Sign in to follow this  
Zpike

Ore Purchases Don't Keep Up With Demand

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have a city with 6 smelters all running at max capacity with ore and coal mines supplying the demand.  Then my ore and coal ran out.

So I did what any good entrepreneur does and I plopped down a Trade Depot with the Train Depot option and started buying ore and coal from the global market.  I assumed I would be able to keep up with demand but that is not the case. The train does not come often enough and the amount I can buy is to small to supply the smelters.

Anyone found any way around this or am I just screwed?

I have a city with 6 smelters all running at max capacity with ore and coal mines supplying the demand.  Then my ore and coal ran out.

So I did what any good entrepreneur does and I plopped down a Trade Depot with the Train Depot option and started buying ore and coal from the global market.  I assumed I would be able to keep up with demand but that is not the case. The train does not come often enough and the amount I can buy is to small to supply the smelters.

Anyone found any way around this or am I just screwed?

The only way to even attempt to keep up with demand is to use road, rail and sail as a menage a trois in order to attempt it. Building a trade PORT with fully stocked vehicles that are instructed to import ore/coal will help a lot. They don't move high volumes, but they import with more frequency. Rail and Sail import/export higher volumes at much lower frequency. As long as you don't have too much highway traffic a trade port with cars should be able to ameliorate your ore/coal woes.

• Original Poster
  • Hmmm... I have huge traffic out front of my city.  So much so that I can't get trucks in and out with any frequency.  I can't depend on them getting through for days.  I started importing coal orver the rail system and stockpilling it so I would maintain power. :(

OK, thank you.  I guess I will open the ocean shipping port and hope it covers my needs.

I wonder it having multiple rail ports will help.... I'll try that this evening too.

One of the key factors in success with city specializations is ensuring that the entire supply chain is running smoothly.  If you are having difficulty with traffic flow outside your city, you need to be examining ways that you can ameliorate that traffic congestion to get your trucks through.  Good supply chain management is a must if you want to have a successful specialized city.

This game is meant for specialization. a mining town must stay at low population levels so that traffic is at a minimum.  Also use the oil roads so that your service trucks have short cuts around the traffic. trade depot trucks and the mining trucks can use those oil delivery roads.

One of the key factors in success with city specializations is ensuring that the entire supply chain is running smoothly.  If you are having difficulty with traffic flow outside your city, you need to be examining ways that you can ameliorate that traffic congestion to get your trucks through.  Good supply chain management is a must if you want to have a successful specialized city.

Ameliorate. The word of the day :)

Hmmm... I have huge traffic out front of my city.  So much so that I can't get trucks in and out with any frequency.  I can't depend on them getting through for days.  I started importing coal orver the rail system and stockpilling it so I would maintain power. :(

OK, thank you.  I guess I will open the ocean shipping port and hope it covers my needs.

I wonder it having multiple rail ports will help.... I'll try that this evening too.

Shipping port. The trade port tells you that rail comes every 6 hours and ships come every 3 hours. What it doesn't tell you is that if you have 3 of each (like I do) 3 ships will come but only 1 train will. So ships aren't twice as good, they're 2X times as good, X being the number of ports you have. There may be some differences with how much they fill or something, but so far it seems that ships are much better.

You need to get a more direct route to the trade port so the trucks can bring in shipments. The trains and ships help, but they come too infrequently to keep you supplied 24/7. Get an avenue that leads from the entrance to within one block of the port, and eliminate unnecessary traffic lights so that trucks don't have to stop on the way. I call this an "expressway" configuration of an avenue, and it's very effective for moving things across town.

This game is meant for specialization. a mining town must stay at low population levels so that traffic is at a minimum.  Also use the oil roads so that your service trucks have short cuts around the traffic. trade depot trucks and the mining trucks can use those oil delivery roads.

I just tried adding those dirt roads as shortcut paths to my trade centers it was immediately a huge help! now keep in mind my city only has 42000 when it comes to traffic issues but I could still notice a difference. Thank you!