Sign in to follow this  
TPMP

Any way of turning off disasters?

20 posts in this topic Last Reply

I know by playing in Sandbox mode you can decide not to have disasters in your city. But what about when you're not in Sndbox mode? Is there a way to turn them off?

• Original Poster
  • Having just done some research, it is not possible to turn disasters off in normal mode. This is wrong IMO. Disasters such as fires is all well and good, but I dont want to have to play sandbox mode just to avoid meteors and lizards destroying my city. :cry:

Not possible, currently. I believe I caught a tweet from one of the devs stating they would look at it, I could be wrong though.

I seen it too, so then we're two persons seeing things

Would be nice if you can turn them off. I just build my first processor factory after a long time of saving money... 1 minute later it was destroyed by a lizard. :(

Not possible, currently. I believe I caught a tweet from one of the devs stating they would look at it, I could be wrong though.

I hope they dont, its the only hardcore thing in the game. And honestly, most the disasters are pretty weak. I had a "major" earthquake, and all it did was knock down 5 skyscrapers in maybe a 2 block radius.  I miss the SC2K earthquakes where the entire map would shake, random buildings would be rubbled, and fires would randomly pop up everywhere.

The only one thats a real pain is the meteor one. Only because the firefighting AI. The radiation goes away pretty quick.

• Original Poster
  • Sandbox mode just isnt the same IMO. It feels like you're cheating, considering the amount of money you start off with.

In the real world, we know disasters can happen at any time. But in a game, where there are options, it's very frustrating to have it forced upon. Even if the scale of disasters are limited, there will be a point where the frustration becomes overwhelming. If it's an attempt at creating realism, then I fail to see how zombies and lizards fit into this category.

If automatic disasters are to remain, the frequency should be reduced. From what I've heard, they're just too practicable at the moment. Also, there should be more focus on how to reduce their impact, rather than picking up the pieces afterwards. Disaster management and prevention plays an integral part in real life city planning.

My first giant lizard attack annoyed me because I had just built my first recycling center, $111,000 is not cheap...and he destroyed it almost instantly. I let it go, because I had fun watching him eat out of the pile of crap at the dump next door. However, my second giant lizard attack left me absolutely livid, as this one destroyed an upgraded hospital, fully upgraded recycling center, upgraded oil power plant, several oil pumps, and a few factories all to the tune of $447,500 (Yes I calculated it, I was mad and wanted FEMA reimbursement, I have yet to hear a response from them) It took a few bonds to get those buildings back.

My first giant lizard attack annoyed me because I had just built my first recycling center, $111,000 is not cheap...and he destroyed it almost instantly. I let it go, because I had fun watching him eat out of the pile of crap at the dump next door. However, my second giant lizard attack left me absolutely livid, as this one destroyed an upgraded hospital, fully upgraded recycling center, upgraded oil power plant, several oil pumps, and a few factories all to the tune of $447,500 (Yes I calculated it, I was mad and wanted FEMA reimbursement, I have yet to hear a response from them) It took a few bonds to get those buildings back.

I hear you, friend; For the first week, or so, the disasters seemed pretty innocuous (1-2 buildings destroyed per event, maximum). Lately, however, it seems that EA has cranked the dial to 11. My last city was hit by 'Oddzilla', 4 times, in quick succession. Each time destroying ~40 buildings, and  plops, just as I was gathering Steam. Lost my university, and hospital both, last attack.

In game disasters can be triggered by your city.  If you are getting an abundance of disasters then your city most likely is triggering them.  I spotted a link where they listed the triggers once but I can't seem to find it now.

I just bought CitiesXL Platinum from Steam for 20€..

No more random lizards or meteor storms.. But still .. some strange emptyness in my heart.. :-/

Cities XL is a terrible game. That's why this is not a Cities XL forum.

I hear you, friend; For the first week, or so, the disasters seemed pretty innocuous (1-2 buildings destroyed per event, maximum). Lately, however, it seems that EA has cranked the dial to 11. My last city was hit by 'Oddzilla', 4 times, in quick succession. Each time destroying ~40 buildings, and  plops, just as I was gathering Steam. Lost my university, and hospital both, last attack.

Trade port, max TV storage lots, all full (ready to export all at once in order to upgrade my Trade HQ). Lizard comes along. Stomp stomp stomp. All the TVs and trade port destroyed.

I hate that lizard.

The lizard turns up after collecting so much trash.

The lizard will show up regardless if you have no trash.  I've had it show up when I had 0 trash in the field, all trash had been burned.  I think it's quite random with regards to a couple of the disasters.

Yes like others, I too believe that we should have the option to turn off disasters, OR to choose which ones we wish to allow.  For examples, I'd allow the earthquake disaster but none of that zombie nonsense or meteors etc.

The lizard turns up after collecting so much trash.

The lizard will show up regardless if you have no trash.  I've had it show up when I had 0 trash in the field, all trash had been burned.  I think it's quite random with regards to a couple of the disasters.

Yes like others, I too believe that we should have the option to turn off disasters, OR to choose which ones we wish to allow.  For examples, I'd allow the earthquake disaster but none of that zombie nonsense or meteors etc.

Doesn't the lizard come when 100.000 tons of garbage has been burng? That's how you unlock it to your disaster menu at least.