Sign in to follow this  
Seanbenn

Trains look like 1 small green car? Trains don't work!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have downloaded mods like the NAM and some other trains but I can't get any of them to work. My city does not use the rail and one little green car looking thing zooms along the rail. I can get no trains to work?? Help??

Do you know for certain they don't work? To test this you could try to build a test city and connect a residential zone with a commercial or industrial zone by train only. If your setup is correct and people don't use the train, then there is obviously a problem. Please share the screenshots with us, we might be able to tell what's wrong by looking at them :)

The little green car is normal game behaviour, think of it as rail maintenance, or something like that...

It's that unsighty "Rail Checker" unit. It appears from time to time. There's a mod that removes it (actually replaces it with a "null" model automaton), but I can't remember it. It wouldn't be hard to replace it with a locomotive-only model (dead-head), just pick one of the many train automata and assign the engine's model to the Track Checker automaton exemplar. This is really easy and too little work actually, and any modder with average modding skills could do it, I would personally prefer to replace it with a "Maintenance Personnel Tranport" (or else "draisine") car, however this requires making a new model, and the few members who make automata are apparently not intererested.

To see normal train automata, you must have working rail service between a population centre and a workplace; they will only appear during the morning and evening hours.

The little green rail checker doesn't bother me.  I'm not sure why people get upset by seeing it.  BUT....everyone's different.

Something to bear in mind is that your freight is going to take the fastest and most direct route out of your city.  If you have road connections to your neighboring cities, and those connections are close to the industrial zone, then the freight will leave by truck - therefore you won't see much rail usage, and thus you won't see the train automata.  I think the same principle applies to passenger rail, but I'm not sure.

Visible moving automata (including trains) are only animations. This means they're essentially visual representations of actual transportation usage. If you can't see any trains, it doesn't mean they're not operating. To find if the rail service is being used, try querying a station and check the "Actual Usage".

If you do want to remove the rail checker, the mod can be found here:

I would keep the track checker.  It will find any broken tracks.  I'd worry if I didn't see them.

If you use the route query (ALT+/) on the tracks you'll see if it is in use.  If not, remember you have to have stations connected to both the road system and the rails.

• Original Poster
  • The small green car doesn't bother me I was just saying that's all I have. The actual usage is 0% and I have tried setting up passenger stations and then deleting them and tried freight trains. I have also setup a new city and tried and I still get 0 trains. My subway however does have trains that work.

Visible moving automata (including trains) are only animations. This means they're essentially visual representations of actual transportation usage. If you can't see any trains, it doesn't mean they're not operating.

True, but you do need to have actual traffic, for the automata to appear. Only exception, lots that spawn automata, eg train stations spawn taxis, and landfills spawn garbage trucks.

If your tracks are continuous with stations at each end, and they lead from residential to the work place you should get some action.  However, if the driving time by road is shorter than going to the station and taking the train, the trains will not be used.  Also, in an extensive work area some surface mass transit such as buses is needed from the station to the workplace.