Sign in to follow this  
dkazeki

City Specialization & Budget

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've got a little mining/drilling city up and running (including trade depots, refinery, petroleum hq, etc).  Of course due to the area needed for the drilling/mining my RCI is always in demand.  My daily budget has dwindled into the red, -$2k - 4k.  However, the drilling/mining/trade operation (+$200k/month) is going well and overall I'm getting a positive income stream.  Not sure how the time frame plays a part in that as well.

It looks like the income from city specializations are separate from the operational budget of the city?  Can anybody confirm that?  I wish they would include it together, so you could really see everything balance.

Your hourly is operating cost. Import and export can't be calculated in that because then it would have to be an average.

Import and export sways drastically per day. All that matters is your monthly profit + hourly.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks Ship.  Yeah, that makes sense.  When does the income from import/export register?  Daily or per transaction?

Per transaction.

Also, I gotta say, I wish there was an option to look at a moving average of transaction income over a longer window than the one the game uses in the budget panel.  The estimate of whether I'm making $300k/hour or losing that much always seems to depend on whether the ship just came and bought my TV's, or whether I'm still waiting for it to do so.  I just have to figure out how much I'm actually making by trial+error and manually averaging over time.

if you click on trade it will give you your daily numbers...my hourly income is 90k in the red but i have 13 million banked so i have my taxes set at 2 percent...

trade flucuates to much to include it in your city budget panel...if you mess up and put something in your industrial area that attracts a ton of traffic your trade will suffer because the trucks wont be able to get around....my main money making town I watched to see which way the trucks flowed to get to the region before I decided where to build most of my stuff...this city is lucky as it has two highway connections to the region...so visitors come in on one highway connection and the trucks go out the other one so they dont have to fight traffic...

• Original Poster
  • Thanks guys.  Good feedback.  Knowing that export income is per transaction and a different financial stream than the operating budget clarifies a lot.  I'll have to accept the fact that if I want more detailed info, I'll have to do additional calculations.

A little off-topic questions - I'm refining my crude to petroleum and plastic.  My crude under my city is starting to dry up.  Petroleum/plastic has a way bigger profit margin than crude.  Would it be wise to stop exporting crude and (at the Trade Depot) and keep the crude locally to supply my petroleum/plastic export instead?  I think that might be slower but ensure more total income.

once i got to the higher tier of trading I shut down my mining operations and just imported what I needed to save the space....just depends what kind of city you are going for

depends what your making....i started off with coal....then teched to processors so I had to import alloy and plastic to make processors...if I did the math right after the cost of the plastic and alloy i was making 7k profit from the 67k that the processors sold for...but where you make your money is once you start making tvs and computers....because they make you bank and you are already making your own processors...my tip is to get to the processor tech at the lowest pop possible...so your first addition to you city hall should be education because you will need a college....unless of course you already have a education addition to the city hall at a regional city.

Im finding it difficult to fit all the required buildings into my city to actually produce anyhing other than coil / petrol...

I know HQ benefits are shared region wide..... but thats not my point....

I have noticed that I am pulling in an average of 4 million a month from my electronics city catered to tv and computer exports.  I have 6 maxed out processor factories and two maxed out tv/pc factories.

The issue I am running into is that the production rate for each of the factories dwindles over time.  For example, if i bulldoze a processor factory and rebuild, it generates 9600 crates per day.  Over time the amount drops to 4800 crates a day.

Point being: unless i consistently bulldoze and rebuild, my monthly profit sits at 2 M a month...

The issue I am running into is that the production rate for each of the factories dwindles over time.  For example, if i bulldoze a processor factory and rebuild, it generates 9600 crates per day.  Over time the amount drops to 4800 crates a day.

Point being: unless i consistently bulldoze and rebuild, my monthly profit sits at 2 M a month...

I noticed this too.   I was trying to figure out why the production drops to 4800 per day.   I'm glad that I'm not the only one.   Wonder why...

Well either way when electronics gets nerfed to oblivion that wont matter. I mean, I hope they are planning on weakening electronics... its stupid easy & rewarding.

Well either way when electronics gets nerfed to oblivion that wont matter. I mean, I hope they are planning on weakening electronics... its stupid easy & rewarding.

it's the only way i have found to make a profit on top of managing all the bugs that prohibit normal game play....

the game play now is trying to survive the bugs... education has to consistently be bulldozed and rebuilt, cops/ambulance/fire never respond.. list goes on... so now i just watch my money stack up and occasionally reboot because the game clock freezes, go figure... :(

• Original Poster
  • Didn't know the processor plants decrease production like that.  Maybe its to mirror what happens for other city specializations, such as mining and drilling, where wells and mines eventually dry up.

yes but bulldozing and rebuilding will kick it back up to 9600 crates per day whereas mining and coal, when it's gone, it's gone, no?