Sign in to follow this  
parrot999

Dropbox Co-op Metropizzalis (Now Recruiting!) Uses Skype Voicechat!

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

The region of Metropizzalis is calling for new Mayors! This extra large region (Double default size) is just asking to be built upon. All city slots are Large, to allow expansion.

Slightly Outdated Map:

MetropizzalisMap_zps0752e331.jpg

(Pardon the typo it's supposed to say large map, not region.)

Easy Setup:

1. PM me with your Dropbox name and Skype name, so I can invite you.

2. Create a second SimCity 4 shortcut (If you use the launcher make sure the new shortcut is for the actual application. Otherwise it won't work.)

3. Add the following code to the target box in the shortcut's properties panel, after the existing link to the actual program: ( -UserDir:"C:\Users\{Your-Account-Name-Here}\Dropbox\SC4 Coop\Coop")

4. That's it! There are also optional files you can download from the folder: "SC4 Optional (Stuff for Program Files)" It contains music from SimCity SNES, SimCity 2000, and SimCity 3000, to add to the atmosphere. (The SNES and 2000 music are redone versions of the songs.). There is also the space background from the region view for use inside the cities.

Rules:

1. Do Not under any circumstances update the regions next to you while someone is playing in a directly neighboring region. This includes: Making trade deals with a city currently in use (If you both want to make a trade deal, one of you must save and exit to region, before the other makes the trade deal.), Reconciling edges, next to a currently active city, etc.

This rule is to prevent Region Corruption, please Do Not Break This Rule!

2. Keep in communication via Skype with all online players when online. This will prevent people from accidentally breaking rule #1.

3. You may have multiple cities but don't be greedy, other players need cities too.

4. You may view another person's city, but not while they are working on it, and you cannot change anything or save to prevent griefing, accidental or otherwise. If you destroy someone else's city, you will be ousted from the server.

5.Do not add or remove mods or files from and to the shared dropbox folders. This includes creating a new region. They will be deleted! If you want a new server, we can vote on it.

Mods:

The following mods are in the server's plugins folder:

-Day n Nite Mod

-Meadowshire Terrain Mod+Dependancies

-A few custom buildings including Apple Store 5th Ave.

-Space Region Background

-NAM31

-Tree Replacements

-Beach and Water Replacements

You may ask for new mods, and I'll consider them.

Have Fun!

Update!

-NAM has been updated to Version 31.

This brought to my attention however, that because I live in the U.S., there is a possibility that people with Left-hand Driving (aka. pretty much the rest of the planet) may have problems. If someone could verify whether NAM will have problems due to this or not, and supply a solution if it does, I would be most grateful.

Lovely idea. I am happy to see another thread like this and I hope it catches on.

One point of note however I must draw attention to, you CANNOT upload the mods to the server. This is actually distributing the mods without creator permission (even though they are free). I would recommend merely putting up a link to their download.

Also I would recommend periodically backing up the region frequently in case someone disobeys Rule 4.

• Original Poster
  • Lovely idea. I am happy to see another thread like this and I hope it catches on.

One point of note however I must draw attention to, you CANNOT upload the mods to the server. This is actually distributing the mods without creator permission (even though they are free). I would recommend merely putting up a link to their download. Also I would recommend periodically backing up the region frequently in case someone disobeys Rule 4.

The mods are built into the server, it's not distributing them because you are essentially linking into a second My Documents\SimCity 4 folder. You don't download anything. That said, if what you say is true, the optional space background will have to be replaced with a link, as it must be put into your Programs SimCity 4 folder.

Yoshi is right, you cannot upload those mods to the server without permission. I am not quite sure how this project is supposed to work, but I would advise you to ask permission to the creators of the mods before you do this. It is mentioned in the General Rules of this site as follows:

"Any material that is the work of another individual but is being represented as original. Permission must be obtained from the original creator, and due credit must be given, before including any element of that creator's work in a custom content upload."

Thanks! :)

• Original Poster
  • Yoshi is right, you cannot upload those mods to the server without permission. I am not quite sure how this project is supposed to work, but I would advise you to ask permission to the creators of the mods before you do this. It is mentioned in the General Rules of this site as follows: "Any material that is the work of another individual but is being represented as original. Permission must be obtained from the original creator, and due credit must be given, before including any element of that creator's work in a custom content upload." Thanks! :)

Seeing as the mods are neither being represented as original content, nor is the dropbox "server" a type of custom content, It is not in violation of these terms. All this "server" is, is a second "My Documents" profile, that connects to a network via dropbox, and updates files as they are created across that network, allowing for a type of region play. It's really no different than playing single player with mods, other than the ability to check on other people's cities.Also, if you look online people have done this before, with mods, and I have never seen a tension between mod creators and co-op "server" runners.

Yoshi is right, you cannot upload those mods to the server without permission. I am not quite sure how this project is supposed to work, but I would advise you to ask permission to the creators of the mods before you do this. It is mentioned in the General Rules of this site as follows: "Any material that is the work of another individual but is being represented as original. Permission must be obtained from the original creator, and due credit must be given, before including any element of that creator's work in a custom content upload." Thanks! :)

Seeing as the mods are neither being represented as original content, nor is the dropbox "server" a type of custom content, It is not in violation of these terms. All this "server" is, is a second "My Documents" profile, that connects to a network via dropbox, and updates files as they are created across that network, allowing for a type of region play. It's really no different than playing single player with mods, other than the ability to check on other people's cities.Also, if you look online people have done this before, with mods, and I have never seen a tension between mod creators and co-op "server" runners.

Whether it is represented as OC or not doesn't matter.

So let me get this one straight. You have downloaded the files to your computer, and then when you create the server you have uploaded the files to the server? That still counts as redistribution.

I'd just like to point out that you can have the vanilla server without the mods, and if everyone downloads the mods themselves and uploads their tiles, it will still work fine when someone else downloads the tile (assuming they have all the mods in their own plugins folder). There will be no corruption of the files.

EDIT: Actually do you mind if you invite me? I might be able to get a better look at it from the inside, where timmie and I would be able to make a better decision.

• Original Poster
  • EDIT: Actually do you mind if you invite me? I might be able to get a better look at it from the inside, where timmie and I would be able to make a better decision.

It would be a good idea if you invited Yoshi, as he suggested, that way we can have a clearer look at it :) We're not here to chase you, we just want to be sure everything is like it should be :)

• Original Poster
  • Have you guys decided if this co-op breaks the rules yet, because some people have PM'ed me wanting to join, and I would like an answer before I let them on.

We're fairly certain that what you've proposed doesn't violate our re-distribution rules. It is, in essence, no different from a game on a single PC being used by multiple people.

Truth be told, we're all actually pretty interested to see this in action. Please go ahead and let us know how it works out for you.

Cheers.

Yep, green light to go.

It's been done once before Cockatoo, but was plagued by issues with people interfering with other cities. I hope it works this time though.
    Might be interested in playing myself.

• Original Poster
  • Yep, green light to go.

It's been done once before Cockatoo, but was plagued by issues with people interfering with other cities. I hope it works this time though.

Might be interested in playing myself.

I suggest getting a Skype if you decide to play. This will only work if we are aware of where other players currently are in the region.