Sign in to follow this  
bau5

Issues running SimCity 4

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've recently been interested in getting SimCity 4 running, but have encountered an issue I haven't found the solution for around the internet (so far). I've read through much of the "getting the game working" sort of topics but haven't found my issue explicitly stated.

The problem is that after installation the game will simply not run. Despite all the compatibility options and combinations I've tried, the game won't even begin to run. I double click the icon, or shortcut with -cpucore and yadda yadda, and the screen flashes black. The odd thing is, that this isn't the only game that does it. The same behavior is exhibited by any of the Warcraft 3 titles. So, it seems to be a bigger issue than with just this game, but i'm hoping someone around here can help me figure out a fix. 

Info:

- Deluxe edition, not updated

- Intel i5-2500K 3.3 GHz, 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 w/1.5gb, Windows 7 Professional all updated and happy.

I've already done several hours worth of trouble shooting, so no "Did you disable desktop composition?" necessary. 

Thanks!

Sounds like a disconnected sound system.  You must have accelerated sound enabled and speaker/headset plugged in or the game just fails like that.  Try running dxdiag from your run box.

Also, please post exactly what you have in your command (target) line.

Have you considered Data Execution Prevention (DEP)? Sometimes it misinterprets some programs as invasive when it is just their normal execution. You may have to set SC4 to be bypassed in the DEP settings. If you need direction let us know. Welcome to SimTropolis!

• Original Poster
  • ounds like a disconnected sound system.  You must have accelerated sound enabled and speaker/headset plugged in or the game just fails like that.  Try running dxdiag from your run box.

Also, please post exactly what you have in your command (target) line.

Used the short cut target to add the parameters. 

This is in the target line: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\simcity 4.exe" -CPUCount:1 -f -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1900x1080x32

Accelerated sound? I googled it and tried a couple of the things that resulted from that, deselcting "Give exclusive mode applications priority" in the properties of the sound device. (Don't know if that's what you mean, but that's all I could find.

And also I have speakers & headset plugged in.

DXDiag said that there was a default sound device and all.

Have you considered Data Execution Prevention (DEP)? Sometimes it misinterprets some programs as invasive when it is just their normal execution. You may have to set SC4 to be bypassed in the DEP settings. If you need direction let us know. Welcome to SimTropolis!

I'll try changing the DEP settings to allow SC4 as an exception. And thanks!

Thanks for the replies also, really eager to get this working :D