please....offline and.not made by Maxis nor EA.

mrb

Well, I'm going to be constructive and not just use this thread as yet another opportunity to complain about the same old stuff. :whatevs:

I'd like to see farm zoning added to the game, along with a farming specialization, livestock as a resource, and a theme that allows you to develop a more rural-looking community. They could add a giant slaughterhouse as a great work!

While I think Maxis should have implemented these features in the base game, I'd want to see DLC for:

1. Offline mode - this goes against Maxis's "vision", and will probably never be added, but has been proven to work by players
    2. Transit options - subways, OWR (especially this), monorail, etc. The ability to place turning lanes would also be a nice feature. It could be used to ease traffic at intersections. Above all, though, is the ability to place highways, interchanges, and rail, not only in city tiles, but throughout the region.
    3. Building tilesets - more variety of buildings, or a specific style
    4. Agriculture - the ability to zone farming and add additions to the farms (with the module upgrade system), as well as a farming specialization, as Ghachii said
    5. More region maps - or even better, the ability to create regions (God mode), but put a limitation on the amount of resources that can be placed so it is balanced; Better regions with full transit connectivity should also be added (really, should have been added) 
    6. Larger city tiles and the ability to create city tiles adjacent to others - the former Guillaume has hinted at and the latter will probably never be added and would have to be done by modders.
    7. Modding tools - this one trumps all, because I trust in the ability of this community's modders more than Maxis devs. Modding tools should allow us to create custom buildings, alter RCI functionality (if the C-I dependence is not fixed), create our own region maps, and do what this community has done with SC4.

However, I think a lot of these things should be added in patches, free of charge. In my opinion, SimCity has the foundations to be a great game, but it still has issues and is unfinished. Think of Minecraft, an indie game with a business strategy that has been extremely successful. 9,815,746 people have bought the PC/Mac version at the time I checked the game's website, and approximately 40 people buy it each minute. The game itself is $27, but is updated continuously every week with patches that fix bugs and add new content. With the amount of hours I've played it, the possibilities for creativity, and the amount of new content that has been added since I bought it, Minecraft is easily worth $100.

Maxis and EA should get it together and fix the bugs and issues with SimCity before they even think of releasing DLC. And even then, I think things like more maps, more civics and utilities, and larger city tiles should be free, added in a patch. For paying $60/$80, we need more than we currently have with this game. Like Ln X said, SimCity is a diamond in the rough, and it needs to be patched and modded to really shine.

After reading everything listed here I can't believe no one has said:

Desalination Plant-I'm tired of chasing water all around the map

More Power Options-Something that doesn't need constant deliveries that usually don't come until the power plant is at half capacity.  Perhaps geothermal, hydro, waste to energy, or osmotic.

I'd like the see DLC of anything the modding community wouldn't be able to easily implement themselves.

So one way roads essentially?

Sort of? I'm talking about control over individual lanes in any one road. Essentially a system that would allow you to attach and break off individual lanes as you see fit, making just about any sort of road setup possible, real of ridiculous.

1. Transportation expansion. Fleshes out the train system, adds subways, adds streetcar rails for streets, allows edits to the regional transportation infrastructure, including the construction of new highways. One-way options for all roads. 

2. Seasons and proper weather. Combine this with farming, and suddenly, keeping track of the seasons and rain patterns becomes a really important aspect of gameplay. Farm the wrong spot and your crops will dry up and fail. Also, the seasonal nature of the farming workforce adds another layer of management. The owners stay in your city year round, but come harvest time, you need a reserve of cheap labor. Increasing the tech level of farms would reduce the sheer number of workers needed.

3. Economy expansion. Allow for intra-regional and inter-regional trade to be managed separately. Make resources an integral part of the game; cities should not function without them, and if the price of a commodity such as fuel gets too high, it should have economic repercussions for all players, not just the traders.

4. Region editor

5.Tourism expansion. Make it possible to develop the beaches into a tourist attraction, as well as other natural features. Allow the hosting of parades and other events outside of the expo center. Add amusement parks, resorts (ranging from Moody Gardens-sized to Sim Disney World), and some way of leveraging your downtown into a historic and cultural attraction.

6.Bigger cities somewhere inbetween all the other stuff. After all, this DLC is going to be pointless with no room to build anything.

• Original Poster
  • The suggestions are great, I'll edit the list later when there are some more suggestions, seems like you guys want more mass transit options, like certain things you can do in nam. Two of you mentioned seasons. there were also suggestions on tourism, economics, utilities, etc. 

Advanced mining and drilling upgrades that allow hidden resources to be mined. So basically a way to reroll the resources for a price. This will allow mining towns to stay that way. For a price, of course.

With the game being always online and the potential to play a multiplayer style game in regions how exactly will DLC's and modding content actually work. For example, if a player was to download a DLC into their city on multiplayer and I was on the same region and wanted to visit their city then how exactly would this be rendered on my game if I don't have the same DLC on my game ?

Also modded content would act the same way too would it not ?

At the moment it is not possible to take over a city in a region if the other players have different content, and some of you will have had that message when trying to do so. I have the limited edition of the game with the hero and villains pack, and the first available DLC is the foreign city packs which stops anyone playing a city in a region if anyone has this DLC.

So where do we go from here ?

Roundabouts (especially the avenue roundabout), overpasses and underpasses. One-way streets. Waterfront or cliffside lots with higher value, like in SC4. Limited modding tools so one could at least smooth out a coastline for docks or a promenade avenue. A real European building set with wall-to-wall buildings. Mixed use, i.e. living over a shop, would probably still be impossible, but if the buildings had a harmonious design, it could still look realistic even if you had two residential buildings, then a commericial one.

And the return of one feature that was in the alpha version – which would really aid w2w design – but not beta: when zoning, individual lots would appear. What if you want to zone a corner shop in a residential area? You could just zone that particular lot as commercial and still have the next building residential without wasting space. Of if you wanted it to upgrade to medium density, two or three lots.

While I would like to have them, I really hate the idea of traffic-related DLC. Subways, roundabouts, one way streets. Let's release a game with terrible AI causing massive traffic problems and then sell them the solutions.

The ability to make your own maps and share them. That would include terraforming and the ability to redefine city map sizes as well as the ability to remove the empty space between the city tiles. Furthermore, Id like to see more building sets, including a futuristic one. 

Also I'd like to see mod support, though I honestly don't think that should come as DLC you have to pay for. More as a reward for the community for sticking with them. 

ore stuff that brings more life into the game like seasons and holidays like christmas, halloween etc. So if its christmas, you will see christmas decoration on the houses etc. Now that they improved graphics and everything is 3D.. this would be a cool add-on tho.