Sign in to follow this  
MissVanleider

New user - questions re. STEX / Mods

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

First post here. New member, feel free to delete / move this post if unimportant.

I discovered this site this week after a couple of frustrating weeks with SC2013 which I'm not going to bore you with here as I'm sure everyone is more than aware of the situation at present.

Anyway, I decided to DL SC4D via Steam and give that a go instead. I had never played even vanilla SC4 at any stage, and was unaware of Simtropolis. I followed this link   which mentioned some of the mods available and included a link to Simtropolis. 

However, the link posted above is also possible to download a .rar file with a few plugins including NAM, which I downloaded from the link provided. After following the further link to Simtropolis and getting a little curious, I noted that you can't download anything from the STEX without registering. I registered and wanted to point out the other page giving content away which requires (i think) a Simtropolis account in order to download from yourselves.

Now I don't know whether to delete all my plugins and begin re-downloading NAM or other mods as this will give me the most up to date versions and I don't want to break my game.

Little advice required, please let me know any thoughts you have, please feel free to delete this post if not relevant.

Many Thanks

Hi,

First post here. New member, feel free to delete / move this post if unimportant.

I discovered this site this week after a couple of frustrating weeks with SC2013 which I'm not going to bore you with here as I'm sure everyone is more than aware of the situation at present.

Anyway, I decided to DL SC4D via Steam and give that a go instead. I had never played even vanilla SC4 at any stage, and was unaware of Simtropolis. I followed this link   which mentioned some of the mods available and included a link to Simtropolis. 

However, the link posted above is also possible to download a .rar file with a few plugins including NAM, which I downloaded from the link provided. After following the further link to Simtropolis and getting a little curious, I noted that you can't download anything from the STEX without registering. I registered and wanted to point out the other page giving content away which requires (i think) a Simtropolis account in order to download from yourselves.

Now I don't know whether to delete all my plugins and begin re-downloading NAM or other mods as this will give me the most up to date versions and I don't want to break my game.

Little advice required, please let me know any thoughts you have, please feel free to delete this post if not relevant.

Many Thanks

I downloaded that .rar file and installed it myself just to see what was up with it, it looks pretty sound to me.  

The NAM is out of date, not bad though.  A simple download of the newest one and installation of it will fix that right up for ya.  If you do not want to upgrade the NAM included with this yet, you can just get the old RHWY 5.0 and install that and get the Traffic simulator configuration tool(this will make the NAM work, without it the traffic will still build up badly), that will pretty much complete the NAM package.

As to whether you can get other mods....Sure, load it up with mods!  I would!  Only thing I would watch out for adding mods in, is anything that messes with lights, I would get simfox's day-n-night mod, but I wouldn't get anything else, like a light realism mod or anything like that as it may very well conflict with the light mods installed already.

Lastly, this plugin folder has the CAM (collosus add on mod), this might make some buildings not work with this plugin folder.  TWrecks' Industrial Revolution Mod (IRM) for instance, his re-lotted buildings would not grow here, but the satelite add-ons for the IRM would.  I would install paeng's industrial replacement instead, that will definitely work with the CAM.

As always...MAKE SURE TO READ THE README WITH ALL DOWNLOADS!!  <===Can't stress that enough.

Basically, a download pack like that violates the spirit of our exchanges as well as the personal copyrights of each and every author whose material is included in such a thing. 

Whoever created that package is a cheat.  We try to keep a decent ethical standard around here and this just makes me sad.

• Original Poster
  • Basically, a download pack like that violates the spirit of our exchanges as well as the personal copyrights of each and every author whose material is included in such a thing. 

Whoever created that package is a cheat.  We try to keep a decent ethical standard around here and this just makes me sad.

That is one reason why I made the OP. I don't know if you are able to take any action but I wanted to bring it to your attention as I feel somewhat complicit for downloading the pack. In the defence of the site where I downloaded it they did not pass the work off as their own and provided links to here as well as some other community sites, doubt their motivation was malicious but still, I bring it to your attention here.

Attempted brief experiments last night. Overwhelmed at present with the options available to me. I can see that if I can get my head around a lot of this stuff it'll be pretty fun. The transport / network aspects are very interesting but having recently played openttd I'm sure I'm conflating aspects of that game with this. Happens when you reach a certain age I suppose.

These mega packages suffer from quite a few problems:

1) They are very hard to maintain and therefore often outdated (it's especially worse with dependency packs and the NAM).

2) You have no idea what it exactly contains. Maybe it contains a lot of "bloatware" you don't even use...

3) Copyright and credit issues. The content creators are not all too happy about this...

So, it's best to download the original mods from here or the SC4D LEX.

Best,

Maarten

• Original Poster
  • These mega packages suffer from quite a few problems:

1) They are very hard to maintain and therefore often outdated (it's especially worse with dependency packs and the NAM).

2) You have no idea what it exactly contains. Maybe it contains a lot of "bloatware" you don't even use...

3) Copyright and credit issues. The content creators are not all too happy about this...

So, it's best to download the original mods from here or the SC4D LEX.

Best,

Maarten

This was the other reason for my OP. Related question - is the best course of action for me to delete everything in the plugins folder and start again from scratch by re-downloading some mods?

Alternatively I can uninstall the entire game, re-DL from steam so I am starting from zero, and then start laying mods down on top of the virgin game?

Obviously i'll need NAM, but can probably look at some other mods recommended here as opposed to some of the stuff that was packaged in the DL that I grabbed initially.

I haven't started playing other than to mess around a bit failing with random intersections and whatnot, so I have no problem with starting again, and would indeed rather do it at this stage than get some way through a game which I then find out is broken / not fully functional.

Wait, where did you get the NAM from? As far as I know, the only sites that it's allowed to be on are Simtropolis and SC4D.

If you wish, you can delete. It will also give you the chance to explore the exchanges for mods and buildings that will personally suit you.

My course of recommendation:

1. Play with SC4 vanilla. Familiarize yourself and have fun.

2. Download NAM only. It is a big package, almost like a second expansion pack. Play around.

3. Gradually fill up with some aesthetic essentials. No one really likes the baby blue water, so pick up a water mod. Perhaps a terrain, rock, beach mod too.

4. Add to your collection with as many buildings as you choose!

Yes, playing with plugins is what has kept this game alive long past its best before date (2005 probably).  I agree with Yoshi in that a gradual accretion of suitable plugins is the best way to go.  You can use NAM V31 unless you want to do things with the RHW section in which case I'd hold out for V31.1.

Why not just rename your current plugins file to Plugins.old.  When you start the game it will create a new, empty folder for you.  Nothing drastic need be done.

Now, about downloads themselves:  I keep them all in a separate directory.  If this was windows it would be in Documents\Downloads\SC4Downloads.  Here is my current structure for these:

Downloads
    ├── Archi
    ├── Blender
    ├── BoomtownDesign
    ├── CNet
    ├── C++ReferenceCard
    ├── Dynex
    ├── Fluendo
    ├── GamersGate
    ├── irrlict
    ├── Microsoft
    ├── mspaint
    ├── muse score
    ├── OpenGL
    ├── Oracle
    ├── Rivit
    ├── SC2KMusic
    ├── SC4RelatedDownloads
    ├── SunMicrosystems
    ├── Tony Leva
    └── Virtucity

I don't know about you, but I keep everything I've downloaded except stuff I decide to remove.  This is a little cluttered right now and needs some attention, but it is subject to the usual procrastination.

In my SC4RelatedDownloads folder I keep everything related directly to the game.  It looks like this:

SC4RelatedDownloads
    ├── AaronGraham
    ├── Andreas Roth
    ├── A Nonny Moose
    ├── AshPikachu
    ├── Asia Corner Shops
    ├── boisemetro
    ├── Brenda_xne
    ├── BSC
    ├── Buggi
    ├── Building Architect Dude
    ├── Carlosau
    ├── claw
    ├── cogeo
    ├── Cougar2004
    ├── cowkilla
    ├── craig-abvcs
    ├── EA Addons
    ├── EA Original Regions
    ├── EA Plugins
    ├── EA Updates
    ├── Equinox
    ├── Flatron
    ├── FrexCeafus
    ├── Fribe
    ├── frolius666
    ├── Genzeo
    ├── giomedicci
    ├── goldiva
    ├── Greyveil
    ├── gshmails
    ├── GutterClub
    ├── HalJackey
    ├── Hamish
    ├── HeinBloed
    ├── IL
    ├── ilive
    ├── I. Lostalim
    ├── Jasoncw
    ├── Jason Leo
    ├── JB
    ├── KellyDale2003
    ├── Krio
    ├── LBT
    ├── lefteris
    ├── madhatter106
    ├── MattB325
    ├── MrSnoopy
    ├── nbcv
    ├── Network Addon Modd
    ├── nofunk
    ├── nycc06
    ├── Pegasus Productions
    ├── Porkissimo
    ├── profxyz
    ├── qbert2
    ├── RalphaelNinja
    ├── Reddonquixote
    ├── Regions
    ├── RFR
    ├── ripplejet
    ├── rivit
    ├── robinsden
    ├── roe99
    ├── RTMT
    ├── Rybolton
    ├── SCRT
    ├── Sgt.Pepper
    ├── SilentBreaker
    ├── SimCoug
    ├── SimGoober
    ├── smf_16
    ├── spa
    ├── stlassen
    ├── TheQuiltedLlama
    ├── Thorvin
    ├── timotheus4
    ├── toroca
    ├── Tropod
    ├── TurboSquid
    ├── TwinsFan14
    ├── TWrecks
    ├── uroncha
    ├── VIP Team
    ├── vlasky
    ├── Wallacet
    ├── wouanagaine
    ├── xyloxadoria
    └── Z1

88 directories

This in no way constitutes a recommendation for any plugins, but only as a structure illustration.  There is a similar structure in my Plugins folder, but they are not identical for logistical reasons.  This represents some 10 years of downloading custom content.